IGNORED

Who are 'we' to name names ?

Is jager & red bull a properly balanced shot, or not? If not what?

Oh the shot is well balanced. The shotee may be unbalanced shortly thereafter.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Willhelm, would honestly and above all simply state what it is you want here.

Chris

Polyphony, it's always good witnessing members' voices (and personally joining in too when time allows) ?

And, to warm-up, somewhat aptly, a cadence call, Jody, of our school's Irish butler :

« Come let us mock at the great

That had such burdens on the mind

And toiled so hard and late

To leave some monument behind,

Nor thought of the levelling wind.

Come let us mock at the wise ;

With all those calendars whereon

They fixed old aching eyes,

They never saw how seasons run,

And now but gape at the sun.

Come let us mock at the good

That fancied goodness might be gay,

And sick of solitude

Might proclaim a holiday :

Wind shrieked—and where are they ?

Mock mockers after that

That would not lift a hand maybe

To help good, wise or great

To bar that foul storm out, for we

Traffic in mockery. »

Then again, how often that being the case ? Tell me, Chris, you've been here for over 5 years.

Best wishes,

Will

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Polyphony' date=' it's always good witnessing members' [i']voices[/i] (and personally joining in too when time allows) ?

And, to warm-up, somewhat aptly, a cadence call, Jody, of our school's Irish butler :

« Come let us mock at the great

That had such burdens on the mind

And toiled so hard and late

To leave some monument behind,

Nor thought of the levelling wind.

Come let us mock at the wise ;

With all those calendars whereon

They fixed old aching eyes,

They never saw how seasons run,

And now but gape at the sun.

Come let us mock at the good

That fancied goodness might be gay,

And sick of solitude

Might proclaim a holiday :

Wind shrieked—and where are they ?

Mock mockers after that

That would not lift a hand maybe

To help good, wise or great

To bar that foul storm out, for we

Traffic in mockery. »

Then again, how often that being the case ? Tell me, Chris, you've been here for over 5 years.

Best wishes,

Will

Misanthropic troll perhaps????? Seems rather self satisfied and not satisfied with anyone else here at CA. Factor in a language and culture gap then you have it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Anyone who posts regularly should expect to be mocked or ridiculed at some time, that's just the way it is on the WWW. If you can't tolerate that and move on, you are going to be unhappy. Don't take it personally, just ignore it.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Well, Will, my personal view on mockery in most cases is, it's too easy. The only time it isn't, when you come up against a better mocker. But generally it's too easy, an easy chuckle or laugh that does nothing in the end, most of the time.

A fair number of folks here seem to love to mock, so be it; it's meaningless. My advice to you, ignore it. Take everyone off your ignore list and read their stuff. In the end some of it might amuse you and provide fodder for your further ruminations if you open your mind a bit. And by the way, some of the people you put on your ignore list seemed perfectly well intentioned to me.

Meanwhile, I'm sick of this. Perhaps you are just fooling around. Why won't you plainly and simply state what you want here? So, over and out for me, until you explain or state what you want here.

Chris

A quick reply, Chris, again am amid dinner preparations. From the last part of my first sentence of this Thread :

I'd like readers' input here about the question of « identity »
I know who I am. And I gather a sense of who each individual behind their Avatar is. So' date=' what of [/font']community ?

Well, semente's current drive propelled this, who's he (and why members don't speak-up ? Are they somehow deterred ?) to...

Incidentally, of other Ignored, esldude has proved me right in ending contact with him ? Jud and Paul R are, simply, too indefatigable from what I've read of their Postings. Thus, of their tone to me, I've ended any need for further...

Similarly, I first Ignored Daudio

There's limited time, energy.

If this Thread becomes a lightning rod for other's active participation or passive reflection, so be it

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

A quick reply' date=' [b']Chris[/b], again am amid dinner preparations. From the last part of my first sentence of this Thread :

I know who I am. And I gather a sense of who each individual behind their Avatar is. So, what of community ?

Well, semente's current drive propelled this, who's he (and why members don't speak-up ? Are they somehow deterred ?) to...

Incidentally, of other Ignored, esldude has proved me right in ending contact with him ? Jud and Paul R are, simply, too indefatigable from what I've read of their Postings. Thus, of their tone to me, I've ended any need for further...

Similarly, I first Ignored Daudio

There's limited time, energy.

If this Thread becomes a lightning rod for other's active participation or passive reflection, so be it

I guess this is as good a place as any for this comment: I really dislike the concept of an Ignore List. You may miss something that is potentially interesting, it is useful to hear opinions that differ from your own, and, after all, do people not have enough self-control to just not read something that they do not like when it is posted FFS?

On the other topic: Macallan Cask Strength or Dalmore for me, please.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Oh yes! The 12 year Dalmore is one of the best bargains in the world of whiskey.

Somebody has to speak up for Islay, so I guess that would be me - it's my malt of choice. There are still a few excellent $50 offerings from the land of briny peat (or is it peaty brine?), e.g. Ardbeg and Laphroaig. In decades of initially controlled trials that became more random as the evening progressed, I can report with a very tight confidence interval that irritating sonic aberrations reliably disappear into a warm, silky sound stage aglow with enharmonious effulgence.

I can also report that the recent, dramatic rise in Scotch prices has introduced some odd order harmonics that made it necessary to break in a whole new routine. Lagavulin at just shy of $100 a bottle (in Pennsylvania) is simply outrageous, so it's a good thing I like Ardbeg. I've been a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society for years, but their prices have also soared - they have very few bottles under $100 now, and some are pushing $300. It's a great group and I encourage any who love Scotch to join - the publications and monthly release notes are a real education (and pretty funny at times). You just have to learn to hit "delete" instead of "buy now".

1295355576162.jpg

Caol Ila is one of my favorite island scotches...

...and another fairly priced one at that. To stay on topic here at CA, I'd liken the level we're discussing now (Caol Ila, Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 etc) to Emotiva - well conceived, well made, and highly enjoyable. The marginal cost of subtleties preferred by some is high, and it's not at all a hardship to live at this level.

"I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no taste."

...and another fairly priced one at that. To stay on topic here at CA, I'd liken the level we're discussing now (Caol Ila, Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 etc) to Emotiva - well conceived, well made, and highly enjoyable. The marginal cost of subtleties preferred by some is high, and it's not at all a hardship to live at this level.

"I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no taste."

to paraphrase your last thought, I always liked: "If only the people who have money had taste and the people who have taste had money"! Pertains to my profession of architecture very frequently!

Not being a scotch connoisseur my golden spirit of choice is currently Comandon XO.

Jim

Misanthropic troll perhaps????? Seems rather self satisfied and not satisfied with anyone else here at CA. Factor in a language and culture gap then you have it.

I think what we have here is an LZ (that's OP) to whom the entire concept of reasoned debate is foreign. He's internalized his native society's 官本位 values (standard of the official/status based on officialdom), according to which, regardless of a person's native intelligence and personal integrity, they are assumed to be worthless without an officially recognized position. (Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit with respect to the society, but this is a real concept.) This is why he's not willing to state his own opinions, rather hiding behind the words of others whom he expects us to have more respect for.

Who does semente think he is to criticize the work of industry figures who have made good businesses on their skills? Why, a man with ears, just like Ken Ishiwata. Clearly, semente's posts on recording technique are motivated by the fact that artificial-sounding mixes are a major pain point for him, significantly impacting his enjoyment of recorded music. This may be an admirable quality or it may be a curse, but it has nothing to do with a desire to attack or discredit particular people.

The LZ has unfortunately misread the tone of several posts here that were meant as constructive criticism. My advice is, nobody will think less of you if you take back your promise to ignore esldude, semente, Jud and others. Tone easily gets lost in text-based forums; always try to interpret people's comments in the most charitable sense. And posts to this forum should be accessible to a wide audience, so avoid quoting people outside of this forum, and don't assume that we know what you mean.

Clearly, semente's posts on recording technique are motivated by the fact that artificial-sounding mixes are a major pain point for him, significantly impacting his enjoyment of recorded music. This may be an admirable quality or it may be a curse, but it has nothing to do with a desire to attack or discredit particular people.

The LZ has unfortunately misread the tone of several posts here that were meant as constructive criticism. My advice is, nobody will think less of you if you take back your promise to ignore esldude, semente, Jud and others. Tone easily gets lost in text-based forums; always try to interpret people's comments in the most charitable sense. And posts to this forum should be accessible to a wide audience, so avoid quoting people outside of this forum, and don't assume that we know what you mean.

If you read the OP's comments prior to this thread, it is clear that he seeks to discredit Mario Martinez via innuendo. My guess as to why is that he prefers DSD in general and Cookie Marenco's work in particular, though why he feels the need to tear Mario down rather than simply praise Cookie I have no idea.

This dislike extends to semente's praise of Mario and criticism of Cookie's recording techniques (criticism semente has moderated since hearing some of Cookie's recordings). So the OP has felt the need to establish an entire thread devoted to obtuse and roundabout criticism of another member, semente, wielding the mighty weapon of his ignorance - oh sorry, ignore list. Thus my earlier post regarding what I thought of this.

Going forward, I'm perfectly happy with the situation as it stands. I don't mind the OP's posts, since it's rather difficult to tell what he's saying anyway.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If you read the OP's comments prior to this thread, it is clear that he seeks to discredit Mario Martinez via innuendo. My guess as to why is that he prefers DSD in general and Cookie Marenco's work in particular, though why he feels the need to tear Mario down rather than simply praise Cookie I have no idea.

This dislike extends to semente's praise of Mario and criticism of Cookie's recording techniques (criticism semente has moderated since hearing some of Cookie's recordings). So the OP has felt the need to establish an entire thread devoted to obtuse and roundabout criticism of another member, semente, wielding the mighty weapon of his ignorance - oh sorry, ignore list. Thus my earlier post regarding what I thought of this.

Going forward, I'm perfectly happy with the situation as it stands. I don't mind the OP's posts, since it's rather difficult to tell what he's saying anyway.

Enough OT debate, can we get back to the nice scotch discussion instead?

Enough OT debate, can we get back to the nice scotch discussion instead?

Is bourbon OT? :)

Have sampled a few new ones lately, but still have a fondness for the not terribly expensive Hudson Baby.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Is bourbon OT? :)

Have sampled a few new ones lately, but still have a fondness for the not terribly expensive Hudson Baby.

Since we went to Louisville a few months ago, we've both been enjoying Elijah Craig 12 yr, Eagle Rare 10 yr, and Evan Williams single barrel (my wife discovered that she likes bourbon, after making fun of it for 4+ decades of marriage). These are all $35 or so, and they're very good. Michter's rye is also very good - a sip or two works well as room treatment, too.

I guess this is as good a place as any for this comment: I really dislike the concept of an Ignore List. You may miss something that is potentially interesting...

I respectfully disagree, although I wish it were otherwise. When a readily identifiable small number of people continually express the same predictable viewpoints with a determined lack of civility, often for the sole purpose of stirring up controversy, I believe the Ignore List serves a useful purpose if used sparingly.

Moreover, it makes it much easier to scan the forum threads more quickly for items that actually do inform and/or raise interesting issues. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Since we went to Louisville a few months ago, we've both been enjoying Elijah Craig 12 yr, Eagle Rare 10 yr, and Evan Williams single barrel (my wife discovered that she likes bourbon, after making fun of it for 4+ decades of marriage). These are all $35 or so, and they're very good. Michter's rye is also very good - a sip or two works well as room treatment, too.

Michter's and Eagle Rare are on my list to try, and will take a look at the Evan Williams. Can report that Angel's Envy and Buffalo Trace were disappointing, at least to me.

My current favorite American Whiskey is Defiant. It's an American MALT from North Carolina. It's not barrel aged, it gets aged with oak chips in the whiskey for only 60 days! This is looked down on in the world of wines, but I can tell you in this whiskey it makes for a very interesting product. It's a bit hot, but has some really interesting flavors and scents.