IGNORED

I now get Roon..

wappinghigh

Trouble is:

No Spotify

No Multichannel

No real dedicated Roon capable streamers yet..

But I get the point of Roon....

Try getting one of the most influential and ground breaking pieces of music of the 20C on Spotify or Tidal...

Wendy Carlos Switched on Bach

That's why we need Roon to develop..

Wap

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I get what Roon is about too, but a complex commercial app without any user documentation or built-in help is rather pathetic. And no, an online forum is not a substitute for documentation.

In my case, Roon does nothing but add another layer of complexity to my setup.

I tried roon. Uninstalled it the same day.I didn't like how hidden the last.fm options are.I didn't like how in-your-face the tidal integration is (even after I said I didn't have tidal and didn't want tidal)I didn't like how ineffective it was at labeling my music. (only understands metadata and file names, no fingerprinting services available like musicbrainz picard).I didn't like how expensive it is to continue using without any further charges.unless they significantly reduce the lifetime charge AND significantly step up their game in actually delivering the metadata experience they try to sell you on, roon can take a walk.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

They've made a lot of improvements over the past few months, listening to folks like us. For instance, now (at least for me) Roon defaults to my library and doesn't step over to a Tidal until I tell it to. And when it does branch off into Tidal it always selects my higher res files when it encounters duplicity. Roon can also read your own tags and allows you to modify their tagging in a locally cached file.

If you already have all the music you wish to hear than Roon may not be for you. But if like to hear new things, and occasionally stumble across a hidden gem, then Roon is a great way to explore. If Roon could figure out how to get sales credit for music it presents to you, like Shazam does, then they could probably lower the cost to the end users. I know I've purchased over 20 albums over the past few months strictly due to Roon's exposure to those artists.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Yeh.. Like I said. I get the point of it, but isn't it a bit too beta to be charging an annual fee?

A monthly one.. sure... for a beta.. but an annual?

That's what I thought, so I never installed the trial.. Just my 2c..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Yeh.. Like I said. I get the point of it, but isn't it a bit too beta to be charging an annual fee?

A monthly one.. sure... for a beta.. but an annual?

That's what I thought, so I never installed the trial.. Just my 2c..

Why do you call it a Beta? It's on version 1.1 and is already a mature SW, as far as I can see. It works well and is regularly improving and adding features - including many requested by users.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I was the same way. I didn't want to give them my CC. But what you probably could do is get a prepaid visa with like 5 dollars on it or something and use that. then you can use the trial and if you forget to cancel it, what are you out? Although your metadata needs to be perfect beforehand because roon's metadata experience is definitely additive rather than truly intelligent.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

I didn't like the year only commit. That's it. Forget it. I aint doing that.

I call it beta because there are no "Roon ready" devices... as far as I can tell..

But like I said, I get the idea of Roon.. just deliver on the above and I'll commit for a year.. :)

So you "get it", yet you've never tried it. Very informative.

With all due respect a likely customer can get the concept (in this case blending online streaming services with your own personal digital library) without actually trying it..

It's not my fault (as a potential customer) I didn't want to take the trial further or commit to the annual..(after the reviews I read and a search of their forums showed the current deficiencies...)

I can still "get it" though...

:)

You get Roon but you don't have Roon.

Noxious Brits will then ask, "have you got Roon?"

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

That and the name needs a t:

"How's that new CD?"

"Roont."

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

You get Roon but you don't have Roon.

Noxious Brits will then ask, "have you got Roon?"

Are those noxious Brits any worse than those noxious Americans wanting to keep out all Muslims?

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I tried roon. Uninstalled it the same day.

Same ( though it was early on)

They've made a lot of improvements over the past few months, listening to folks like us. For instance, now (at least for me) Roon defaults to my library and doesn't step over to a Tidal until I tell it to. .

Good to know:

my 2 issues/questions are/were:

- classical music was problematical in Roon

- it would override my own tagging.

Have these been really/truely improved/fixed? or just "patched"

Are those noxious Brits any worse than those noxious Americans wanting to keep out all Muslims?

What is the relevance of this to Roon or this forum?

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Why didn't you ask this about the first post, about 'noxious Brits'?

At least the word "Roon" was in that post, and also there was no inflammatory political aspects to it.

Can you not understand this clear difference?

At least the word "Roon" was in that post, and also there was no inflammatory political aspects to it.

I don't think any gratuitous bigoted insult based on race or religion has a place on this forum and I certainly don't see why either is more acceptable. And it certainly is not excused simply because the word 'Roon' is in the post.

I don't think any gratuitous bigoted insult based on race or religion has a place on this forum ....

We are in complete agreement about this, therefore my comment.

I did not realise that some considered being British as a race or religion, and if you do not see the difference in the meanness of the two comments (one meant, I believe, as a playful poke, the other as an inflammatory political statement), then there is nothing else I can say.

Mainly I do not believe that this forum should devolve into political discourse - many others are available for that. If you need a lesson about this, search the Roger Waters/anti-semitism thread of a while back. What a clusterf#ck that was!

Now back on topic, please....

Good to know:

Maneuvering through classical music has been improved - but I'm not sure anyone has come up with a universal tagging system for classical that all of us could agree on.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I did not realise that some considered being British as a race or religion, and if you do not see the difference in the meanness of the two comments (one meant, I believe, as a playful poke, the other as an inflammatory political statement), then there is nothing else I can say.

Mainly I do not believe that this forum should devolve into political discourse - many others are available for that. If you need a lesson about this, search the Roger Waters/anti-semitism thread of a while back. What a clusterf#ck that was!

Sorry, I meant to insert the word 'nationality' along with 'race or religion'. But you're right: there's certainly no future in perpetuating this.

I don't think any gratuitous bigoted insult based on race or religion has a place on this forum and I certainly don't see why either is more acceptable. And it certainly is not excused simply because the word 'Roon' is in the post.

Sorry, I meant to insert the word 'nationality' along with 'race or religion'. But you're right: there's certainly no future in perpetuating this.

To Wap, Cebolla, Craig, and tne:

My thanks to tne who correctly saw my post as a "playful poke." "Noxious" in my case simply referred to the common British use of the particular phrase, almost never spoken in the U.S.A., "have got." To Cebolla and Craig, I'm sorry you read my post as having an offensive intent, but I'm glad you raised the matter so I can comment:

I love Britain and its people, *wherever* they come from. I love those with all colors and shapes, all religions, all beliefs, even when those beliefs deeply oppose mine. I can say the same about all other countries, because that is *my* religion. Wap has a wonderful moniker that reminds me of beautiful hamlets in Britain like Chipping Camden and Moreton-in-the-Marsh.

I am saddened and disgusted by the xenophobic, jingoistic, and bigoted statements that have emerged from my country, especially in the Republican Party Primary campaign. I lament the undoing of so much hard work and sacrifice, made by people everywhere, to bring the world together.

And Wap's nickname *sounds* like an old American ethnic slur. So when I use his nickname in a friendly post, it turns the slur implication around into a message of friendship instead of prejudice. That is always my hope, anyway!

While there are many people here that I feel are friends, even though we've never met in person, Wap is actually the only person I have "friended" on the CA Forums. I really like his posts, especially ones that challenge my thoughts. I often send (what I intend to be) funny notes into some forum conversations; I think the forums have room for that.

So I'll end with a note of gratitude to Wap and all Britons, as well as the many other thoughtful members of this forum, and to all the world's people.

Sam

Maneuvering through classical music has been improved - but I'm not sure anyone has come up with a universal tagging system for classical that all of us could agree on.

So true, although I have read good things about MusiCHI Tagger. But it's Windows, and I'm on a MAC.

Good to know:

Roon now has a setting where you can tell it to use your tags, and not the ones from it's database.

The classical tagging has improved. It's not perfect.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)