IGNORED

Oppo BDP-10[3/5](d) and multichannel DSD playback

I know this has been covered in a lot of threads over the last 2 years, but a lot of the information is stale, out of date, or just plain wrong due to changes in firmware over time. Can anyone answer the following for the BDP-10[3/5](d), and if there are differences between the models, state so.

1) I want to play multi-channel DSD64 (DSF file), streamed either via SMB or DLNA on my NAS, over HDMI to my Marantz 8801. Can this be done?

2) I want to play multi-channel DSD64 from my computer (Audirvana) over USB to the Oppo, then over HDMI to my Marantz. Can this be done?

I read that the analog outputs are needed to play multi-channel in some circumstances, but getting a clear answer has eluded me. Thanks in advance!

-mike

As no one has answered I will give you the information that I believe is current but if I am wrong then my apologies so don't take this as 100% gospel...

1) I want to play multi-channel DSD64 (DSF file), streamed either via SMB or DLNA on my NAS, over HDMI to my Marantz 8801. Can this be done?

2) I want to play multi-channel DSD64 from my computer (Audirvana) over USB to the Oppo, then over HDMI to my Marantz. Can this be done?

1a) you can play multi-channel DSD64 / DSF files either via SMB or using a HDD or memory stick connected to the Oppo - this can then either be output via analogue or via HDMI to your Marantz (assuming the Marantz accepts DSD over HDMI otherwise the Oppo will have to convert to PCM first).

1b) Via DLNA only 2 channel is supported.

2) the USB (type B) input only supports 2 channel from a computer. The 105D version supports DSD which the original 105 didn't (iirc).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Since you've a Marantz AV8801' date=' have you researched into their UD7007 ?

Would be perfect for the OP except for the fact that DSD is all converted to PCM and it doesn't (afaik) support DSD in any file format let alone multi-channel.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

As no one has answered I will give you the information that I believe is current but if I am wrong then my apologies so don't take this as 100% gospel...

1a) you can play multi-channel DSD64 / DSF files either via SMB or using a HDD or memory stick connected to the Oppo - this can then either be output via analogue or via HDMI to your Marantz (assuming the Marantz accepts DSD over HDMI otherwise the Oppo will have to convert to PCM first).

1b) Via DLNA only 2 channel is supported.

2) the USB (type B) input only supports 2 channel from a computer. The 105D version supports DSD which the original 105 didn't (iirc).

I don't think 1b) is correct. I stream multi-channel DSD files from my NAS to my OPPO 105 as a DLNA renderer with JRiver.

I don't think 1b) is correct. I stream multi-channel DSD files from my NAS to my OPPO 105 as a DLNA renderer with JRiver.

Can you explain more about that? When I use the Oppo app for my Oppo 105D to play DSD files I have on my NAS, it won't play them back, but will play 24/192 PCM content from the NAS. That could be because my Bryston SP3 pre/pro won't accept DSD files over HDMI, but it should accept analog 7.1 output using the Oppo's DAC if it can process DSD from the NAS input.

Or is JRiver acting as a front end to allow the Oppo to process files it otherwise couldn't? (Maybe by converting them to PCM first?)

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Would be perfect for the OP except for the fact that DSD is all converted to PCM and it doesn't (afaik) support DSD in any file format let alone multi-channel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22725[/ATTACH]

Am glad Eloise how you've stated elsewhere that you don't mind being proven wrong. Here's link to UD7007 Owner's Manual pdf

What you referred to might be because you were looking at the « Analog Audio Output Terminal : 2ch AUDIO OUT » column ?

And as to they designing this AV model to maximise PCM processing for 2ch Analog output, it's ultimately our own choice if that's what's best for our personal needs ?

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Am glad Eloise how you've stated elsewhere that you don't mind being proven wrong. Here's link to UD7007 Owner's Manual pdf

What you referred to might be because you were looking at the « Analog Audio Output Terminal : 2ch AUDIO OUT » column ?

You're right, I misread the chart.

Eloise

---

Can you explain more about that? When I use the Oppo app for my Oppo 105D to play DSD files I have on my NAS, it won't play them back, but will play 24/192 PCM content from the NAS. That could be because my Bryston SP3 pre/pro won't accept DSD files over HDMI, but it should accept analog 7.1 output using the Oppo's DAC if it can process DSD from the NAS input.

Or is JRiver acting as a front end to allow the Oppo to process files it otherwise couldn't? (Maybe by converting them to PCM first?)

I haven't used the OPPO app in quite a while. I will check tonight. Is your OPPO on the newest firmware?

I haven't used the OPPO app in quite a while. I will check tonight. Is your OPPO on the newest firmware?

Thanks for checking. Yes, I have updated the firmware to the latest version.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Eloise isn't wrong at all, as the TS would like to play files, not discs ;-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I just checked. My 105 plays MCh dsf files just fine via the OPPO app.

But (still) not gapless? Or do they?

If the Oppo 105D would play files via USB-drive (Harddisc) or LAN gapless, it would be my "all-in-one" dream-machine.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Thanks for your fast reply!

It seems that I simply should get one ... ;-)

Eloise isn't wrong at all, as the TS would like to play files, not discs ;-)
You're right, I misread the chart.

And as to they designing this AV model to maximise PCM processing for 2ch Analog output' date=' it's ultimately our own choice if that's what's best for our personal needs ?[/font']

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22725[/ATTACH]

Since you're playful, for you :

Wie eigensinnig der Bursch ist! Wir müssen nach der Schnur sprechen, oder er sticht uns mit Silben zu Tode.

Have you studied the original ? I'd like to make time again to :)

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Show me the part which I am obviously missing.

Under "Playable files", manual page 54:

54.jpg

Show me the part which I am obviously missing.

Under "Playable files", manual page 54:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22766[/ATTACH]

How about this, directly from the Oppo website:

Configure Your OPPO Player for DSF Playback and DSD Output

Native DSD files in DSF and DFF formats are supported by the BDP-10x series players (BDP-103, BDP-103D and BDP-105) with firmware version BDP10X-50-0422. Customers who purchased the players prior to the summer of 2013 may need to perform a free firmware update before the player can recognize DSF and DFF music files. For the latest firmware available, please visit the BDP-103 Support page.

DSD is not yet universally supported by all audio devices. Native DSD output can be obtained in two ways:

DSD Output via HDMI:

If your A/V receiver or audio processor supports native DSD, your OPPO player can send DSD signal over HDMI to the A/V receiver or audio processor. You should connect the HDMI 2 port of the BDP-103/105 player to your A/V receiver or audio processor since the HDMI 1 port does not transmit DSD signal. The following settings in the player's setup menu should be used:

Playback Setup - SACD Priority: set to Multi-Channel or Stereo based on your preference

Audio Format Setup - SACD Output: set to DSD or Auto (Auto is available for firmware version BDP10X-67-1120 or above)

The OPPO player will automatically convert DSD into PCM if it determines that a connected device does not support DSD. Usually your A/V receiver or audio processor will have an indication on its front panel showing whether the device is getting DSD signal.

DSD to Analog Output:

The internal DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) inside the OPPO player supports native DSD. You can connect the analog audio output of the OPPO player to your A/V receiver, audio processor or amplifer to get native DSD audio.

Please note that in DSD mode, the BDP-103 and BDP-103D do not offer volume control or variable output level. In this case you must provide a preamp/processor or A/V receiver to control volume before sending the signal to an amplifier. Only the BDP-105 can adjust the volume of native DSD signal. The following settings in the player's setup menu should be used:

Playback Setup - SACD Priority: set to Multi-Channel or Stereo based on your preference

Audio Format Setup - HDMI Audio: set to Off (This ensures that any connected HDMI device will not cause the player to convert DSD to PCM.)

Audio Format Setup - SACD Output: set to DSD

Sorry for the confusion, but we were talking about the the Marantz UD7007 (see post number 3)

Native DSD files in DSF and DFF formats are supported by the BDP-10x series players (BDP-103, BDP-103D and BDP-105) with firmware version BDP10X-50-0422. Customers who purchased the players prior to the summer of 2013 may need to perform a free firmware update before the player can recognize DSF and DFF music files. For the latest firmware available, please visit the BDP-103 Support page.

This unfortunately doesn't answer the question about support over DLNA/SMB/USB from computer (not attached hard drive).