IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

I just received the Intona USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator (industrial version) and wanted to report my experience.

1. Playback Chain:

PC (running Windows Server 2102R2,/Audiophile Optimizer in ultimate core mode with SoTM PCI USB card and JRiver v20; separate internal SSDs for OS and music files; motherboard, SSDs and USB card powered by Uptone Linear power supply)-> USB cable 1 -> Intone USB isolator -> USB cable 2 -> Berkeley Alpha USB converter -> AES digital cable -> Pacific Microsonics DAC -> Absolare Altius Preamp -> Absolare Altius monoblock SET amps -> Magico Q7mkII speakers

2. Currently have four USB cables:

- Lightspeed 1.5m length

- TotalDac 1.5 m length

- Curious 1.0 m length

- Curious 0.3 m length

3. Tried the following USB cable combinations:

a) cable 1: TotalDac; cable 2: Lightspeed

b) cable 1: TotalDac; cable 2: Curious (1m)

c) cable 1: Lightspeed; cable 2: Curious (1m)

d) cable 1: Curious (1m); cable 2: Curious (0.3m)

4. The only USB cable combination that successfully transmitted a signal to the DAC was option (d): cable 1: Curious (1m); cable 2: Curious (0.3m)

5. JRiver reported an error message with the other three options with no signal transmitted to the DAC.

6. My system already had a very high quality digital reproduction, but using the Intona USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator resulted in a significant reduction in the noise floor and a concomitant improvement in the sound quality: improved clarity from top to bottom, resolution, soundstage depth, dynamics, decay, separation of instruments, more full bodied voices, and more accurate timbers; in short, a more realistic and engaging presentation.

Of course YMMV, but for the price it is well worth a try.

Carlos,

Thanks for your valuable impressions. I need to investigate the Intona myself.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I also got my Intona today. I put it between my Jcat USB card equipped CAPS v4 server and Lampi Golden Gate DAC - no issues at all.

I tried it with AQ Diamond USB cable and TotalDAC D1 USB cable, and it worked perfect both ways (with TotalDAC filtered cable infront and after the Intona).

Didn't have the time to listen yet.

Adam

This Mutec reclocker is no different to BADA Alpha USB, which also offers galvanic isolation from USB in to SPDIF out (and many other USB/SPDIF converters, that have transformer coupled digital outputs).

Adam

I'm not sure if Mutec has galvanic isolation on power AND DATA lane...

It is not specified on webpage and have a doubts...

Due to the nature of Mutec (DSD to PCM) it is difficult ot compare to Intona.

No need to isolate USB, if isolating the SPDIF outputs is so much easier (by means of $1 digital output transformer).

Mutec has NO usb input and output (like the Intona or Regen). It is just a bit more advanced USB to SPDIF converter.

Adam

On the BADA USB, their description of isolation is unprecedented. That doesn't describe a level at all, do you know what it is?

They have galvanic isolation both on the I2S lines and SPDIF outputs.

Adam

I received my industrial version Intona yesterday and tried to install this evening. No matter what configuration (with or with Regen) or combination of USB cables I try, my OS (WS 2012 Essentials R2) tells me that the USB device is not recognized or compatible....

I run Win 2012 Standard R2 OS + Audiophile Optimizer software without any problems with the Intona. So the Intona is definately Win 2012 compatible.

Adam

Just to be clear though, the Intona's sole and very effective (audio-interest) function of galvanic isolation does not duplicate or obviate the REGEN's function of improving USB signal integrity and impedance match (or the REGEN's secondary function of providing very clean VBUS power to DACs that need it).

It is possible. In some cases (DACs that need Vbus power) Regen may actually be mandatory to make them work, due to limited current supply and voltage drop introduced by Intona.

Adam

That is all quite interesting, but it does not explain or justify why the Intona isolator is so sensitive and particular about USB cables.

I too have a drawer full of stock Belkin Gold and other quite standard cables, and for the life of me can not get my Intona unit to work with my XMOS-input DAC without a REGEN betWeen the Intona and the DAC. And even with the REGEN in, if I try to use the Curious cable I can not get the DAC recognized as able to do anything beyond 96KHz (USB 1.1 Full Speed). Rather frustrating.

Maybe your XMOS based DAC needs more power Intona is able to provide ?

Adam

• 4 months later...

Is the status LED on the intona flashing when it happens ? If it is completely off it may mean a USB power management problem (no power on this particular USB port).

Adam

• 2 months later...
it looks like the same PCB with intona on it just a Aluminium extruded shell.

Correct. It is the very same PCB is a different case. Just bought one.

Adam

Anyone know if this is the industrial higher spec Intona inside, or just the standard one?

Industrial.

It is actually easy to tell, as it has orange connectors - like the original Intona Industrial isolator (the standard Intona has black).

Adam

Regen isn't achieving galavanic isolation. Isotona and JCAT (allegedly) are.

In fact, I wonder if the reason for the plastic case is that's how to insure galvanic isolation. Which suggests to me a) that EMI isn't an issue here and b) that JCAT may be snookering people.

But what do I know?

Out of curiosity, I have just hooked up the multimeter, and there is no ground connection between the USB input and output grounds on the Jcat USB Isolator.

I'm not sure the aluminium box does any good (besides cosmetics) but it certainly doesn't short the isolator either.

Adam