IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

Just received my standard Intona USB Isolator today. Unfortunately it didn't work with my Aries. couldn't establish a stable connection. I think i will have to sell it. If anyone wants to take it off my hand, please PM me.

Main system: iMac A+ -> LH Lightspeed USB -> Schiit Yggy DAC -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XP20 Preamp -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XA60.5 Mono Amps -> MIT ACT MA SC -> Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

Second desktop system: iMac A+ / TIDAL -> LH Lightspeed USB -> LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity -> Nordost TYR RCA IC -> Firstwatt J2 -> MIT AVT2 SC -> Omega Super 7 mini

Finally got Intona to work after inserting Schiit Wyrd between the DAC and the Isolator. I also had to replace the USB cable between the Wyrd and Isolator. Now i am wondering if doing this would defeat the purpose of the Isolator.

btw, this setup worked for both my iMac and Aries. I guess the main issue is probably caused by Isolator dropping current from 500ma to 300ma and many DACs don't like that.

Main system: iMac A+ -> LH Lightspeed USB -> Schiit Yggy DAC -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XP20 Preamp -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XA60.5 Mono Amps -> MIT ACT MA SC -> Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

Second desktop system: iMac A+ / TIDAL -> LH Lightspeed USB -> LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity -> Nordost TYR RCA IC -> Firstwatt J2 -> MIT AVT2 SC -> Omega Super 7 mini

OK, thanks for your response.

But my question is: is the Intona useful when used with a dac or converter that don't need the 5v?

PS: excuse my english, I am franchement.

i think YES since Intona does something no one in the world is able to archive at this moment which is USB 2.0 full speed galvanic isolation.

btw, my Intona is no longer for sale. :-) It is a keeper and it does work with my Aries.

Just bought two short USB cables from MonoPrice. only $1 each. Now i am able to run Intona without a hub. so basically my setup right now is Aries -> MonoPrice USB cable -> Intona -> MonoPrice USB -> Schiit Yggy DAC.

Tried to replace either MonoPrice with my 0.8 meter LightSpeed USB and it wouldn't work.

So for people who is having trouble to get Intona to work first try some generic USB cables. The cheap the better. :-)

btw, also tried a USB A-B adapter and it didn't work.

Forgot to the mention that if I had to use the Lightspeed USB cable, then the only way it would work is to use a USB hub right between the DAC and the Isolator.

In terms of sound quality after some AB listening I am happy to report that the sound with Isolator in place with cheap USB cables is audibly better than going straight with LightSpeed USB.

I also noticed that the sequence of connecting input/output cables also matters. Try to connect the input side first. wait a few seconds and then plug in the output side.

This sounds weird to me. If a short USB cable worked for you, the adapter should work too unless this adapter is faulty.

i know. maybe i didn't connect them in the right sequence. didn't really test too much with the adapter since i no longer need a USB hub. I don't like the idea of using the adapter on the DAC or the source as there is a big risk to damage the connectors.

It improved on all aspects . Better soundstage , clarity (less grain , this surprised me ) ,bass .

+1

My current setup is Aries -> Intona -> Yggy. Two short $1 MonoPrice USB cables allowed this setup to function without using a USB hub. Waiting for the delivery of W4S Recovery and will report back if it will improve sound further.

Wonder what the small connector is for on the input side.

most likely for firmware update.

Have been running Intona for a few weeks now. still amazed by the improvement it brought. sometimes we audiophiles spend a fortunate on a cable or footers and still have to convince ourselves whether it did anything. Intona has no problem. it is really the most effective audio accessory i have bought outside of major system components.

I can also confirm that getting it to work is a tricky business. Sometimes the exact same setup would fail repeatedly and suddenly start to work. But once the connection is established, it is stable and will stay on...until one of the components on either end is turned off.