IGNORED

Dirac Live newbie... anyone else's room measure so badly...? Is bass "boost" so wrong...?

That's correct but we should take into account that that curve is already "built in", we don't need to emulate it in a Dirac target curve... what we should eventually consider is the difference in sensibility among those curves at a different listening volume.

Also a lack of "punch" or "impact" of the bass is a common complaint... even if it is caused by the removal of the bass boost at some frequencies caused by the room, modifying the target with one with a steeper slope or a bass boost is a good idea.

It is anyhow possible to easily modify it later on if, in time, someone finds that the bass boost should be reduced.

Happy New Year :)

Flavio

Thanks Flak. Just as found by me and others. Modified with a bass boost and all is well. Overall improvement now compared to prior to Dirac.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Thanks Flak. Just as found by me and others. Modified with a bass boost and all is well. Overall improvement now compared to prior to Dirac.

Thanks Liam... furthermore attenuated perceived bass that justifies a bass boost may be caused by other factors also, for example a lower listening volume (in general the higher the volume the flatter the preferable frequency response) as hinted by Kafy.

Ciao, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

Have been starting with Dirac Live, stereo....

Room is large, rectangular, with speakers pointing down the long axis, with one speaker in a corner too near the side wall (mostly glass...) and the other 2.5m apart and far away from a side wall (cannot be changed, unfortunately...). High 4m, uneven ceiling.

Listening position is 3.5m from the centrepoint of the speakers.

Speakers have AMT tweeters.

Used "couch" setting for measurement and UMIK-1 microphone.

So.... this is the waveform, both left and right. There is a large spike at 70Hz on the left (?!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22690[/ATTACH]

The suggested target curve.... I found not very dynamic and "flattened"....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22691[/ATTACH]

To get some of the bass back...! I have found this much better.... Large sweet spot, better imaging, lovely soundstage!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22692[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22693[/ATTACH]

I am not sure if I have committed audiophile blasphemy with the target curve....

I would welcome any comments or suggestions!

My God your blessed with those measurements.

Joking a little bit, but they are pretty good.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
My God your blessed with those measurements.

Joking a little bit, but they are pretty good.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Thanks Deano2!

I have no reference to compare with - but the sound is very good :)

Do you have any graphs of bad or even more common measurements?

Cheers,

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

I have some measurements of magneplanar 1.7's in tandem with two subwoofers, as measured by DSPeaker anti mode 2.0 by they would be photographed. You will see a dip at 150 hz and the horrendous above 3khz which I believe is just an artefact of poor measurements of Magneplanar's. I'll have to do it tomorrow. It's evening here and the lighting is poor.

I have some measurements of magneplanar 1.7's in tandem with two subwoofers, as measured by DSPeaker anti mode 2.0 by they would be photographed. You will see a dip at 150 hz and the horrendous above 3khz which I believe is just an artefact of poor measurements of Magneplanar's. I'll have to do it tomorrow. It's evening here and the lighting is poor.

Sounds interesting!

I was briefly incapable of measurements after my 8 year old son accidentally ripped the rear out of the UMIK (trying to help remove the USB cable) and tearing the wires from the actual microphone. Was unable to resolder...

Ended up shipping another from the USA.... Son is now fully supervised!

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

Hi eternaloptimist

Your measurements look good, the 70 bump is quite normal too. That´s why we have Dirac, to solve exactly that kind of things ;=)

Flat target curves sound dull and hard to our ears. Remember, there is not ONE flat frequency curve in nature, only in human computer design. And that´s why these flat curves sound bad to our ears.

The only thing I would correct (sic) is to make a small dip (lower the frequency response) in your 3 kHz area a little bit, to follow the sound of your beloved speakers. Everything is quite good as far as I can see from your target curve.

And no blasphemy - hey if it sounds good it IS good ;=)

Enjoy your Dirac, it really is not to live without isn´t?

PS Due to a baby soon arriving in our home, I had to position the speakers with a different level in both height and in distance to my couch. And you know what, after a Dirac healing everything is in good order again. When I bypass Dirac the sound is like coming out of a closet - in my neighbors house ;=)

KnockKnock

Hi Everyone,

Have been starting with Dirac Live, stereo....

Room is large, rectangular, with speakers pointing down the long axis, with one speaker in a corner too near the side wall (mostly glass...) and the other 2.5m apart and far away from a side wall (cannot be changed, unfortunately...). High 4m, uneven ceiling.

Listening position is 3.5m from the centrepoint of the speakers.

Speakers have AMT tweeters.

Used "couch" setting for measurement and UMIK-1 microphone.

So.... this is the waveform, both left and right. There is a large spike at 70Hz on the left (?!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22690[/ATTACH]

The suggested target curve.... I found not very dynamic and "flattened"....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22691[/ATTACH]

To get some of the bass back...! I have found this much better.... Large sweet spot, better imaging, lovely soundstage!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22692[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22693[/ATTACH]

I am not sure if I have committed audiophile blasphemy with the target curve....

I would welcome any comments or suggestions!