IGNORED

Need help finding a solution for my husbands DVD collection

Hi all,

I realize that this is not in relation to CD's or strictly audio but I think this may be the best place to find help. My husband owns 800 DVDs. For a long time he's wanted to find a way to rip them into some sort of hard drive to have easy accessibility to it from his devices. I am sure this question must have been posted previously in regards to DVDs. What I am looking for is the following:

- Fastest external hardware to rip DVDs and Blu Ray. If it can handle multiple disks, even better.

- Fastest way to convert these files to playback for media manager.

- Recommended media manager (external hard drive + system) We currently have an iTV, would we be able to use that connected to a hard drive?

Total novice and I would love to figure this out for my husband so I can give it to him as a Christmas gift. Thank you in advance.

This might not be the best site to find this advice. You might want to try (for example) avsforums.

My own very limited experience was ripping some DVDs for kids, who seem to like to watch movies over and over again, when they are young. I came to the conclusion that most other movies weren't worth the trouble, because I might watch them at most one more time before I die. We decided it would be more cost-effective to rent or purchase movies via Apple and stream them.

I ripped the DVDs manually, one at a time, using a Mac, and Mac DVDRipper Pro: Rip DVDs on your Mac - Free Trial! It lets you do five for free. Ripping blu rays is substantially harder; I have never tried. If you rip a lot of movies, especially blu ray movies, you are going to need a large-scale storage device, like a NAS.

For the price of all that, it might be much easier and less expensive just to rent and stream movies from iTunes or some other provider.

Its not something which is simple to achieve.

My own solution is to use a Forums - VortexBox user forum which includes DVD ripping (should also rip BluRays but I don't have a BluRay drive in the machine). I then use https://plex.tv to actually play back the rips on the TV or other device. These are more custom built solutions.

If you want something similar "off the shelf" then something like Innuos - Movie and Music Servers would be a possibility to look at - but even with these there is likely tweaking that needs doing.

Unlike music storing there are no easy option. As Bill (wgscott) says above ... avsforums.com or if you are in UK avforums.com would likely be better place to ask the question.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

sorry double post

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Vortexbox software is free and works well but ripping DVDs is slow. At around 20 minutes per dvd.

Do you find DVD ripping is quicker on Windows or other systems? I think that 20 minutes is about the "normal" speed for any system.

Given (for example) an 8x DVD reader; a dual layer DVD is 9GB (approximately) and at 1x reading speed will take around 120 minutes to rip. Therefore at 8x that 120 minutes becomes 15 minutes.

Eloise

---

Please google for handbrake software for rip and raspberry pi2 with Kodi combination.

Maybe a osmc solution will be the best way to go

please dont recommend a pi2 for a novice!!

i agree with the rest though - kodi is an excellent media server.

you can use a standard computer with a couple big hard drives in it and the handbrake software for cd ripping

please dont recommend a pi2 for a novice!!

Agree

i agree with the rest though - kodi is an excellent media server.

Kodi is a media player and media organising software. It's is not a media server which would imply a piece of software which supplies media to a separate player (in the manner of Plex or EMBY, etc).

you can use a standard computer with a couple big hard drives in it and the handbrake software for cd ripping

I assume you mean Handbrake for DVD ripping. Even if that is what you mean the. Handbrake wont rip a DVD by itself as it doesn't decode Commerical DVDs. Usually you would rip with other software, then use Handbrake to convert to MP4 format.

Eloise

---

Hi all,

I realize that this is not in relation to CD's or strictly audio but I think this may be the best place to find help. My husband owns 800 DVDs. For a long time he's wanted to find a way to rip them into some sort of hard drive to have easy accessibility to it from his devices. I am sure this question must have been posted previously in regards to DVDs. What I am looking for is the following:

- Fastest external hardware to rip DVDs and Blu Ray. If it can handle multiple disks, even better.

- Fastest way to convert these files to playback for media manager.

- Recommended media manager (external hard drive + system) We currently have an iTV, would we be able to use that connected to a hard drive?

Total novice and I would love to figure this out for my husband so I can give it to him as a Christmas gift. Thank you in advance.

I've ripped many DVD's and BR's over the years, stored on internal hard drives, buy enclosure separately or place into home PC via Sata. I use DVDFab, do a search online, it can rip DVD or BR as is or converted to another format, don't know about multiple rips at the same time, never tried, but I'm sure if you have more than one BR ROM player in your PC you can rip them at the same time.

I use JRiver for media player. You can use the TV as the monitor and play via wireless mouse control.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Hi all,

I would think the Nimbie would be a great solution for fast ripping. You can ripp 100 DVDs each time.

Nimbie USB Plus - Product Review

Tommy

• 2 weeks later...
Do you find DVD ripping is quicker on Windows or other systems? I think that 20 minutes is about the "normal" speed for any system.

Given (for example) an 8x DVD reader; a dual layer DVD is 9GB (approximately) and at 1x reading speed will take around 120 minutes to rip. Therefore at 8x that 120 minutes becomes 15 minutes.

No I would say that is the normal time, I was just trying to let the OP know this is quite a time consuming process. The Vortexbox software makes it painless as it opens the drawer when done so you can drop a disc in and walk away then swap when it comes out.