IGNORED

I now get Roon..

I'm with Paul. Nicely put Paul. Oh.. and I am not a Brit. I am an Australian actually. But hey...thanks for the compliment. It's nice to remember where ya roots once lay: Tower Hamlets. Americanization of our culture is like "so done" already. At least we still have 230V and a three pinned plug! OMG the "West Coast" Hollywood influence on our culture is painful! Is there any way of turning back? :) hahaha ...Regarding Roon.."Get it"......sure., but enjoy foolin yourselves it's going to make a difference in your lives.. LOL Pauls right. Got to KISS: (keep it simple stupid). I'll take another look at considering Roon when I hear around these traps it's KISS.. Have a great festive season everyone.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I'm with Paul. Nicely put Paul. Oh.. and I am not a Brit. I am an Australian actually. But hey...thanks for the compliment. It's nice to remember where ya roots once lay: Tower Hamlets. Americanization of our culture is like "so done" already. At least we still have 230V and a three pinned plug! OMG the "West Coast" Hollywood influence on our culture is painful! Is there any way of turning back? :) hahaha ...Regarding Roon.."Get it"......sure., but enjoy foolin yourselves it's going to make a difference in your lives.. LOL Pauls right. Got to KISS: (keep it simple stupid). I'll take another look at considering Roon when I hear around these traps it's KISS.. Have a great festive season everyone.

Did I mistakenly call you a Brit? Apologies. *You* have *beaches*! :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I am not hating on Roon and understand why it works well for some. But to declare that it is more than a pretty interface that integrates one's music library and streaming seems a bit far fetched to me. .

Who needs a smart phone when any simple cell phone can complete the call?

Who needs a fast computer when typing a few emails is all they do?

Who needs a Porsche when a Pinto can get you there?

Who needs Roon when iTunes will organize your library for free?

I get it. If that is what you and Paul are suggesting, keep enjoying whatever you have. ?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I get it. If that is what you and Paul are suggesting, keep enjoying whatever you have. ��

Sure. Fair point..

so how does having Audirvana and Roon together ( like you do) work?

..and how would this combo simplify my life ?

I currently use A+ as well

Cheers

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I'm with Paul. Nicely put Paul. Oh.. and I am not a Brit. I am an Australian actually.

Its Wapping High Street, E1 which confuses everyone!

I still want to try to "get" Roon but I can't currently get it as no computer connected to my Naim so still waiting see what Roon Speakers might bring.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I get it. If that is what you and Paul are suggesting, keep enjoying whatever you have. ��

Clearly you are missing my point.

I never use iTunes. I have a smart phone, many fast computers, and a very nice German car.

I greatly prefer listening to music to looking at album covers and metadata, so excellent music and SQ is what drives my spending in this area. So, yes, spend your money to be able to organize and view your music collection in a very pretty way if you choose. I will spend mine in ways that make a difference in my life.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Sure. Fair point.. so how does having Audirvana and Roon together ( like you do) work?

..and how would this combo simplify my life ? I currently use A+ as well

Cheers

Life is complex, so simplicity need not equal happiness.... :) Today, having Audirvana and Roon together makes for tough choices. I still porefer the sound of A+ over that of Roon, standing alone. I expect that will change once HQPlayer is better integrated with Roon as I like HQP (when set up appropriately for what I'm listening to), slightly better than A+.

So. On days when I know exactly what album I want to listen to, I use A+. Most days, however, when I first sit down, I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for. Those days I use Roon. On average, I'm now using Roon 4/5th's of the time.

Your listening patterns may obviously be quite different. It sounds like "tne" always knows exactly what he wants to listen to and therefore has no need for any library management -- someone for whom HQP, by itself, is perfect.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I get it. If that is what you and Paul are suggesting, keep enjoying whatever you have. 

Nope- I was just thinking that if you listen to a vinyl guy, and a Roon guy, the words vinyl and roon could be pretty inter-changeable in the conversations.

To be honest, I like Roon, but it does not sound significantly different or better to me than JRMC on a Mac. And I am really happy with Sonos for streaming, despite the shortcomings. That would be taking into account my wife adores Sonos, which is, I admit, a huge factor. ;)

When I have more time to spend with it, my opinons may change!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1. I was just thinking that if you listen to a vinyl guy, and a Roon guy, the words vinyl and roon could be pretty inter-changeable in the conversations.

2. To be honest, I like Roon, but it does not sound significantly different or better to me than JRMC on a Mac. And I am really happy with Sonos for streaming, despite the shortcomings. That would be taking into account my wife adores Sonos, which is, I admit, a huge factor. ;)

Paul:

1. Ah yes, the religious level of product loyalty, the unwillingness to listen to reason, or maybe listen or reason at all... Yup, I get that part. :)

2. Today, Roon isn't yet about sounding better (my view), although I do think HQPlayer integration will change that. I also think that those who have spent the time with JRMC to properly set up their libraries, filters, settings, format conversions, etc. it becomes the "one you're with and thus the one you love..." For those of us who never really spent enough time with the JRMC manual, Roon fels like it does more of that intuitively BUT I can't say it does more (or even maybe as much if you also use JRMC for upsampling, etc) than a properly set up JRMC.

Nope- I was just thinking that if you listen to a vinyl guy, and a Roon guy, the words vinyl and roon could be pretty inter-changeable in the conversations.

To be honest, I like Roon, but it does not sound significantly different or better to me than JRMC on a Mac. And I am really happy with Sonos for streaming, despite the shortcomings. That would be taking into account my wife adores Sonos, which is, I admit, a huge factor. ;)

When I have more time to spend with it, my opinons may change!

Well I don't use it on a Mac BUT have compared it extensively to JRMC on Windows. As to SQ currently I like JRMC + AO + Fidelizer in core mode on 2012 R2 currently not possible with Roon

With Roon I can only use it with miminal sever and AO and to me sounds better without Fidelizer.

Maybe when it integrates with HQP which I have no experience with it will have a better SQ or possibly Win 10 + AO

To me Sq comes first but I do love the Roon interface and look forward to all the new enhancements