IGNORED

Who are 'we' to name names ?

So, without immediately citing the depressing Thread I've been studying, I'd like readers' input here about the question of « identity »

Mine, as I told site founder Chris Connaker before ever first Posting and as a step from my signature, is grounded by my being friends with Ken Ishiwata of Marantz. Yet besides discreetly stimulating awareness of Ken's work (that I've studied to inform my own buying—before he retires), I leap about sundry « Computer Audiophile » matters too (all of which you can easily check).

And, previously, that was wordplay, contrasting grounded and leaping in case you missed my way of writing :)

Okay, point is, who are other members who name industry personnel through 3rd party write-ups and personal evaluations of their work ?

Let's cite specifically, as an example, what does 'semente' know of Cookie Marenco when starting a severely uninformed public juxtaposition of her recordings to those of Mario Martinez—whom he dotes ?

Who's reputation and livelihood are truly at stake ?

Myself, I seek no glory. If anything, I'm practicing a sense of humanity... Anchored around how to be a better friend to Ken who I respect, and who I can write to (which he reads but may not have time answering)...

Your opinions ? Like should I go and defend Cookie with what I've read (that haven't been said) ?

There are, of course, many similar instances where mysterious people talk about identifiable industry figures—for good or ill ?

N.B. I could've hyperlinked more, however...

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

So' date=' without immediately citing the depressing Thread I've been studying, I'd like readers' input here about the question of « [b']identity[/b] »

Mine, as I told site founder Chris Connaker before ever first Posting and as a step from my signature, is grounded by my being friends with Ken Ishiwata of Marantz. Yet besides discreetly stimulating awareness of Ken's work (that I've studied to inform my own buying—before he retires), I leap about sundry « Computer Audiophile » matters too (all of which you can easily check).

And, previously, that was wordplay, contrasting grounded and leaping in case you missed my way of writing :)

Okay, point is, who are other members who name industry personnel through 3rd party write-ups and personal evaluations of their work ?

Let's cite specifically, as an example, what does 'semente' know of Cookie Marenco when starting a severely uninformed public juxtaposition of her recordings to those of Mario Martinez—whom he dotes ?

Who's reputation and livelihood are truly at stake ?

Myself, I seek no glory. If anything, I'm practicing a sense of humanity... Anchored around how to be a better friend to Ken who I respect, and who I can write to (which he reads but may not have time answering)...

Your opinions ? Like should I go and defend Cookie with what I've read (that haven't been said) ?

There are, of course, many similar instances where mysterious people talk about identifiable industry figures—for good or ill ?

N.B. I could've hyperlinked more, however...

Your post seems cryptic and yet driving at something. What are you driving at? If you're just asking questions, maybe you could ask one clear question to begin with.

You said, "There are, of course, many similar instances where mysterious people talk about identifiable industry figures—for good or ill ?" If the people are mysterious, treat their opinions as such. Even if their identities are not mysterious, I'd still consider treating their opinions with a bit of "mystery." :)

Chris

Greetings Chris,

I'm in the middle of dinner and should only write one or two quick thoughts...

10 days ago I placed semente on my Ignore List... « Cryptic » then is due to uncertainties of how, having freed myself, should I now critique him without seemingly being persecuting or bludgeoning ? Same (without the Ignoring) goes for critiquing Mario (who begot much goodwill).

«

an accurate picture

I will tell you straight up, I got quickly annoyed with your posts centered upon Ken Ishiwata. Not because I think poorly of Mr. Ishiwata. Because I want you to post something of your thoughts. I had the feeling of many of your posts that you know what you think about something just as soon as Ken indicates what you think. I don't find that at all valuable in a person.

Now maybe there is a language barrier and I didn't fully allow for that. I wouldn't mind you posting, "here is what Ken thinks" if something of you was in it. Posts like, hey Ken thinks this and I agree with him because ......and then detail your experiences that cause you to agree. Just being a parrot of Ken or other people of note does not have much interest or value to me. And your first posts, at least those I saw seemed to be nothing more than that. Maybe I misunderstood, if so my apologies.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Greetings Chris' date='[/font']

I'm in the middle of dinner and should only write one or two quick thoughts...

10 days ago I placed semente on my Ignore List... « Cryptic » then is due to uncertainties of how, having freed myself, should I now critique him without seemingly being persecuting or bludgeoning ? Same (without the Ignoring) goes for critiquing Mario (who begot much goodwill).

Comment on ideas, on details of posts. Drop commenting on the person posting.

So if someone is on your ignore list, you can comment upon, disagree with, or offer a counterpoint to the ideas, concepts or details of what the post is about. Then it isn't personal or attacking or bullying or persecuting.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Goodbye esldude' date=' you're now the 3rd name on my [i']Ignore List[/i] because, culturally, I'd be disrespecting my family in answering questions to your tone...

Well I am glad we got that out of the way then. May the mystical world you live in resolve itself happily for one who thinks in an involuted alluding manner. Happy times to you and yours.

Chris, I'm now certain that I won't ever directly respond to the names that are on my Ignore List.

Can a kind reader please explain, as best you can, to those I Ignore that I'm not interested in engaging with the ignored again in conversation. Many thanks

«

an accurate picture

Chris' date=' I'm [/font']now certain that I won't ever directly respond to the names that are on my Ignore List.

Can a kind reader please explain, as best you can, to those I Ignore that I'm not interested in engaging with the ignored again in conversation. Many thanks

You've named two (I think) so for the sake of clarity name the third and they'll all know. Or here's a novel idea, PM them so you don't need to do it in public.

Or perhaps you could ignore everyone who posts to the forum, so you would exist in a sort of mystical Zen state, "in" Computer Audiophile but not "of" it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Or perhaps you could ignore everyone who posts to the forum, so you would exist in a sort of mystical Zen state, "in" Computer Audiophile but not "of" it.

Hey that's pretty cool. Then I can finally reach consensus with topics such as PCM vs DSD, or vinyl vs digital - assuming of course that I can agree with myself. Blissfully happy in my own little asylum :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Your post seems cryptic and yet driving at something. What are you driving at? If you're just asking questions, maybe you could ask one clear question to begin with.

I share your confusion, Chris.

Okay' date=' point is, who are other members who name industry personnel through 3rd party write-ups and personal [i']evaluations[/i] of their work ?

If I understand you correctly, Wilhelm, you're expressing concern over inclusion of well known industry names in posts by people who don't actually know or have any connection to them. If you're asking what we all think of such "name dropping", I suspect that most find it as annoying and pretentious as I do. But there are many on this forum who actually do have personal and/or working relationships with industry leaders - so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. And more than a few CA regulars are or have been industry leaders themselves.

Ah, I see - you feel uniquely qualified to promote or disparage someone in the industry based upon your special knowledge. How self satisfying!

On the other hand, those of us who know fewer people in the industry, but have upon occasion had reason to deal with them, have no justification to speak about them or their products because that would be "threatening their livelihood."

Even embedding a sly threat that any "unauthorized" person saying anything could be putting their own reputation at risk.

I don't think you missed many of the bases. On the other hand, you do appear to come from a culture that has limited free speech, and ruthless - actually quite bloodthirsty - competition.

Mostly, I think, you miss the cultural operators. Cookie might be annoyed by something she reads here, but I doubt seriously she would feel threatened. She knows what her talent is worth, and that most of us will continue to purchase her recordings because we love her productions. Even those of us who disagree with some of her opinions and conclusions. That disagreement does not affect the quality of her work one iota. I doubt even more strongly that she needs you (or anyone) defending her either.

The same can, sadly, not be said for a few other entrepreneurs who visit the forum. Especially when their over the top ideas are met with resistance, questionings, and often, outright disbelief. (shrug) That is their problem.

You have no idea how many really highly intelligent people inhabit this forum, and how much the combined talent here represents. Mathematicians, Engineers of every stripe, musicians, craftsmen, actors, writers, poets, HVAC experts - you name it. Someone on here, usually several someones, has the experience.

I do get where you are coming from, I often feel the same frustration when subjects brush my professional areas.

But my best suggestion is to clamp down on that arrogance and instead, share your *own* opinions, not spend time trying to defend an industry "figure" who can do that perfectly well all by themselves.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, I feel really happy reading who Posted overnight (my time). It's in-the-open...

And I will briefly indicate who's new to my Ignore List after my quoting how, due to where I live, I'm not in a position for front-running-hands-on-experience, in as early as my fist Post (and have been reiterated at intervals) :

Greetings from New Zealand' date='

in short, although products are released here later than America or Europe, I want to be an [u']informed consumer[/u] and study...

Also :

Okay' date=' the sad facts about my country's Marantz retail prices. Google states that right now :

« 1 New Zealand Dollar equals

0.43 British Pound »

So, on the appointed distributor's own online sales site for the 2 standard (non SE) 14S1 products :

SA-14S1 $6599 NZD = £2833

PM-14S1 $6999 NZD = £3004

Now you know—how lucky you are in Europe :)

It's a great morning, I'm going to stroll to the local basketball park...

Simply, for me, what the following names wrote ends future conversation (will write some details later) and are now on my Ignore List, Jud and Paul R

«

an accurate picture

Hey that's pretty cool. Then I can finally reach consensus with topics such as PCM vs DSD, or vinyl vs digital - assuming of course that I can agree with myself. Blissfully happy in my own little asylum :)

Sheesh, how'd you miss out on Wilhelm's ignore list bonanza?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Double Post (somehow)...

Une chanson :

Translation:

Well' date=' I feel really happy reading who Posted overnight (my time). It's in-the-open...[/font']

And I will briefly indicate who's new to my Ignore List after my quoting how, due to where I live, I'm not in a position for front-running-hands-on-experience, in as early as my fist Post (and have been reiterated at intervals) :

Also :

It's a great morning, I'm going to stroll to the local basketball park...

Simply, for me, what the following names wrote ends future conversation (will write some details later) and are now on my Ignore List, Jud and Paul R

I won't join in except to say, how immature. Now add me to your list!

Jud has my vote as well.

Tack on another vote for Jud's post from me.

LOL, you guys are a tough crowd. [emoji1] There are some language and cultural issues at play here, along with a need for a healthy application of Internet Skin Thickener. It comes in 12oz. bottles with a roll on applicator.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

LOL, you guys are a tough crowd. [emoji1] There are some language and cultural issues at play here, along with a need for a healthy application of Internet Skin Thickener. It comes in 12oz. bottles with a roll on applicator.

My skin thickener of choice generally comes in a 750 ml bottle .. Glenmorangie is on the label :)