IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

Much appreciated for your opinion!

Is there any sound improvement you could measure in terms as other users of the Regen does? For example, most of them (including me in my setup) agree that the Regen when it does, improves sound staging, hold the bass under control much better, adds a refinement and relaxes the sound overall.

I use my Jitterbug with Dragonfly and yes, it's a bit worthless (refines higher notes while makes the bass a bit wabbly)

It improved on all aspects . Better soundstage , clarity (less grain , this surprised me ) ,bass .

Does the Intona have provision for external power from, for example, an LPSU?

Hi Jud,

I wondered too if it was possible to have the Intona powered with a LPSU and for the moment the only way I can do this while using a "standard" USB cable would be to get something like this:

câble adaptateur usb-b pour alimentation externe jack 5.5/2.1mm

I intend to try this with a LPSU and will tell if it works (or not). It should take about 2 weeks (from experience).

For the moment, I use a standard USB cable (15 inch) that came with the iFi iUSB that I bought some years ago. The musicality I get with the Intona is so that the word that comes to mind is "naturalness". For example, the percussions show no granularity. I could put more adjectives to it, but I prefer to accentuate on the "absence" of signal pollution to summarize what it does.

Regards,

Alain

Hi Jud,

I wondered too if it was possible to have the Intona powered with a LPSU and for the moment the only way I can do this while using a "standard" USB cable would be to get something like this:

câble adaptateur usb-b pour alimentation externe jack 5.5/2.1mm

I intend to try this with a LPSU and will tell if it works (or not). It should take about 2 weeks (from experience).

For the moment, I use a standard USB cable (15 inch) that came with the iFi iUSB that I bought some years ago. The musicality I get with the Intona is so that the word that comes to mind is "naturalness". For example, the percussions show no granularity. I could put more adjectives to it, but I prefer to accentuate on the "absence" of signal pollution to summarize what it does.

Regards,

Or you could send it the signal from an LPSU-powered Regen you might have hanging around. ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

FWIW, after conducting several experiments injecting power into the Intona, I find that it sounds best powered from the audioPCs motherboard. I should mention that my PC is powered by the highest quality linear power supply in the house, a custom built Sigma 11.

I look forward to trying this again when the new Uptone audio galvanically isolated power supply is available.

In the end, a straight four wire USB Supra cable into the Intona with shield intact, followed by a second Supra cable with 5 volts lifted with the Sbooster VBUS eliminator sounds best with the Vega DAC. Any other power combination results in a very noticeable diminishment in deep bass extension. Of course YMMV.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Or you could send it the signal from an LPSU-powered Regen you might have hanging around. ;)

I tried the Regen (powered with a JS-2) between the PC and Intona, but it did not work at all. Maybe it was a matter of sequence (apply power), but I did not investigate further...

Alain

It improved on all aspects . Better soundstage , clarity (less grain , this surprised me ) ,bass .

+1

My current setup is Aries -> Intona -> Yggy. Two short $1 MonoPrice USB cables allowed this setup to function without using a USB hub. Waiting for the delivery of W4S Recovery and will report back if it will improve sound further.

Main system: iMac A+ -> LH Lightspeed USB -> Schiit Yggy DAC -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XP20 Preamp -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XA60.5 Mono Amps -> MIT ACT MA SC -> Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

Second desktop system: iMac A+ / TIDAL -> LH Lightspeed USB -> LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity -> Nordost TYR RCA IC -> Firstwatt J2 -> MIT AVT2 SC -> Omega Super 7 mini

I just received the Intona USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator (industrial version) and wanted to report my experience.

1. Playback Chain:

PC (running Windows Server 2102R2,/Audiophile Optimizer in ultimate core mode with SoTM PCI USB card and JRiver v20; separate internal SSDs for OS and music files; motherboard, SSDs and USB card powered by Uptone Linear power supply)-> USB cable 1 -> Intone USB isolator -> USB cable 2 -> Berkeley Alpha USB converter -> AES digital cable -> Pacific Microsonics DAC -> Absolare Altius Preamp -> Absolare Altius monoblock SET amps -> Magico Q7mkII speakers

2. Currently have four USB cables:

- Lightspeed 1.5m length

- TotalDac 1.5 m length

- Curious 1.0 m length

- Curious 0.3 m length

3. Tried the following USB cable combinations:

a) cable 1: TotalDac; cable 2: Lightspeed

b) cable 1: TotalDac; cable 2: Curious (1m)

c) cable 1: Lightspeed; cable 2: Curious (1m)

d) cable 1: Curious (1m); cable 2: Curious (0.3m)

4. The only USB cable combination that successfully transmitted a signal to the DAC was option (d): cable 1: Curious (1m); cable 2: Curious (0.3m)

5. JRiver reported an error message with the other three options with no signal transmitted to the DAC.

6. My system already had a very high quality digital reproduction, but using the Intona USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator resulted in a significant reduction in the noise floor and a concomitant improvement in the sound quality: improved clarity from top to bottom, resolution, soundstage depth, dynamics, decay, separation of instruments, more full bodied voices, and more accurate timbers; in short, a more realistic and engaging presentation.

Of course YMMV, but for the price it is well worth a try.

Carlos,

Thanks for your valuable impressions. I need to investigate the Intona myself.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I did not see anyone mention the IFI USB 3.0 which is talked about frequently over at Headfi. Anyone considering these products should give that one a look as well.

This thread is about an Intona Isolator, not a IFI USB 3.0 unless you've compared them, please present your findings, keen to read about them.

The original IFI USB is capable about 5% of what the Intona can deliver, even with the purifier FWIW. The low noise wall wart that came with that device is bettered by even a modest linear PSU, mentioned a few times on this site. IFi would need to claw back some credibility IME quite a hike before I would depart with cash their way.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

For intona, is it recommended to be place near the dac or the source for greatest impact?

The type and length of the USB cable can have an influence on the overall operation of the Intona/DAC combo. Technically the output should be short cable to the DAC. The Intona and DAC is treated as one by the computer, rather than individual devices, the cabling forms part of this process.

Members report the best cables are the cheap short ones, with the exotic audiophile types causing problems, but where is the line drawn, is the hard question and very much unknown territory. From my experience, the 0.5m Lindy worked both sides, a 1m Nordost on the input worked, but failed when another 1m Nordost was added on the output of the Intona, can be that fickle. The end result though pays back the effort in spades to persist to get this right.

To his credit, Daniel from Intona is awaiting audiophile cables to reproduce what we report here and observe what goes on in the Intona to report back in due course.

The type and length of the USB cable can have an influence on the overall operation of the Intona/DAC combo. Technically the output should be short cable to the DAC. The Intona and DAC is treated as one by the computer, rather than individual devices, the cabling forms part of this process.

To his credit, Daniel from Intona is awaiting audiophile cables to reproduce what we report here and observe what goes on in the Intona to report back in due course.

Until they (Intona) get this all sorted out or fixed, I'll remain with the Regen. Who knows, by then, someone else may soon come out with another device with better data isolation that works in all applications.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

cmarin

Have you tried a small cable before the intona and the totaldac D1 after it? did it work?

Thanks this would be very important for me.

Hi peabreu,

No I'm sorry I didn't. I'm traveling but will try it when I get back.

Curious why this configuration would be of Interest to you.

Thanks

Carlos,

Thanks for your valuable impressions. I need to investigate the Intona myself.

Hi Adam,

Good to hear from you.

Knowing the level of perfection that you pursue, I would highly recommend that you try the Intona. The impact on my system has been very positive.

Will be curious to hear your impressions.

Best regards,

Hi devs,

Looking forward to hearing how the Intona works on your system. The Curious USB cables/Intona combination has worked well in my system.

Yesterday I received the Intona (industrial version, with the 'not flashing LED' mod). Haven't found the time yet to listen with it but I did test if it works and it did: plug&play, no issue at all! :)

This was using the non-optimized Windows 10 Pro partition on my music server which I use for video playback. A second disk partition contains the W2012+AO etc. OS and software. I know I'll have to switch back to GUI from Core and back again once to allow the system to learn the new location of the Devialet (the Regen is recognized as a USB hub and is now out of the chain) so will do this later when I have more time, followed by some serious listening of course. :)

Just for easy reference, I'll repeat the chain:

Music server with JCAT USB PCIe interface (powered by JCAT battery PSU) -> Curious 0.8m USB cable -> Intona -> Curious 0.2m USB cable (Regen link) -> Devialet 250.

NB. the JCAT battery PSU powers the JCAT USB card which then injects 5V power from this battery into the Intona as well. So it's not powered by the mainboard. I don't currently use the voltage regulator on the JCAT for the 5V.

To be continued for listening impressions.

Hi All

I went to my local Memory Express computer parts store and bought two basic certified USB 2 cables, unfortunately the smallest length was 6 ft. I tried to make my MacBook see my MSB Analogue DAC, just using the Intona connected by two basic BUT certified cables, But no luck.

Daniel from Intona recommended using the unit with the Uptone regen (acting as a hub) stating the Meanwell SMPS plus SBooster (filter add-on) of the Uptone regen as likely less noisey than the MacBook's power supply.

So I tried it, using one of the two basic cables to go between the MacBook and the Intona.

There was a small but noticeable improvement in quality, immediately noticeable after, say, 15 seconds of play on familiar tracks.

I've got a 50 cm Curious cable on order for this purpose, and I'm going to hold off on a detailed comparison until it arrives, but I believe my USB chain is ultimately going to look like.

Macbook -> 50 cm Curious USB -> Intona -> Vbus isolator ->1.0 meter Lightspeed harmonic USB -> Uptone Regen (Meanwell smps+Sbooster smps filter) -> 20 cm Curious USB -> MSB DAC

Regards

Barry

Hi All

My 0.5 meter Curious USB cable arrived yesterday and I've got the USB chain set up as in the quoted message above.

Well, I'm gobsmacking,the Intona improved my MacBook based system by a huge amount. And trust me, it was sounding very nice before.

This is just my very tentative impressions, but what I'm hearing improves nearly all aspects of the sound. The first album played is "Jacintha is her Name" by Jacintha.

Everything has a more vinyl-like Sound, hard to be more specific but I'm loving it.

i can listen to this for hours without missing my turntable.

A more analytical review will follow, when the initial love affair has worn off.

regards

Barry

I received my Intona Industrial 1/5. I have been attempting to use it with a Berkeley Alpha USB. I could not make it happen.

Has anyone used one with the Berkeley successfully?

I switched to an Off-Ramp 5. Wow as others have stated it was a huge improvement. I have spent way more money on usb cables that are collecting dust. It is a must have for my system.

2012 Mini > Curious .08m > Intona > Curious Regen Link > Regen > Curious Regen Link > OffRamp 5 > Empirical Audio BNC > SFD 2 MKIII

I received my Intona Industrial 1/5. I have been attempting to use it with a Berkeley Alpha USB. I could not make it happen.

Has anyone used one with the Berkeley successfully?

I switched to an Off-Ramp 5. Wow as others have stated it was a huge improvement. I have spent way more money on usb cables that are collecting dust. It is a must have for my system.

2012 Mini > Curious .08m > Intona > Curious Regen Link > Regen > Curious Regen Link > OffRamp 5 > Empirical Audio BNC > SFD 2 MKIII

Perhaps try this?

2012 Mini > Curious .08m >Regen >Curious Regen Link >Intona > Curious Regen Link > OffRamp 5 > Empirical Audio BNC > SFD 2 MKIII

What OS are you using?