IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

I tried it with AQ Diamond USB cable and TotalDAC D1 USB cable, and it worked perfect both ways (with TotalDAC filtered cable infront and after the Intona).

Great Elberoth you made my day, the compatibility of the TotalDAC1 was something I was eager to know!!

After a week or more of agony with the one HP-Z800 Workstation to get the Intona/Mutec combo going, gave up. I bet the new ASIO driver conflicted with the RME card, that's why there's the trouble.

Hauled out of the dust, a Sony Vaio Dual Core T-9600(?) Win7 Home Premium laptop, and ran as source. No drama, worked right out of the box, two years laying dormant. Woohoo! I liked what I heard, stayed up a few nights very late listening, well worth it.

The Sony's replacement arrived last week, a Lenovo m93p, tiny thing it really is, a little less than a Mac mini in size, except the power supply is rather half the size...! That machine also accepted the Intona/Mutec combo with any cable I could throw at it, finally settled on Nordost Blue Heaven input and output. Sound is just superb!

Technology doesn't sit still, great minds must think alike and develop ideas at the same time. Mutec have released their USB to 5 way AES3, S/PDIF, AES3id, Optical et al converter, Mutec MC-3 + USB. This device isolates the USB to the other outputs to 2500V. Throw in a super clocking mechanism discussed here at CA of a sister product, and there's one less cable to buy...! USB straight into the Mutec and out with super reclocking, yum. Does this get any better?

Mutec MC-3 + USB.

MC-3_plus_USB_alu_Persp_FB_RGB.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Technology doesn't sit still, great minds must think alike and develop ideas at the same time. Mutec have released their USB to 5 way AES3, S/PDIF, AES3id, Optical et al converter, Mutec MC-3 + USB. This device isolates the USB to the other outputs to 2500V. Throw in a super clocking mechanism discussed here at CA of a sister product, and there's one less cable to buy...! USB straight into the Mutec and out with super reclocking, yum. Does this get any better?

Mutec MC-3 + USB.

The greatest disadvantage of the MUTEC is that all incoming DSD signals are converted to PCM. There is output of PCM signals only.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

This Mutec reclocker is no different to BADA Alpha USB, which also offers galvanic isolation from USB in to SPDIF out (and many other USB/SPDIF converters, that have transformer coupled digital outputs).

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

This Mutec reclocker is no different to BADA Alpha USB, which also offers galvanic isolation from USB in to SPDIF out (and many other USB/SPDIF converters, that have transformer coupled digital outputs).

On the BADA USB, their description of isolation is unprecedented. That doesn't describe a level at all, do you know what it is?

The greatest disadvantage of the MUTEC is that all incoming DSD signals are converted to PCM. There is output of PCM signals only.

Matt

Moot locally, and see your point. If you want to listen to DSD, use a DSD DAC. If it's not critical, HQPlayer does a reasonably great job of DSD to PCM conversions. Just need to find the right filter.

My place, DSFs are burned to DVD and played in SACD player and decoded as DSD stream, works very well. Means having to get up out of the chair to spin a disc, am willing to do some exercise and hunting :)

My place, DSFs are burned to DVD and played in SACD player and decoded as DSD stream, works very well. Means having to get up out of the chair to spin a disc, am willing to do some exercise and hunting :)

Exercise and hunting are great, but you are limited to DSD64 and you asked:"Does this get any better?"

IMHO, the best would be to have a reclocked high quality USB output with DSD256 support in the MUTEC.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I'm not sure if Mutec has galvanic isolation on power AND DATA lane...

It is not specified on webpage and have a doubts...

Due to the nature of Mutec (DSD to PCM) it is difficult ot compare to Intona.

Probably soon we will see galvanic isolator like Intona with external power source, filtering, re-clocking, femto clocks. then we will need to buy another LPSU to make it even better...

Where is the end?

I'm not sure if Mutec has galvanic isolation on power AND DATA lane...

It is not specified on webpage and have a doubts...

Due to the nature of Mutec (DSD to PCM) it is difficult ot compare to Intona.

No need to isolate USB, if isolating the SPDIF outputs is so much easier (by means of $1 digital output transformer).

Mutec has NO usb input and output (like the Intona or Regen). It is just a bit more advanced USB to SPDIF converter.

Adam

On the BADA USB, their description of isolation is unprecedented. That doesn't describe a level at all, do you know what it is?

They have galvanic isolation both on the I2S lines and SPDIF outputs.

Adam

I bought two Intona's on Sunday to try in both of my audio setups. They shipped Monday morning from Germany and arrived today in Salt Lake City at noon on Wednesday (that was fast!).

I just installed the Intona in my desktop system at work, using my .8M Light Harmonic 2G split usb cable to the input of the Intona, and a short 200 mm Curious Cables usb cable from the output of the Intona to my Schiit Bimby. No issues at all!

Hopefully the installation of the other Intona into my home system tonight goes smoothly as well and I will not have "handshake issues" with my Berkeley as some other users are reporting. Fingers crossed....

Blake,

How did your Intona and Berkeley usb work? Thanks.

Blake,

How did your Intona and Berkeley usb work? Thanks.

Unfortunately I am in your same boat. It will not work with my Berkeley. I am going to keep the Intona a bit longer to see if Daniel can sort this out. If not I will return it.

On the other hand, my Intona in my work system works great and I've had no issues with usb cable compatibility (Curious Cable and Light Harmonic 2G split).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Unfortunately I am in your same boat. It will not work with my Berkeley. I am going to keep the Intona a bit longer to see if Daniel can sort this out. If not I will return it.

On the other hand, my Intona in my work system works great and I've had no issues with usb cable compatibility (Curious Cable and Light Harmonic 2G split).

I think it will be worked out with time. Patients will payoff.

I received my industrial version Intona yesterday and tried to install this evening. No matter what configuration (with or with Regen) or combination of USB cables I try, my OS (WS 2012 Essentials R2) tells me that the USB device is not recognized or compatible....

The below worked for me recently, can only offer some help in desperate times.

If the software for your DAC is installed remove it for now.

Disconnect the Intona feed in cable of now but have the device side connected to the DAC.

Use Winzip/RAR something to expand the driver, so you can see the inf, sys, files.

Press WIN+R and run the hardware wizard, HDWWIZ. Add in a new Sound, Video or game controller and Have Disk and point to the location where the inf, sys, files are.

Now at least the drivers will install.

When finished re-connect the Intona.

Like the Intona, all lines are separated from input to output. It is not possible to maintain a level of 2500V with just the power pair isolated.

Correct! The galvanic isolation of the MC-3+USB isolates all power supply and data lines - bidirectionally, unlike most other devices out there BTW. Furthermore, the USB interface has been designed as a dedicated building block with a power supply that’s independent from the main board of the unit, employing its own ultra-low noise audio oscillators that once again are autonomous and isolated from the other processes.

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

No need to isolate USB, if isolating the SPDIF outputs is so much easier (by means of $1 digital output transformer).

Mutec has NO usb input and output (like the Intona or Regen). It is just a bit more advanced USB to SPDIF converter.

I'm sorry Adam, but this is just not quite accurate. First of all, there is absolutely a need to isolate the USB interface to prevent HF interference from the computer affecting the signal processing and causing jitter and noise problems. Also, the MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB is a USB interface, audiophile re-clocker, 10 MHz ready master clock, DDC (digital-to-digital converter), and digital switching matrix. So calling it "just a bit more advanced USB to SPDIF converter" is a bit of an understatement to say the least.

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

I'm sorry Adam, but this is just not quite accurate. First of all, there is absolutely a need to isolate the USB interface to prevent HF interference from the computer affecting the signal processing and causing jitter and noise problems. Also, the MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB is a USB interface, audiophile re-clocker, 10 MHz ready master clock, DDC (digital-to-digital converter), and digital switching matrix. So calling it "just a bit more advanced USB to SPDIF converter" is a bit of an understatement to say the least.

Best regards,

Julian

Hi Julian. Thank you very much for your assistance in the forums regarding Mutec products. I believe it's customary (required? - you'll have to ask Chris, our host) that people with industry affiliations edit their profiles (the line that appears above your photo, which currently says "Newbie" - you'll find this by going to the top right of the page, clicking "Settings," then "Edit Profile" on the left of the Settings page, then "Custom User Title") and/or their signatures (same thing, except on the left of the Settings page click "Edit Signature") to disclose those affiliations.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Julian. Thank you very much for your assistance in the forums regarding Mutec products. I believe it's customary (required? - you'll have to ask Chris, our host) that people with industry affiliations edit their profiles (the line that appears above your photo, which currently says "Newbie" - you'll find this by going to the top right of the page, clicking "Settings," then "Edit Profile" on the left of the Settings page, then "Custom User Title") and/or their signatures (same thing, except on the left of the Settings page click "Edit Signature") to disclose those affiliations.

Hi Jud,

Thanks for pointing this out. I have no interest in trying to hide my affiliation and have (in other posts such as this one) added my MUTEC marketing title. Either way, I was unaware of any requirements in terms of a custom title, but I'll get in touch with Chris in this regard. In the meantime, please note my updated signature! FYI, I'm not a fulltime employee of MUTEC, but work as a marketing consultant for a variety of audio brands. Apart from that, I'm a music lover, passionate music listener, audio engineer and music producer (-> www.juliandavid.org)

Hope this helps settle the irritation.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi Jud,

Thanks for pointing this out. I have no interest in trying to hide my affiliation and have (in other posts such as this one) added my MUTEC marketing title. Either way, I was unaware of any requirements in terms of a custom title, but I'll get in touch with Chris in this regard. In the meantime, please note my updated signature! FYI, I'm not a fulltime employee of MUTEC, but work as a marketing consultant for a variety of audio brands. Apart from that, I'm a music lover, passionate music listener, audio engineer and music producer (-> www.juliandavid.org)

Hope this helps settle the irritation.

Julian

No irritation at all, Julian. On the contrary, you've been uniformly helpful. I simply felt someone would eventually point out this custom/requirement (I'm not sure which), so I may as well do it now.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I also got my Intona today. I put it between my Jcat USB card equipped CAPS v4 server and Lampi Golden Gate DAC - no issues at all.

I tried it with AQ Diamond USB cable and TotalDAC D1 USB cable, and it worked perfect both ways (with TotalDAC filtered cable infront and after the Intona).

Didn't have the time to listen yet.

Thank you for the great news. I have Totaldac, Wireworld and Lampi B7 waiting for my Intona to arrive. Will be here on Monday.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

I received my industrial version Intona yesterday and tried to install this evening. No matter what configuration (with or with Regen) or combination of USB cables I try, my OS (WS 2012 Essentials R2) tells me that the USB device is not recognized or compatible....

I run Win 2012 Standard R2 OS + Audiophile Optimizer software without any problems with the Intona. So the Intona is definately Win 2012 compatible.

Adam

After a week or more of agony with the one HP-Z800 Workstation to get the Intona/Mutec combo going, gave up. I bet the new ASIO driver conflicted with the RME card, that's why there's the trouble.

Hauled out of the dust, a Sony Vaio Dual Core T-9600(?) Win7 Home Premium laptop, and ran as source. No drama, worked right out of the box, two years laying dormant. Woohoo! I liked what I heard, stayed up a few nights very late listening, well worth it.

The Sony's replacement arrived last week, a Lenovo m93p, tiny thing it really is, a little less than a Mac mini in size, except the power supply is rather half the size...! That machine also accepted the Intona/Mutec combo with any cable I could throw at it, finally settled on Nordost Blue Heaven input and output. Sound is just superb!

Mutec MC-3 + USB.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23639[/ATTACH]

I can concur with everything you quote re the Mutec. Everything listed in my signature worked together without a hitch. My Genelec 8351's have never sounded more open & revealing, with a spectacularly dark bass.

Main: 2x2TB Ext HDD/Mac Mini 2.3 GhZ core i5 + Uptone MMK & Teradak LPS/Roon/Ethernet LAN/Uptone Audio EtherRegenr/.5M Supra CAT8/SoTM sMs200-ULTRA NEO + SBooster BOTW P&P Eco MkII/Curious cable .2M/UpTone Audio ISORegen + SBooster Ultra/Curious cable .2M/Mutec MC3+USB/DH Labs Silver sonic D110 AES/Genelec 7370A+ 2 x 85351s running GLM 3.1 with wireless remote.

Office: 4TBHDD/MacBookPro/Audirvana /.25M AQvox USB/UpTone Audio ISORegen with SBooster Ultra/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon USB/Chord Hugo2/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon phono/Rogue Audio Sphinx 2/Anti-cables level 3/Elac Uni_Fi UB5's on Isoacoustics Apertas/Genelec 7050c Sub.