IGNORED

Slimming down Windows 10 installation experiment

Windows X

Hi there. I'm doing research about slimming down Windows 10 installation. First, let's see how normal installation looks like. I usually reboot and wait for 3 minutes but default installation has extensive search indexing so I'll take a shot after it cools down for a while.

win10_slim_0.jpg

46 Processes, 680 Threads, about 20851 handles with 700MB Memory occupied. That's what we all get after installing Windows 10 Pro. Now I'll try slimming down OS removing most non-audio stuff while retaining all multimedia features, Windows Update, .NET Framework, and other core services.

win10_slim_1.jpg

Processes and handles are reduced significantly by 30% and about half of handles and memory consumption gone, Wow. This is pretty amazing. Let's see how much I can further reduce it if I remove Windows Update, .NET Framework, most non-critical multimedia services, and other things I can think of right now without breaking the installation.

win10_slim_2.jpg

Threads and Handles went down a little but others look the same to me. I checked partition size and it saved up 400MB more than previous slimming down. I wonder if slimming down further will be worth for sacrificing features and effort to make it smaller. It's not like I can fit Windows 10 installation in 2GB partition like I did with Windows 7/8 before.

What do you guys think? Should I try slimming down Windows 10 more? Do you guys use .NET Framework, Miracast, built-in multimedia services and stuff?

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com