IGNORED

Best format from which to upsample to DSD

I have CDs ripped to an NAS in various formats, mostly m4a, with some wv, wav and flac. I like the sound of music upsampled to DSD using JRMC 20 playing through an exaSound e12, but the CAPS v3 server doesn't seem to have the muscle to do it on the fly. Lately I've been ripping new CDs directly to DSD using JRMC directly from the disk.

The question is: to get the benefits of upsampling from the previously ripped music, is there any advantage to doing so directly from the CD? Or to put it another way, do I need to re-rip the music?

Some people, including me, feel offline upsampling sounds better than inline upsampling. Whether you hear any difference (or if you have problems with inline upsampling), and whether this is enough to persuade you to go through re-ripping, is up to you.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Personally I would always rip to 16/44.1 and ensure you keep a native copy as FLAC (FLAC recommended due to good support as well as internal checksum to spot later errors)

If you want to upsample afterwards thats upto you. But keep the original and any later up sampling can be done in a batch process with a few clicks rather than having to feed all your disks in again!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.