IGNORED

Who are 'we' to name names ?

I think what we have here is an LZ (that's OP) to whom the entire concept of reasoned debate is foreign. He's internalized his native society's 官本位 values (standard of the official/status based on officialdom), according to which, regardless of a person's native intelligence and personal integrity, they are assumed to be worthless without an officially recognized position. (Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit with respect to the society, but this is a real concept.) This is why he's not willing to state his own opinions, rather hiding behind the words of others whom he expects us to have more respect for.

Who does semente think he is to criticize the work of industry figures who have made good businesses on their skills? Why, a man with ears, just like Ken Ishiwata. Clearly, semente's posts on recording technique are motivated by the fact that artificial-sounding mixes are a major pain point for him, significantly impacting his enjoyment of recorded music. This may be an admirable quality or it may be a curse, but it has nothing to do with a desire to attack or discredit particular people.

The LZ has unfortunately misread the tone of several posts here that were meant as constructive criticism. My advice is, nobody will think less of you if you take back your promise to ignore esldude, semente, Jud and others. Tone easily gets lost in text-based forums; always try to interpret people's comments in the most charitable sense. And posts to this forum should be accessible to a wide audience, so avoid quoting people outside of this forum, and don't assume that we know what you mean.

This was my assessment before this thread. This thread solidified it to me.

Semente became a target because he criticized without the requisite status to do so. Having stepped over some protocol he needed to be hammered back down to his proper level as befit his status (or lack of status). There also may be something of the DSD of Blue Coast vs PCM of Mario issue behind it as well.

I also believe the OP thinks his command of English is excellent when it is not. That is not an insult to him just an observation. He has nothing to feel ashamed of though with his cultural outlook he probably does. When over a dozen people say they don't understand your posts it might be a clue that you aren't communicating clearly. Not to mention the apparent on going mutual misunderstanding occurring.

I guess it is good he has me on ignore. I still would suggest to Wilhelm to loosen up on the rigid status thing. It isn't how it works with those in the USA or Europe or other places. We would still welcome your views and input if they are about your views, knowledge and experience rather than being filtered through authority, status, and positional hierarchy.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Michter's and Eagle Rare are on my list to try, and will take a look at the Evan Williams. Can report that Angel's Envy and Buffalo Trace were disappointing, at least to me.

Nowadays there are just a few conglomerates that make most Bourbons ... and numerous little folks who just rebottle mass produced e.g. from the Seagram's plant in So. Indiana. You have to do some investigation to find authentic 'small batch'. In my experience price does not mean quality, so looks for the little guys and sample sample sample.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Anyone care to comment on Glenlivet Nadurra. Never tried it but it often pops up on 10-best lists at its price point.

I bought a bottle at the duty free shop in SF on my way back to Shanghai last week. Will sample and report back via PM soon.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Anyone care to comment on Glenlivet Nadurra. Never tried it but it often pops up on 10-best lists at its price point.

A darker Scotch similar in nose to the GL 12 with a little longer finish. Just as tasty.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Yes, a bit expensive but very good, high octane as well :) I was also impressed with the 18, nothing like the 12. Spent some time with the Glenlivet rep in a bar a few months ago and ended up buying both the Nadurra and the 18 the next day.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

bourbonr blog is a nice source of information and reviews.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I found Lagavulin (16) online a few years ago at $51 ... still slowly working my way through the cases :)

That's a great price. I rarely see it for less than $75 here in the twin cities. I can usually find GL 12 for under $30 - cheaper than Johnny Walker Black (which tastes a little better than a concoction of liquid smoke and rubbing alcohol).

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

In my experience price does not mean quality, so looks for the little guys and sample sample sample.

Yes!! I try to experience as much as I can in all things, so that my opinions are we'll founded. In this vein, I bought one Pappy VanWinkle when I had the opportunity........I won't do that again. It was very good, but I can get 20 bottles of Elijah Craig 12 for the price of one bottle of Pappy, and PVW is just not that much better in my opinion. 20 bottles of bourbon will last me until death & beyond. I'd rather spend the difference on audio stuff.

20 bottles of bourbon will last me until death & beyond.

You must either drink less than I do or be closer to shuffling off this mortal coil. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

...........cheaper than Johnny Walker Black (which tastes a little better than a concoction of liquid smoke and rubbing alcohol).

I don't think they use a really good grade of rubbing alcohol actually.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Somebody has to speak up for Islay ....

I enjoy the Islay single malts as well, particularly Lagavulin and Laphroig (Cask Strength, of course!). Over the past few years, the others I mentioned earlier, have become more and more my preferences. But, hey, if you invite me over for a pour or two of the ones you mentioned, I will be there.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

20 bottles of bourbon will last me until death & beyond.

Me too, but then so would one bottle. Something to do with a bottle of that stuff as a teenager with a girl out in the woods who forced me by her sheer awfulness to drink it whole and nearly die for the next couple of days. So now it's wine and beer only. Delights for sure, but not exactly sippers, unless it comes to desert wines. Or is dessert wines?

Chris

We have a Scottish pub here in Minneapolis that hosts a Scotch tasting monthly. For $40 you get a flight of samples along with an expert presentation describing the distilling techniques, casks used, and what to anticipate in the taste. A great way to try some really exotic whiskeys.