IGNORED

Who are 'we' to name names ?

You have to be in the right spirit..........

Or perhaps vice versa?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Do we have any craft beer fans here? I highly recommend the new release from Stone Brewing, Xocoveza. As the name implies, it's a chocolate infused beer, specifically a milk stout. It also has spices, including chili peppers. It was the winner of Stone's home brewers competition. The creator was inspired by Mexican hot chocolate. It is not a beer for quaffing and one will do ya.

Wouldn't these enlist an expectation bias? LOL

We have a Scottish pub here in Minneapolis that hosts a Scotch tasting monthly. For $40 you get a flight of samples along with an expert presentation describing the distilling techniques, casks used, and what to anticipate in the taste. A great way to try some really exotic whiskeys.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Yes, but who gives a rat's ass. [emoji1]

Actually, you make a good point. There is a level of elitism that comes with the "scotch" affair.

I can enjoy a 12 YO Macallan as much a 40 YO GlenFarkles and not feel compelled to spend the extra $300. Some like to go the distance, I don't see the value in it.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

This was my assessment before this thread. This thread solidified it to me.

I also believe the OP thinks his command of English is excellent when it is not. That is not an insult to him just an observation. He has nothing to feel ashamed of though with his cultural outlook he probably does. When over a dozen people say they don't understand your posts it might be a clue that you aren't communicating clearly. Not to mention the apparent on going mutual misunderstanding occurring.

Having resided in several foreign countries over the years, I know how hard it is to communicate. I only have the deepest respect for anyone attempts to learn and use a foreign language. That said, Kaiser Willi sometimes sounds if he has had a gargle or two of an adult beverage before he hits the computer. I wonder what his favorite libation is?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I wonder what his favorite libation is?
When over a dozen people say they don't understand your posts it might be a clue that you aren't communicating clearly.

Truth is, it was my dying grandmother's wish that I don't touch alcohol like my grandad. Yet, although not a drinking buddy, am a designated driver.

Incidentally, who am I to have cited Tim de Paravicini ? We've exchanged emails, around 2001, when enquiring after his products. Recalling of him, last year, from my Facebook News Feed :

This was only part of his Scotch collection also owns AM 1985 Vantage with only 9 K miles!

10653656_846075532091887_5785121871978026968_n.jpg?oh=4563985baf832117ab3f0e8f7365c4b4&oe=57113B19

No, even having Mutual Friends, I didn't try to Add TdP as a Friend because I'm, as it is, neglecting exisiting friends.

Please hint to esldude that his fraternity is his...

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Democratic Republic of Congo???

Ha! Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. Burgundy, France.

If you have to ask, you can not afford it.

Kinda like half the audio equipment we wish we had.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Wow. If I could afford DRC..........

Someday I'm going to try La Tache just because I want to know what the fuss is about. But I had an interesting conversation with the last sommelier at the now defunct Le Bec Fin. We were at a party to which he brought some wonderful Burgundies in the $75 to $200 retail range. I told him how much I wanted to try DRC, and he basically told me not to bother. His exact words (as best I can remember them) were, "In my position, I can drink anything I want at least a few times a year - and I won't buy wines like DRC for myself. I have to say that I don't understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for that wine. It's very good, but so are the wines you're drinking now with me for a lot less money."

We've been told the same thing by several major figures in the food and beverage industry. The price reflects the hype, and there are many wines that offer about the same level of joy for a lot less money. I still want to taste it once, but I'm not going to underwrite the process.

Of course, I'd also like to hear a $250k audio system......

Ha! Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. Burgundy, France.

If you have to ask, you can not afford it.

Kinda like half the audio equipment we wish we had.

Oh, THAT DRC!? I've had it. It's a nice wine. Not worth the money though (to me, anyway). I've had wines from other regions and other countries such as OZ, SA, NZ, USA (and states like CA, OR, WA, etc.) that I have liked better. Nice thing about wine, it's a very democratic (small d) beverage. One can spend a fortune on a single bottle, and one can spend a pittance on a single bottle and enjoy that too. Ultimately, it's the taste of the wine, not the price, or the glowing prose that those who write about wine heap upon it (often, the "glowing praise" is responsible for the price!). I used to be a "wine snob", but I gave it up when I found that all I wanted was smooth, balanced red with the right amount of tannin and a good finish, and any number of merlots will provide that.

I am, however, still fussy about whisky. Some years ago, I switched from scotch (Laphroiag - 18 or preferably 25 year-old, mostly) to Kentucky bourbon (Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Pappy Van Winkle's) all from the Versailles (pronounced "Ver-sales", not Ver-sigh") Kentucky area. These bourbons have much more character (to me) than do any of the Single-malt or blended scotches. I had heretofore only been exposed to brands like Early Times, and Jim Beam, Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels (technically, not a bourbon, but close enough) and found them lacking in character and complexity, harsh and astringent. So for more than 40 years I was drawn to scotch (started with Teachers, ended with old "Lap-robe" and the Aberlore Glenfiddich. So when I was introduced to Woodford bourbon it was a revelation to me, and I've never looked back.

George

Way back in 1973, my wife was beginning her first full time paying job, as an intern at a local hospital. She said she wanted to buy me a special present for all the support I gave her through med school. At one of the area wine shops they had bottles of 1969 La Tache (of course DRC - only comes that way). She bought me two bottles. Not the greatest year, but still a La Tache. They were $15 each! Still a wonderful experience. You could buy Romanee St. Vivant Domaine Marey-Monge which had recently become a DRC wine, but from the time before the change (must have been the fine 1964 vintage) for $5 - which I did. This was all before the great explosion in wine prices in the mid '70's. My grad school roommates chipped in for a case of 1970 Ch. Latour futures for a wedding present for us in December 1970. It was about $150 for the case, IIRC. (We were married on Franck Sinatra's 55th birthday and just celebrated our 45th last week.) Back in 1967 or 68 I bought two bottles of 1961 Ch. Margaux for $9.95 each. It was a big splurge for me as a grad student. I passed up on a 1961 Ch Lafite because it was too expensive at $14.95.

Those were the days.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

To the OP, who are YOU to name names?

Precisely why transparency is what I've always favoured.

徐中銳 is my legal, passport name. And as a Computer Audiophile member, we naturally can name another for discussion ? But what of an anonymous Avatar delving into an identifiable real-world person's life and work ? I wanted to ask an entity I had Ignore listed that question of who are you ? But didn't want to break my own resolution to again be caught in endlessly fraught back-and-forth...

Perhaps this Thread is my dauntless public soul-searching that might be of some benefit...

Now, if you like, define yourself better as reply.

And what do you think of the CA community now, reflections of your 7 years membership ?

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Precisely why transparency is what I've always favoured.

徐中銳 is my legal' date=' passport name. And as a [b']Computer Audiophile[/b] member, we naturally can name another for discussion ? But what of an anonymous Avatar delving into an identifiable real-world person's life and work ? I wanted to ask an entity I had Ignore listed that question of who are you ? But didn't want to break my own resolution to again be caught in endlessly fraught back-and-forth...

Perhaps this Thread is my dauntless public soul-searching that might be of some benefit...

Now, if you like, define yourself better as reply.

And what do you think of the CA community now, reflections of your 7 years membership ?

By the way, I am interested in what you think. Really interested. Not in your mentors or people with status. Referencing them is fine. But my interest is in your own ideas about matters. Whether I agree or disagree, your ideas are worth putting up.

You speak of transparency, yet post the most oblique postings we have seen. Just say what you are thinking without all the filters from other people. Yes, many may reject, some may find commonality in it. Put it up. There is more to transparency than just a who am I version.

PS-with the assumption you actually read my posts though I am ignored. That is okay. I have people on ignore yet still read their posts. The ignore is just to remind me of certain fundamental differences in our perspectives. Which sometimes leads me to hopefully with some wisdom just ignore their posts rather than pointlessly responding to them. Pointless to me, to them and to the forum.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Wilhelm,

While I applaud your English skills, I believe you are trying to convey thoughts and ideas you can only properly express in your native tongue. This can make your posts a little hard for others to fully understand. I also believe you might miss what others are trying to tell you, causing you to misinterpret their words as insulting.

As an English teacher in Brazil, I often correct written compositions from my students. Even though these may be grammatically correct, I often cannot fully understand what the student really wants to express. Simply because they think in Portuguese.

Besides that, I believe there are some cultural differences at play here. Please remember that CA has members from all over the world; things that people write here may be perfectly acceptable where they are from, but for others from different parts of the world are quite unacceptable. Participating in a forum like CA, where differences of opinion are often voiced clearly, requires one to stay rather open minded and, perhaps more important, not to assume purposeful insult at first glance.

Regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

So, anyone have a clue what the original post, subject, and intention of this thread actually is? I'm more than happy to discuss libations (scotch in particular) but after more than 100 posts I'm still not quite sure what we should be discussing. I'm not the brightest light in the sky but ...

So, anyone have a clue what the original post, subject, and intention of this thread actually is? I'm more than happy to discuss libations (scotch in particular) but after more than 100 posts I'm still not quite sure what we should be discussing. I'm not the brightest light in the sky but ...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/who-are-we-name-names-26882/index2.html#post493098

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.