IGNORED

Hybrid SACDs

jeffnesh

There seem to be many well reviewed recordings available on SACD. I don't have an SACD player. I have the right PS3 for ripping SACDs to DSD, but the firmware is at 4+, so no go. And regardless, my DAC like's PCM.

SO. Are the hybrid SACD's worth it, for ripping the redbook layer? I think I understand that the mastering is usually the same, so a well regarded SACD should be a pretty decent 44.1/16 set of files, correct?

Thoughts on the value of a well regarded hybrid SACD vs. a regular CD or a 96/24 hi res download?

Or should I bite the bullet and explore an SACD transport?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

SO. Are the hybrid SACD's worth it, for ripping the redbook layer? I think I understand that the mastering is usually the same, so a well regarded SACD should be a pretty decent 44.1/16 set of files, correct?

Yes. Ripping the CD layer of a SACD just works like ripping a CD.

There are rare exceptions where the mastering of the SACD and CD layers are different, for example:

- Mercury Living Presence SACDs: SACD layer is a new transfer, while the CD layer uses the 1990's CD mastering

- Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon: CD layer is more compressed

Claude

should I bite the bullet and explore an SACD transport?

SACD is my favourite digital format. The exact same recordings are often available on SACD for a fraction of the cost of the DSD download.

If you like SACD my advice is get an SACD player, especially one that can also double as a DSD/PCM DAC.

The Oppo 105 is probably the most popular choice in the up to c. £1k category. IMO after that you are not getting a significant jump in SQ until you reach the £3k and more probably £5k mark.

Be aware that most SACD transports are designed to only work with the matching DAC. The Oppo can output DSD from SACD over HDMI, but afaik the Bryston BDA3 is the only DAC that can input DSD over HDMI.

Another option is to modify an Oppo 103 with a Vanity DoP digital output board. That should give you an SACD transport that can output DSD from a SACD to any DAC that will accept DSD (DoP) over SPDif.

Thanks for the advice so far. Yep, already threw my name into the Mr Wicked project, just in case.

Not sure I need another DAC. Happy with the one built into my Parasound. (Only other DAC that's caught my eye is the Schiit, which doesn't do DSD anyway, so to leverage SACD, it's back to ripping or a player.)

Also, straight up 2 channel audio...no need for surround, video or hdmi. That's why I was hoping to get a sense for the CD layer on SACDs and it's relative quality to otherly-mastered CDs or the DSD layer (albeit at lower sample rates, etc.). Hoping to save the player and loss of space (which is nonexistent) in the rack.

But if I player is the best route, I'm not opposed. Knowing those requirements (2 channel, audio only, high quality) are there *smaller* options than the Oppo 105?

There seem to be many well reviewed recordings available on SACD. I don't have an SACD player. I have the right PS3 for ripping SACDs to DSD, but the firmware is at 4+, so no go. And regardless, my DAC like's PCM.

Thoughts on the value of a well regarded hybrid SACD vs. a regular CD or a 96/24 hi res download?

Or should I bite the bullet and explore an SACD transport?

If you don't have and aren't planning to buy an SACD player in the future, and, again, if, the recording is available in a (cheaper) Red Book only version, then, obviously, buy that. Otherwise, a regular CD player will treat a hybrid SACD/CD disc as a standard CD and you should have no problem ripping it with any PC/Mac/Linux computer.

George

Why not buy a PS3 with the fitting firmware version? I got mine on ebay. A second approach is to ask at a local game-console shop. They always buy used stuff and sooner or later they get the right one and then they could call you.

But I would never buy the CD instead of the SACD, only because you cannot play / rip it at the moment. The SACD's are not that expensive - in general.

Otherwise, a regular CD player will treat a hybrid SACD/CD disc as a standard CD and you should have no problem ripping it with any PC/Mac/Linux computer.21rTbqI

Yeah? So? It seems clear enough to me. If you are confused, you'll have to be specific before I can clarify anything. I'm not a mind-reader. :)

George