IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

Gentlemen, what would you recommend me to upgrade next: 1) to buy SBooster PSU for my existing Regen or 2) Intona? Asking since it's still not that clear for me all the differences between these two devices (Regen vs Intona) in terms of the sound impact. Basically I failed to find any conclusion regarding which one is the best sounding device.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Hi,

Both are different devices, technically :

1. The Regen is not a Galvanic Isolator but re-generates the USB data;

2. The Intona is a Galvanic Isolator and re-generates the USB data.

Ad 2.

This is not stated anywhere but technically will be so.

Technically, in my view, the Intona is the better one, assumed that Galvanic Isolation is required to do the (interfacing) job well.

Audibly everybody's "miles will vary" but when the environmental prerequisites for "a best sound" are met, the Intona implies spades of better sound. At least for my group over at Phasure this is so in 100% of cases, so far (think a few dozen).

As we can see in this (CA) forum, it is no guarantee that the Intona works out. We can also see that for most the Regen works out, while that too doesn't count for everybody (I am an example of that).

I would go for the Intona over the PSU you mention, just because the Intona is a whole different world and which brings a totally different sound. The PSU will (or should) improve the Regen which maybe is a bit odd. Notice that the Intona is powered by USB itself.

Regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter, Just ordered Intona and will come up here with my observations when have a chance to inject it to my stereo. Menwhile, could you please be more specific when stating "...which brings a totally different sound"? Comparing with Regen? How it differs?

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Much appreciated for your opinion!

Is there any sound improvement you could measure in terms as other users of the Regen does? For example, most of them (including me in my setup) agree that the Regen when it does, improves sound staging, hold the bass under control much better, adds a refinement and relaxes the sound overall.

I use my Jitterbug with Dragonfly and yes, it's a bit worthless (refines higher notes while makes the bass a bit wabbly)

• 2 weeks later...

God I feel like I'm getting tired of all of these. Too many little black boxes.