IGNORED

next upgrade opinion: another lps or Paul Pang v4 usb?

tboooe

Before anyone makes any comments I fully intend to make my own decision but I was curious to hear people's opinion who may have experience with what I plan on doing.

My system components are in my signature. Basically I have a 2 pc system running Jplay and Minimserver. I am using the standard usb output of the mobo. Though not ideal, I use a single 19v, 6a Keces DC-116 linear power supply for both of my audio and control pc's . According to my measurements I am drawing about 4amps. I know that the closer to the maximum output of the lps I run, the higher the ripple. Based on this so this situation I am considering 2 options for my next upgrade:

1. HDPlex 100w linear power supply - I would use this lps to not only power my audio pc but also experiment with powering the ssd, cpu, and ulultimately a usb card separately. I don't know if powering the various components separately will yield any improvement though feedback on this forum has been positive.

2. Paul Pang v4 usb - since I am just using the usb output of the mobo I have to believe any upgrade will be an improvement. The PP card looks really interesting because of the clock.

Right now I am leaning towards getting another lps just because I've always had good results with power upgrades. However, I have never used any audiophile type usb card so I have idea what kind of improvements are possible.

I appreciate your opinions.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Have you tried a Regen or IFI? Really works. You will likely benefit quite a bit if not already using USB cleanup products.

Thank you for the input. I have seriously considered the Regen but I feel that it may be a bandaid. Would I need a Regen if I get a really good USB card like Paul Pang, JCat, SotM, etc? Conversely, do I need one of those audiophile USB cards if I get a Regen?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I think the biggest bang is with the Regen since it regenerates the signal at the destination and cleans power if need be for your DAC. I never tried the cards since they were not for the Mac so I don't know if it matters much once you have a Regen in the path. If you only have the card, lots can still happen on the way to the DAC.

I use the Paul Pang V2 Usb card and it improves the sound a lot compared to onboard usb. V4 should be even better.

I use the PP V2 and it is a noticeable improvement over m/board usb. Regen also made an improvement when added to PP card

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

Thank you for the input. I have seriously considered the Regen but I feel that it may be a bandaid. Would I need a Regen if I get a really good USB card like Paul Pang, JCat, SotM, etc? Conversely, do I need one of those audiophile USB cards if I get a Regen?

Agree.

Regen is for the system which you can't do much in upgrading such as taplet or notebook something like that.

Problem is not solved at the first place while clock upgrade on usb card seem s answer the question.

My experience is pp v4 usb card sounds more space in between music instruments. Scale is bigger. Sound stage is wider deeper and higher. And especially sound image is very much clear and clean and analogy sound.

That is my impression to V4 usb card.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Here is a somewhat different option, if your choice is between a V4 or a new LPS (because you can't afford both) I would recommend a V2 AND an LPS to drive it. A V2 takes a lot less current so it doesn't need nearly as big a PS.

My personal opinion is that a V2 and a small good supply for just it will give the best improvement for the money than any of the other options. Yes a V4 will sound slightly better than the V2, but if you don't give it its own PS you will be wasting those improvements.

Disclaimer: I have not done this with these particular parts, but I have built many DACs and systems with many different clocking and power supply implementations and the above almost universally holds true. A good but not best external USB powered by its own good supply will beat a REALLY good external USB powered from the same source as everything else.

John S.

^^ Thank you John your respected input is much appreciated. The price between the v2 and v4 is not that much different to me so I will probably go with the v4 so I have options in the future and wont be wondering what if.

I will ultimately get an LPS to power the USB or do as some others and utilize a low noise voltage regulator to convert the internal 12v to 5v. I am in the middle of testing if using an LPS or internal power regulated with this low noise voltage regulator to power an SSD sounds better.

Again, I appreciate your input. It definitely gives me food for thought.

Other components:

I agree to JohnSwenson. LPSU is very important. I have experienced this by myself as the following step.

1 V4 + pc internal switching ps via molex won't help much. The SQ is not good enough.

2 V4 + ext LPSU (i used TeraDak 30w 3A feed it) actually it requires less watt and only 1.5A but lower than that, Not available (TeraDak)

I think this is the best choice if you can't afford such an ATX LPSU for the whole component.

It sounds very much better. It seems isolate from USB noise in regular usb port. Quieter, smoother, warmer, bigger sound stage and especially clarity is superb.

3 Now i ended up with ATX LPSU for other components while keep using a small LPSU for V4

I've ever compared by feeding it from ATX LPSU vs its own LPSU, the SQ difference still audible but may not worth the cost.

By the way. It's up to you and your budget.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

Now my component is not Fanless yet (using fanfilter for them) but i have a plan to change it next month to HDPLEX H5 2nd gen (during consulting with Larry HDPLEX because TeraDak 35mm power inlet doesn't fit with it. It may be tweaked or something.

12167610_1641557776121720_721761836_n.jpg

12166961_1641557846121713_580299575_n.jpg

12167068_1641557902788374_507068000_n.jpg

11890913_1620681074876057_1265025039944243940_n.jpg

12180075_1642076236069874_628206998_n.jpg

11863326_1621017458175752_1719155337876086383_n.jpg

a lot of this depends on budget.

I am using V4 and OCXO mobo clock. both powered by LT3042.

I have compared above with V2 and there is clear difference in sound, quite noticeable.

after the upgrade, then i found the bottleneck at DDC. so it goes back and forth.

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II