IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

I am probably completely wrong about the earth drain wire as I was thinking of the principal of power leads were the shield braiding is connected to the power plug side only.

I saw a crazy picture on here somewhere that Japanese audiophiles had wrapped every cable and box with copper on the outside...

I work in Aerospace electronics but I am in manufacturing. A plug wiring is my limit....

Can't wait to break out the Aluminum foil kitchen roll and seal the intona for musical freshness...☺

Not recommended without an electrican but I looked at my main consumer unit last night there were loose wires and earth cable. We have RCD trips so I clean the wires with the power off for my Ring I have my Chain on. Scotch bright the connections a little Caig deoxit. Wow very nice just reseating and a little clean.

An electrician would help for an hours work so you are safe... he may think you are mad.. But I got a kicking when the wife came home and my sparkie friends this morning... I could have died.... The incoming is still live...

I am not dead and it sounds better... but get professional help..

Will post tonight if the foil works

Good luck and thanks again for the Tip

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Wow... can't wait for the outcome.. ^^

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Btw, Intona may benefit from about 20 hours of burn-in. I listened briefly upon installation, was underwhelmed (eg, I thought it made things worse), put the track on repeat play, left it blaring overnight. Quite a difference this morning.

Has anyone else experienced this?

You should connect it an leave it. In the beginning, you will find a little bit improve or worse than before. but just leave it for awhile. After burn in period, unconnect it and connect pc directly to DAC and you will want to connect it back almost immediately.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

it looks like the same PCB with intona on it just a Aluminium extruded shell.

Our tin foil mod isn't so silly as a cheap experiment.. I just wrapped up my intona and the last usb cable leg to my Mytek Brooklyn.. ..

I just asked the angry MOB on SBAF to try the foil as many have the Schitt Yaggy ladder Dac recommended with the intona ...may pick up small changes depending on local RFI EMI.

A bit of fun for a cheap experiment 3 wraps of foil around onto cables ...

The more try we can prove or discount in a more through way...

Our tin foil mod isn't so silly as a cheap experiment.. I just wrapped up my intona and the last usb cable leg to my Mytek Brooklyn.. ..

I just asked the angry MOB on SBAF to try the foil as many have the Schitt Yaggy ladder Dac recommended with the intona ...may pick up small changes depending on local RFI EMI.

A bit of fun for a cheap experiment 3 wraps of foil around onto cables ...

The more try we can prove or discount in a more through way...

Not 3 foils but 10 to 12 foils, bro.

From my pre test, i tested by wrapping it over my mobile phone foil by foil.

Then i called it from another phone, at 3 foils, the phone was still connected.

Until 8 foils, there was no ring tone but kind of missed call. Until 10 foils, the 2 phones completely loss their connection.

The reason that i tested it like that is.. Those frequency is Broadband RF (also wifi) which is determined as RFI/EMI.

If phones loss their connection, RFI can't go through to PCB too.

That's what i thought. ^^

Why not wrap outside of case with foil?

Because it looks ugly, bro. ^^

It looks like i forgot a baked potato or a grilled fish on my DAC, LOL!!

Correct. It is the very same PCB is a different case. Just bought one.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Not 3 foils but 10 to 12 foils, bro.

From my pre test, i tested by wrapping it over my mobile phone foil by foil.

Then i called it from another phone, at 3 foils, the phone was still connected.

Until 8 foils, there was no ring tone but kind of missed call. Until 10 foils, the 2 phones completely loss their connection.

The reason that i tested it like that is.. Those frequency is Broadband RF (also wifi) which is determined as RFI/EMI.

If phones loss their connection, RFI can't go through to PCB too.

That's what i thought. ^^

Three wraps of copper foil will do it. And it'll look snazzy, too.

Three wraps of copper foil will do it. And it'll look snazzy, too.

Then it turn to be a present box instead. *_^ LOL..

Did you hear any improvement?

Could you review it for me a little bit?

Here's what I did. A bit rough. I can pretty it up later. It's 38 ga copper foil. Stops EMI dead.

[ATTACH]28611[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28612[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28613[/ATTACH]

Oh yeah and just for the heck of it, here's the back of my Mac Mini...

[ATTACH]28614[/ATTACH]

Ahhh.. Haaaa... Looks nice!!

Did you hear any difference?

Can't wait for the review!!

Oh! One more question.

Did you ground it? and How to do it?

Or you did it by attach the foil to USB connector?

Fantastic ahaha. .A much neater job than I could do lol.. I was just going to try the inside as I have thin copper tape ,25mm wide.....

Now we can answer the question of any perceived tonal shift good bad or nothing.... And it doesn't cost a fortune to try....[emoji23]

Thanks ..your the star of the day[emoji93]

If I've done it right I'll redo it later, taking measurements first then cutting the copper foil so I can get near corners. This was a quick-and-dirty. But I believe I correct grounded and I've got full coverage.

Incidentally that's the thing that concerned me about copper tape on the inside. You'll need to make sure there isn't an errant ungrounded strip, otherwise it'll turn into a little EMI antenna.

Whether you use foil or tape watch those edges. Razor sharp!

P.S. It's not clear to me that this sort of shielding needs to be grounded. How is the shielding in satellite electronics grounded?

P.P.S. Or perhaps I'm confusing "earth ground" with "chassis ground." Perhaps someone who knows might weigh in...

P.P.P.S. As I think about it, wouldn't it make sense to ground on one end (via USB port) only, else you're defeating the galvanic isolation that is the whole point of this thing. Way out of my depth here.

yer it's the paper cut from hell....

That is one thing I wasn't sure of.. The 2 usb connectors leaving them untouched or touching them with the tape. making a connection between the 2 On the outside shells.... Galvanic isolation is purely on the 5V??? I don't know?

I was originally thinking of a simple shield on a plastic shell....

All fun and makes a change from the norm in audiophile madness..[emoji2]

Ok well whatever it is, I appear to have done it right.

Although I can't A-B Intona with and without shielding I can A-B with and without Intona and it is no contest. I'm inclined to think the shielding is partly responsible because I wasn't terribly blown away by the Intona before. Now I am.

So, yes it appears to make a real difference.

And, most important of all, it's more fun than just buying that JCAT thing.

In the spirit of mad shielding, I also wrapped that A-B USB connector in copper. I don't know if it matters but I am really enjoying the result.

IMG_1471983574.432967.jpg

Thank you for beating me to the punch Hailey.. Like power issues RFI EMI is a local issue for your kit. In most cases unless you can do meets or have a local Brick's and mortar. You have to through big money of people opinions... This is something we have and a silly proposed idea answered on the cheap...

Keep smiling

and let us know any more thoughts

Dave?