IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

Is there an official circulation list for the field programmer? I really need it as mine is one of the early units and I can not get it to work without a REGEN after it. Please PM me if it is possible to borrow it. Or tell us if there is a formal procedure to go though to get on the list.

Thanks!

--Alex C.

Alex--Daniel at Intona has a list, I emailed him a few weeks ago and was placed on it. I recall I was #3, and I'm shipping off to the next person today.

Best,

Randy

Not arguing that point either...especially if one is heavily invested and will lose their shorts in resell, added to the fact all their music is PCM. Again, i am just talking what has better audio quality. I am not saying who will buy in, or which is popular. I am just saying that if someone wants the best possible today, money and bias aside, that properly recorded and played 512K DSD will sound MUCH better than properly recorded and played 192K PCM.

Although i wouldn't believe anyone that said differently, I am curious though, what is the opinion of the major manufacturers of highend dacs that sell both PCM and DSD dacs? Which do they say is better?

DAC manufactures only introduced DSD because there is a market and their goal is to make money. Technically DSD is inferior to PCM. Things get smeared. But it is no wonder it is loved by 'analog people'. In the analog era, smeared playback was the norm. It probably will take one or two generations of audiophiles before this phenomenon cures itself. There are manufactures that don't bow to market forces. Berkeley Audio Design for example.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Only a few well heeled Audiophiles are likely to get rid of a far better than average DAC to buy a new DSD capable DAC in order to get a limited selection of DSD material in genres that may not be of interest to them.

The currently available selection of DSD recordings is somewhat unimportant with the advanced playback software available.You can use HQPlayer to convert PCM to DSD. Plus DSD selections are growing. The current selection of DSD material is an irrelevant issue in regard to DSD vs. PCM.

I have no global preferences of DSD vs PCM, just what seems to sound best, but as I do benefit from the room corrections from Dirac Live, my primary listening mode (currently) is HQPlayer outputting 192 kHz PCM to Dirac Live.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

That is correct about not being able to use SPDIF with DSD, however if they put a fraction of the effort into further developing SPDIF or i2s ,that they have into making USB Audio more viable for Mac Mini users, it could more than likely do just as well, if not better, without additional in line add-ons.

I don't need or want DSD, as I believe that it is no better than well implemented 24/192 with a DAC that has superior output filtering, and it is highly unlikely to remain any more than a niche product with musical content limited to mainly a few genres. I can't see it becoming mainstream without the support of the Majors.

Well, with my enforced retreat from usb - care of going to El Cap on the macmini into Mytek 192 - I revisited both fw (Oyaide) & spdif (curious link-regen-curious link-Cuinas converter). The JK Cuinas usb-spdif sonics were so far ahead of the fw it was ludicrous. Guess the oyaide d+ fw might be ordinary, but ... I'm thinking the spdif input is just superior to the fw. In the past I had thought the cuinas spdif setup was better than the equivalent usb connect into the Mytek usb2 input. It can't do dsd of course.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

BTW, my dropouts seemed to have stopped (reason for the El Cap move). Wait til I check with HQPlayer pcm upsampling ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

6-8 weeks if all goes smoothly. 206 parts--including an FPGA and a microSD card slot--mounted on both sides of a 4-layer board, all in a 4-inch x 4-inch case. No wonder it has taken 7+ months. Hopefully the real fun and conversation can begin soon. Trademark filed; patents may come later! ;)

Thank you Alex.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

All: Without having a chance yet to read this entire thread quite yet...

Would the Intona USB Isolator Industrial be compatible with Mac/curious usb 5v/usb wired 4 sound recovery/curious 200m no 5v/auralic vega processor?

And do we have any success stories with this exact setup?

Thank you.

Would the Intona USB Isolator Industrial be compatible with Mac/curious usb 5v/usb wired 4 sound recovery/curious 200m no 5v/auralic vega processor?

Thank you.

The only commonality is Intona, Curious, RUR, Curious in my chain and is working fine. My dac and source is different from your.

Mirrors my sig, save for the server being Aurender not Mac.

Thank you.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

6-8 weeks if all goes smoothly. 206 parts--including an FPGA and a microSD card slot--mounted on both sides of a 4-layer board, all in a 4-inch x 4-inch case. No wonder it has taken 7+ months. Hopefully the real fun and conversation can begin soon. Trademark filed; patents may come later! ;)

could it be that it's more than a psu ?

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

could it be that it's more than a psu ?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I prefer the Bass-O-matic (of the SNL infamy)

A description from a cipher code that adopted the name. Check YouTube and Wikipedia if not familiar!

The name is explained in this comment from the source code: "BassOmatic gets its name from an old Dan Aykroyd Saturday Night Live skit involving a blender and a whole fish. The BassOmatic algorithm does to data what the original BassOmatic did to the fish."

I wonder what it would do to a bitstream?

I am in agreement with the most positive reports about the effect of Intona.

I've tried adding the Regen before the Intona, and after the Intona--with negative results, kind of like the dulling effects of the Jitterbug, but less so.

Is there any reason to expect that the much touted and delayed Uptone power supply for the Regen will make keeping it worthwhile?

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

first post... :)

I've tried adding the Regen before the Intona, and after the Intona--with negative results, kind of like the dulling effects of the Jitterbug, but less so.

I recently tried removing my Regen and only keeping the Intona, but after a few days I felt everything sounded "dull and boring" compared to what it used to do, I added the Regen again and everything was as it should! I'm using a SOtM mBPS-d2s battery supply to power my Regen though, as someone in this thread suggested batteries might be a good idea with the Intona...

first post... :)

I recently tried removing my Regen and only keeping the Intona, but after a few days I felt everything sounded "dull and boring" compared to what it used to do, I added the Regen again and everything was as it should! I'm using a SOtM mBPS-d2s battery supply to power my Regen though, as someone in this thread suggested batteries might be a good idea with the Intona...

In my system, the Intona and the REGEN complement each other quite nicely, enhancing clarity, timbre, and soundstage.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

I must retract my earlier critique about using the Uptone Regen with the Intona. I said:

"I've tried adding the Regen before the Intona, and after the Intona--with negative results, kind of like the dulling effects of the Jitterbug, but less so."

I wondered why I had such negative results, so I gave it another try on another day. Now my impressions are very like Guido's: "...the Intona and the Regen complement each other quite nicely, enhancing clarity, timbre, and soundstage."

Apologies, Regen, for my smug righteousness.

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera