IGNORED

My top 5 vocal jazz albums of 2015

Thanks for the reviews. I have to admit, of these I only have the Cecile McLorin Salvant album, and I am a little disappointed (but not overly so). I don't think she quite lives up to the hype, but that might only be because of the level of the hype is rather large. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album and she is good and perhaps it simply comes down to a matter of taste but I am not quite seeing her as 5 starts for me.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Thanks for the reviews. I have to admit, of these I only have the Cecile McLorin Salvant album, and I am a little disappointed (but not overly so). I don't think she quite lives up to the hype, but that might only be because of the level of the hype is rather large. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album and she is good and perhaps it simply comes down to a matter of taste but I am not quite seeing her as 5 starts for me.

Thanks for sharing. I agree, there is a lot of hype around her. That said, I saw her live and it was an impressive experience.

What other artist would you have listed in 2015?

The Karrin Allyson Rogers & Hammerstein collection. Although I will admit that I'd like to have an alternate copy with the vocals removed, just so I can focus on the masterful work by Kenny Barron and John Pattitucci.

Jose James' Billie Holiday tribute.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

The Karrin Allyson Rogers & Hammerstein collection. Although I will admit that I'd like to have an alternate copy with the vocals removed, just so I can focus on the masterful work by Kenny Barron and John Pattitucci.

Jose James' Billie Holiday tribute.

I agree, the José James is really quite nice. I still had the plan of writing about it. Don't know Karrin, will check it out.

Thanks for sharing. I agree, there is a lot of hype around her. That said, I saw her live and it was an impressive experience.

What other artist would you have listed in 2015?

Oh gosh I don't know. I have Eliane Elias new album "Made in Brazil", and I see it was nominated for a Grammy but again while I like the album it is not a 5 star for me.

I have been enjoying Elif Caglar's "Misfit" lately. I also have been enjoying Charnee Wade's "Offering".

I really like Silje Nergaard's "Chain of Days", not the most traditional (has some more pop oriented tracks) but the track "The Dance Floor" is a duet with Kurt Elling and is very good IMO...

I have to agree with you on the Melody Gardot. Amazing, it's clearly now a very matured performer. It's dark at times, dauting, lyrical and draws me completely in.

On Cassandra's there is something on the sound that it's not quite right and not on par with other albuns...that detracts a little bit from the fine performance of that Lady. Would not make my top 5.

Concerning vocal jazz, and looking for a male voice, the beautiful album from Kurt Elling, Passion World, would fit perfecty on a top 5.

I was amazed by Cecil's first, and look forward to discover the 2015 album...

Thanks for sharing musicophile, you continue to deliver excelent community service!

I have to agree with you on the Melody Gardot. Amazing, it's clearly now a very matured performer. It's dark at times, dauting, lyrical and draws me completely in.

On Cassandra's there is something on the sound that it's not quite right and not on par with other albuns...that detracts a little bit from the fine performance of that Lady. Would not make my top 5.

Concerning vocal jazz, and looking for a male voice, the beautiful album from Kurt Elling, Passion World, would fit perfecty on a top 5.

I was amazed by Cecil's first, and look forward to discover the 2015 album...

Thanks for sharing musicophile, you continue to deliver excelent community service!

Agree on Cassandra, the SQ is not on par with past albums. I still like it quite a lot.

I need to check out Kurt Elling.

I am a long time jazz fan but just can't get into Salvant. Eliane Elias Made in Brazil is a nice album, listening to it now. 4 stars not 5 although she is fantastic live. I second the Karrin Allyson recording which I featured on my Lovely Recordings installment. Best I have heard from her. The accompaniment is sublime. Listening to the McKenzie album tonight. She recently performed at a private invite only event in Philly. I did not get an invite though. Speaking of Philly, love Melody Gardot although her recent concert here was a bit too much on the weird factor. Love the live EP available on Qobuz. Kurt Ellington is very good.

I am a long time jazz fan but just can't get into Salvant. Eliane Elias Made in Brazil is a nice album, listening to it now. 4 stars not 5 although she is fantastic live. I second the Karrin Allyson recording which I featured on my Lovely Recordings installment. Best I have heard from her. The accompaniment is sublime. Listening to the McKenzie album tonight. She recently performed at a private invite only event in Philly. I did not get an invite though. Speaking of Philly, love Melody Gardot although her recent concert here was a bit too much on the weird factor. Love the live EP available on Qobuz. Kurt Ellington is very good.

Joe, I take it you live in Philly? I am going to be in Philly this Saturday and thinking about checking out Joe Snidero at "Chris' Jazz Cafe". Anyplace else I should consider?

Joe, I take it you live in Philly? I am going to be in Philly this Saturday and thinking about checking out Joe Snidero at "Chris' Jazz Cafe". Anyplace else I should consider?

Pardon the OT: You now live in the SW (what state?). Did you at one time live in the Philly area?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Pardon the OT: You now live in the SW (what state?). Did you at one time live in the Philly area?

No, never lived that far North East, but I will be flying in to Philly this Saturday for business. I live in New Mexico now.

I found Chris' Jazz Cafe online but I was just wondering if there is another place I should consider (one maybe that does not have a Web presence)...

No, never lived that far North East, but I will be flying in to Philly this Saturday for business. I live in New Mexico now.

I found Chris' Jazz Cafe online but I was just wondering if there is another place I should consider (one maybe that does not have a Web presence)...

Top Places to Listen to Live Jazz in Philadelphia — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

Top Jazz Spots In Philadelphia « CBS Philly

Best Jazz bar in Philadelphia

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I live in the Philly burbs. Jud has hit the nail on the head as far as jazz places go. Chris' is the best even though I don't like the way the club is set up as far as the orientation of the stage is vis a vis the tables. Very good food though!

One more to throw out there for consideration (slipped my mind the other day): Luciana Souza, "Speaking in Tongues."

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

1 Keith Jarrett, Creation, ECM

2 Jakob Bro, Gefion, ECM

3 Giovanni Guidi trio, This is the Day, ECM

4 The Bad Plus Joshua Redman, The Bad Plus Joshua Redman, Nonesuch

5 Anouar Braham, Souvenance, ECM

6 Partikel, String Theory, Whirlwind

You know it's interesting, since ECM is not participating in internet streaming I have not purchased a thing from them (as I like to hear something first). I wonder if this is intentional on their part...

You know it's interesting, since ECM is not participating in internet streaming I have not purchased a thing from them (as I like to hear something first). I wonder if this is intentional on their part...

It is clearly a conscious decision from ECM. Whether it is the right one is a different question.

1 Keith Jarrett, Creation, ECM

2 Jakob Bro, Gefion, ECM

3 Giovanni Guidi trio, This is the Day, ECM

4 The Bad Plus Joshua Redman, The Bad Plus Joshua Redman, Nonesuch

5 Anouar Braham, Souvenance, ECM

6 Partikel, String Theory, Whirlwind

I guess we could call Keith Jarrett a vocalist. :) None of the others, though.

Musicophile, great list. Cassandra is an all-time fave, and I am finally geting into the "Nick Cave" mix of the new album. Jazz standards by non-jazz musicians.