IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

The product is brand new and they only ever had a trial run of a few in. More are on the way from overseas and will be available in about 3-weeks--after the Chinese New Year holiday is over.

Does it mean you are getting yours now or you will have to wait for a month? Cannot wait to hear your impressions...

That is funny since cooldrives.com is really the same company, run from the same offices. Same for at least a dozen other USB and accessory sites that CoolGear owns. I had a long chat with the owner today. He said they used to operate over 300 e-commerce sites all selling similar stuff.

The product is brand new and they only ever had a trial run of a few in. More are on the way from overseas and will be available in about 3-weeks--after the Chinese New Year holiday is over.

Very strange operation, their website still shows the item as being in stock! Makes me question whether to even deal with them...

A quick update. I've been emailing Daniel at Itona about the unit's lack of compatibility with the Brekeley Alpha. He has two options for those with compatibility issues. One can either return the unit for a firmware update, or for those with basic DIY skills, he is circulating a portable programmer for a potentially faster fix. I'm on the DIY list and will report back once I've upgraded the unit.

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

Has anyone compared the industrial version against the standard version of Intona USB Isolator?

Yes, first I had the standard version and found little improvement from the Intona with the Auralic Vega. Daniel kindly took it back and it was upgraded with the industrial version. Now the improvement with the Vega was very immediate and obvious. Better in everyway.

Then I sold the Vega, and bought a Mytek Brooklyn DAC. With the proprietary USB input on the Brooklyn there was little difference with the Intona, so it was sold.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I bought the stardard version intona and fit it between my HPTC and USB interface. But i found one issue that the "output" of intona cannot be compatible with my Wireworld Platinum Starlight usb cable which means the windows can not recognize my usb interface if I conect Intona to my usb interface with the wireworld platinum usb cable. Same happend to my QED usb cable. If I use the generic usb calbe between Intona and interface, everything is ok. So, in my setup the only way to make intona working is to use generic usb calbe or A/B adaptor after it.

My setup now is like this: HTPC([email protected])>Wireworld Platinum Starlight>Intona usb isolator>usb A/B adaptor>Audio-GD DI-2014>HDMI Cable>Audio-GD Master 7> Audio-GD Master 9> T1

With Intona Isolator, the sound does is improved....It is worthy...

The Intona USB Isolator has earned a lot of recommendations so far.

As my system is more or less dedicated to redbook audio (Audio Note DAC limited to 96/24 and AR-T Legato USB/SPDIF converter limited to 44.1/16 – no plans to change that for the moment as it sounds so beautiful) I ask myself if I could not use one of the much cheaper full-speed USB isolators with the same result? The Legato definitely gets notified by the computer as USB 1.1 device at full-speed. Searching the forum showed some results from 2010 – are there more recent experiences?

Obviously there are a lot of full-speed isolators available. Do you have any suggestion which one to choose in order to get results comparable to Intona USB Isolator as far as redbook playback is concerned?

These were mentioned several times:

http://www.cesys.com/products/usb-isolator/

https://www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/USB-ISO/

The following devices declare to be audiophile and seem take more care about providing clean voltage to the USB device:

http://muc89.com/usb-isolators/isar520.html?___store=muc89_en

http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=124

http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63

Does a clean V+ provided by the isolator matter at all when you have a self powered unit like my Legato behind it? Actually I even tape the V+ legs of my USB cables in order to prevent as much interaction as possible. Or is it still of meaning because of less cross-talk and better general performance within the isolator itself?

Hello

Just seen your question on battery powering the Regen, its certainly worth the effort - the cleaner the power the better the result will be and in my experience so far I've always found a battery superior to linear power supplies. Although it does of course have to be the right battery as the result will always be dependant on the voltage regulation.

The Kingrex UPower battery is ideal for the job, I was using it to power the DAC USB connection with its 5V output but it also has a 7.5V output (needed to power the Regen), the Regen will then power the 5V connection with the DAC if your DAC needs it. You can get it from Item Audio - I think they are the importers

Hope this helps

Hello

Just seen your question on battery powering the Regen, its certainly worth the effort - the cleaner the power the better the result will be and in my experience so far I've always found a battery superior to linear power supplies. Although it does of course have to be the right battery as the result will always be dependant on the voltage regulation.

The Kingrex UPower battery is ideal for the job, I was using it to power the DAC USB connection with its 5V output but it also has a 7.5V output (needed to power the Regen), the Regen will then power the 5V connection with the DAC if your DAC needs it. You can get it from Item Audio - I think they are the importers

Hope this helps

Or you use the JKenny Regen mod and power directly a 3.3V lithium battery to the board and skip the 5V power feed. Works great for DAC's not needing 5V or handshake.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

My Intona's are in transit back to Germany for Industrial upgrades. Listening to the system now, a decent chunk of the sonic magic is gone. Sad......

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12 

Desktop: IsoRegen+LPS1.2 | Denafrips Iris | Denafrips Venus 2/Chord Qutest | Blue Circle Audio SBT preamp|  Eddie Current Zana Deux Super | Hifiman HE-1000SE | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Or you use the JKenny Regen mod and power directly a 3.3V lithium battery to the board and skip the 5V power feed. Works great for DAC's not needing 5V or handshake.

Have you actually done that yourself ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

My Intona's are in transit back to Germany for Industrial upgrades. Listening to the system now, a decent chunk of the sonic magic is gone. Sad......

I didn't know it was possible to upgrade. Hope you'll report if there's really an improvement.

How much do they charge for this ? (I bought the "standard" one, who is already impressive...)

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Any AudioQuest Diamond USB owner using it with the Intona/Regen/W4S RUR?

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

That is funny since cooldrives.com is really the same company, run from the same offices. Same for at least a dozen other USB and accessory sites that CoolGear owns. I had a long chat with the owner today. He said they used to operate over 300 e-commerce sites all selling similar stuff.

Is there any news relating to the CoolGear devise?

Aurender X100L 12T, dac TIDAL PREOS, Cybershaft premium 10.0M,Mutec mc-3+usb,TIDAL PREOS D

TIDAL IMPULSE,TIDAL PIANO CERA (Duelund x-over), Argento FMR, TRON DIGITAL, Stealth USB-T,Argento flow, Argento FMR power cables ,2 Rack of Silence, Torus RM16, Acoustic Treatment,EMO EN-70HD lan isolator, Meicord-Supra(CAT7+) lan cables, IFI ipower for router.

Mine is being delivered on Monday. Ask me again late next week.

It hasn't arrived yet?

Aurender X100L 12T, dac TIDAL PREOS, Cybershaft premium 10.0M,Mutec mc-3+usb,TIDAL PREOS D

TIDAL IMPULSE,TIDAL PIANO CERA (Duelund x-over), Argento FMR, TRON DIGITAL, Stealth USB-T,Argento flow, Argento FMR power cables ,2 Rack of Silence, Torus RM16, Acoustic Treatment,EMO EN-70HD lan isolator, Meicord-Supra(CAT7+) lan cables, IFI ipower for router.

Have you actually done that yourself ?

Yes, works great.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Is there any news relating to the CoolGear devise?

I purchased one and I love it - for my system it provided a lot more depth/improved soundstage overall, and seems to have lower distortion. This is even compared to the Regen.

I wonder if it's a clone of the Intona, but it seems to be a different chip (Silanna CEUSBC2 1511CJ e3) they specify for the Cool Gear isolator.

I purchased one and I love it - for my system it provided a lot more depth/improved soundstage overall, and seems to have lower distortion. This is even compared to the Regen.

I wonder if it's a clone of the Intona, but it seems to be a different chip (Silanna CEUSBC2 1511CJ e3) they specify for the Cool Gear isolator.

Out of curiousity, did you try the Coolgear isolator with a REGEN between the DAC and isolator?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Out of curiousity, did you try the Coolgear isolator with a REGEN between the DAC and isolator?

No, I sold it already. These isolaters are also phy-level receiver/isolator/reclocker/repacketizer whereas from my understanding, the Regen does all of those except isolate. It also causes my DAC to lose the handshake every time my Mac wakes up from standby, which was annoying. The improvements were there with the Regen, but wasn't as dramatic as the isolator for my case. I would describe it as sounding a little more analog. Even if together netted additional improvement, I'd doubt it would be greater than the sum of its parts. I also can't be bothered to daisy chain so many little usb boxes behind my dac, it's atrocious and very space wasting.

Don't write off the USB Isolator until we see how it performs with the new "Mystery" PSU.

Distortion plots posted in another forum have already demonstrated how it's performance further improves with a Linear PSU that almost certainly won't be as good as the new Uptone PSU .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Don't write off the USB Isolator until we see how it performs with the new "Mystery" PSU.

Distortion plots posted in another forum have already demonstrated how it's performance further improves with a Linear PSU that almost certainly won't be as good as the new Uptone PSU .

Not sure if you meant, "Don't write off the Regen"? I still have the USB Isolator but not the Regen. I also had the Regen powered by my LPS at the 5v level, which would deactivate the Regen's own power [delivery] supply.