IGNORED

Help on Computer Speakers...

^I've never heard the Z600 speakers but my two pairs of Logitech's have been almost universally praised, in fact my Z-2300's were for many years, the paradigm of 2.1 speakers.

Ajax, I read some of the well tempered computer's section "to stream or not to stream" but in spite of the name, it doesn't go into the benefits of drawbacks of streaming audio because all I do is play youtube videos.

The problem I have with the "everything matters" approach is, I don't believe for a second that human hearing is acute enough to be able to hear a difference between different amplifiers let alone different cables and interconnects which is of course flies in the face of what audiophiles have been saying for decades but who's been convincing them of this? Makers of very expensive amplifiers, cables and interconnects in an attempt to justify their sometimes exorbitant prices. In my experience the two things that shape the sound are the beginning and the end of the audio signal, ie; the source and the speakers because there's no question there's a difference between cassette tape, LP and MP3 just as there's a difference in sound between speaker systems. For example, all i've ever owned are mainstream amplifiers by companies like Pioneer, Sherwood and Yamaha but I used to have a friend that had some high end equipment by Macintosh so I listened to them all night once with him and you know what I heard? The snap, crackle and pop of the LP's he played all night since most of us had moved on to CD's by then. I didn't hear any of the supposed "warmth" offered by his tube amp and we had to wait a while just to use it. Who wants to wait around just to listen to music? Add that to the fact all I listen to is rock music which itself is often distorted to start with, and you might better understand where i'm coming from. I've always been a basshead too so I don't care how great a pair of JBL's or Genelec's can pick up the sound of some guy's fingers plucking the double bass on a Diana Krall song because I never listen to Diana Krall.

What I want more than anything is deep, accurate bass, it's all i've ever wanted.

Hi Carewser,

I could argue that you are not going to get "... deep, accurate base .." from your current set up but there would be no point as you are obviously set in your ways. As they say "you can lead a horse to water ..."

More important than anything, however, is that you know what you want and you are enjoying your music. That's the bottom line so I'll leave you in peace to enjoy your tunes.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

"Ian Paisley, who eventually becomes the vice president of engineering for Mirage, designs a speaker that measures 30Hz to 20kHz +/- ¼ db on axis, possibly the world's flattest frequency response ever. Listening tests, however, reveal that the speaker's performance was perceived as disappointing. Thus, more time was needed researching how people listen and interpret sound waves from a speaker."

This perfectly illustrates how subjective sound is, i'm sure some people would cringe listening to my system while others, like myself, really like it.

"Ian Paisley, who eventually becomes the vice president of engineering for Mirage, designs a speaker that measures 30Hz to 20kHz +/- ¼ db on axis, possibly the world's flattest frequency response ever. Listening tests, however, reveal that the speaker's performance was perceived as disappointing. Thus, more time was needed researching how people listen and interpret sound waves from a speaker."

This perfectly illustrates how subjective sound is, i'm sure some people would cringe listening to my system while others, like myself, really like it.

Read up on research by Harman about the preferred frequency response. Everyone knows actual flat response is not preferred by listeners.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am running an older iMAC but I may upgradge it within the next two years. I currently play audio through Audioengine A5 speakers (not the A5+) and an Audioengine W1 wireless DAC. I am thinking of upgrading to the Audioengine HD6 and a Schiit Bifrost also. I have a small office in a roughly 10 x 10 (slightly less) room, where the speakers are positioned opposite to and behind my work desk and iMac. I enjoy the A5s, but I think this system can benefit from greater clarity and a bit more 'punch' sometimes.

My question is this: What is the advantage of the Multibit version of the Bifrost?

Would I really be just as well to get the Bifrost Uber?

I am still somewhat of a 'newbie' to sourcing my music from a computer system so I appreciate the input and thoughts of others.

I did not like the audioengine a2 I had. The way they boost the upper bass around 100hz to give the impression of a lot of bass from a small speaker muddies the midrange a lot. Listen to the same music on a larger pair of speakers or headphones and you should notice a huge difference. You can get small speakers that are more accurate if you want but you can't defy physics regarding the bass they produce. I have a pair of Jordan eikona bookshelf speakers on my desk and avi adm 9.1 and sub in the living room

DACs make the largest difference in sound quality (after speakers), in my opinion.... though they cannot make an inadequate speaker terrific.

The good thing for the budget conscious is that they follow the law of diminishing returns, so for a fixed budget allocating a portion (say, 20% of the cost if speakers an entry-level) to a DAC provides a lot of enjoyment by delivering more of what you here; background instruments, timbre in acoustical instruments, for example.

In my experience, I hear more differences among DACs than amplifiers YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going for something small but gives a good sound stage the Dynamic Technology Inclines are pretty good. They don't carry the same amount of detail as some of my headphone setup but that's not really a fair comparison. They have a good soundstage and its got a warm bass, and well defined highs and doesn't really break the bank.

I agree with Angular Mo that your DAC is what will make the biggest different. Make sure you research that well because I bought a Fiio and it's got noise that drives me insane. But I have my own self to blame as I literally when for the cheapest I could find, which was my first mistake. With a great amp you can make adequate speakers behave the way you want.

If you are interested in reading a little more detail I've made an article on different speakers from different pay grades.

Found the best audio The Best Computer Speakers - HelpfulDesk.Org

I'm pretty sure you mean't Definitive Technology speakers, not "Dynamic" Technology. I liked your speaker reviews although mentioning prices would have helped.

Oops You are right. Dunno where Dynamic came from. Can't seem to edit my previous post. Thanks for catching that! And thanks for the input on the review. I'll definitely get that added in.

• 1 month later...
Hi Carewser,

Before responding to these comments please take the time to improve your knowledge and read some more about digital audio on these sites:

The Well-Tempered Computer

Computer Audio

Also Google - computer audio, DAC, digital audio etc...

Please understand that most here are happy to help those that make the effort to help themselves and have the courage to say I don't know instead of pushing their viewpoint without the necessary knowledge to substantiate it.

I look forward to assisting you on your audio journey.

Good luck and all the best,

Just found this thread as I was looking at Audioengine A5+, HD6 and then Dynaudio (already seems like a rabbit hole) and just generally reading.

Wanted to say thanks for the useful links

Cheers

I have been looking for some powered speakers and ending up selecting PSB Alpha PS1s. I also am running a Heos 5 in conjunction with the PSBs through the same DAC (Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus).....using Roon and HQPlayer (PCM) and am very happy with the sound of the new powered speakers.

• 1 month later...

hope you don't mind if i reopen this thread.

i'm also seeking a nice sounding desktop setup with 2 speakers that sound great and aren't too big....just getting back in audio...started with headfi stuff and now that is pretty much settled in...but thought it'd be nice to have some music when i'm at my desk or cooking dinner (desk = dinner table too)...smallish kitchen.

i love a balanced sound, detailed, good bass slam when needed...for rock, blues and jazz.

i've been offered some kef egg for cdn 380...or the kef x300 for cdn 500....i'll build up my home system slowly, but for now am starting in the kitchen.

originally i was (still am, to be frank) considering a wifi/wls setup: b/w zeppelin...or naim mu so qb ...but others have suggested to go for wired setup to get better sound.

my source is a laptop, and i use alot of streaming ( tidal hifi )...will also be buying flac from pono and other stores. also have some itunes.

wouldn't mind trying to use my chord mojo or iFi micro idsd or dragonfly red as a dac/preamp to any self powered speaker.

other speakers i'm looking at: klipsch synergy 2.0 for cdn 150

adam acoustic a7x but a bit pricey.

also psb speakers: alpha b1 or ps 1

any thoughts are welcomed....still in research mode as to best direction to go.

thank you!

I would definitely consider the adam acoustic, but that's just a personal thought

thank you...have done further thinking and have decided that i'm going to go smaller,

just less clutter as i don't have a professional workspace: instead just a small desk/kitchen table.

...so am looking at kef egg, b&w mm1, m-audio av 40 or 42, audioengine a2+

...the yorkville sound ysm5 monitors were mentioned and they interest me but wau too large.

i am now leaning towards smaller, lighter speakers as i'm never going to blare them full on:

instead they'll be played at more at moderate levels..

...i do love rock, blues, jazz, balanced, clear but with good bass slam.

....guess later i could buy a small sub if need be.

mostly tidal hifi.

thoughts on most well rounded with good bottom end of those mentioned?

thank you again.

thank you...have done further thinking and have decided that i'm going to go smaller,

just less clutter as i don't have a professional workspace: instead just a small desk/kitchen table.

...the yorkville sound ysm5 monitors were mentioned and they interest me but wau too large.

i am now leaning towards smaller, lighter speakers as i'm never going to blare them full on:

mostly tidal hifi.

thank you again.

There are a lot of good manufacturers of active speakers such as KEF, Focal, Tannoy, Dynaudio, JBL, Genelec, etc., however, my experience has been with Adam active speakers from Germany.

On eBay you can find the Adam A5s at US$730 / pair, which are a compact size and should be perfect, however, for less money look at the F5s at US$560. These have a 5" woofer and ribbon tweeter and sound exceptional with a high quality DAC such as the Mojo. For more base look at the A7 and F7, which have a 7" woofer. Obviously the final choice depends on room size and budget.

I've had the A7 (succeeded by the A7x) as desktop speakers in my home office for over 5 years and have played them nearly every day without any issues, such as fatigue, just excellent sound. Highly recommended.

Pro Audio Products | ADAM Audio GmbH

Good luck

Ajax

mostly tidal hifi.

thank you again.

I don't think you'll get good bottom end on anything but the Egg. And that's a maybe.The Egg is the only one I haven't heard. One review suggests they will play down to 55Hz with tight bass, but the official spec is 80Hz, so I'd try to demo them. The smaller Adams are very good as well, as has been mentioned. Good luck.

I don't think you'll get good bottom end on anything but the Egg. And that's a maybe.The Egg is the only one I haven't heard. One review suggests they will play down to 55Hz with tight bass, but the official spec is 80Hz, so I'd try to demo them. The smaller Adams are very good as well, as has been mentioned. Good luck.

thanks

i can get a pair of eggs for US$299...and a pair of the kef x300a for US$380, which i hear are better than the egg....the latter can't take a sub, but i'm not into heavy bass for a desktop...just ample bass and real bass, but goo resolution, balance and detail, too

There are a lot of good manufacturers of active speakers such as KEF, Focal, Tannoy, Dynaudio, JBL, Genelec, etc., however, my experience has been with Adam active speakers from Germany.

On eBay you can find the Adam A5s at US$730 / pair, which are a compact size and should be perfect, however, for less money look at the F5s at US$560. These have a 5" woofer and ribbon tweeter and sound exceptional with a high quality DAC such as the Mojo. For more base look at the A7 and F7, which have a 7" woofer. Obviously the final choice depends on room size and budget.

I've had the A7 (succeeded by the A7x) as desktop speakers in my home office for over 5 years and have played them nearly every day without any issues, such as fatigue, just excellent sound. Highly recommended.

Pro Audio Products | ADAM Audio GmbH

Good luck

Ajax

thanks..is there a major diff in sound between the adam f5 and a5x?

the earmotiva airmotiv 4s also look interesting.

and i can get a pair of excellent (used) condition focal cms 40s for US$533

and the jbl 305 still get fab reviews too...but a bit largish for my smallish desk/kitchen table (same gig for adam f5 and a5x a bit)

would love the sound of a 5" woofer in a smaller cabinet...but genelecs are $$$

thanks..is there a major diff in sound between the adam f5 and a5x?

the earmotiva airmotiv 4s also look interesting.

and i can get a pair of excellent (used) condition focal cms 40s for US$533

and the jbl 305 still get fab reviews too...but a bit largish for my smallish desk/kitchen table (same gig for adam f5 and a5x a bit)

would love the sound of a 5" woofer in a smaller cabinet...but genelecs are $$$

Hi canali,

I can only really comment on the Adam A7 and A5 speakers as I have listened to the A7 (without sub) as my desktop speakers for many years and they do NOT require a sub in a desktop situation, however, you may find them impractical because of their size. I have heard the A5 demoed WITH a sub in a large room 20' x 20' and they sounded superb. I have not heard them without a sub but I assume that they would be ideal for a desk top situation in a small office if size was important.

I have not heard the Adam F series but based on Adam's excellent ribbon tweeter I would imagine they would definitely warrant a demo.

Sorry I can't be more help except to say Adam A7 have provided me years of critical listening and Adam speakers warrant being placed on your short list to trial. The best recommendation I can give you is that Sir George Martin's son Giles used Adam speakers as his monitors while remastering the Beatles classics for the "love" album.

"Once he'd secured the job, Abbey Road engineers set to work building a studio to Giles's specifications ("Which is always nice," he laughs). He chose to work in Pro Tools ("They've only just updated me — I was on 6.4 for ages") run on a Mac, using Adam S3A monitors ("They're the best cross between nearfield and big studio speakers")."

All the best,

Ajax

You could purchase a pair of JBL LSR305 speakers with that DAC and run it out of your MAC's optical outlet, which is shared with the headphone outlet, for around $US400 total system price and have the beginnings of a great sounding HIFI System. One where a guitar sounds like a guitar and a snare drum sounds like a snare drum etc etc.

Ajax

sorry for my naivete guys, but can this also be done from a windows based laptop to the jbl 305 (or other self powered speakers, as below) using a dragonfly red, iFi micro iDSD or chord mojo?

while i'd love to get the adam a5x, they're a bit out of my league, price wise...that said, the emotiva 4s and adam f5 also look interesting, in addition to the jbl 305.

I'd pick the Adams,JBls or Focals. Long time Adam A7x user and they are great speakers. I use them professionally and know them very well sonically. The amp in one speaker died last year and cost $450 to replace but that happens I guess.

Stay away from the Yorkville/krk combo. You don't need a sub. That money would be better spent on the main monitors.

You don't need a crappy interface either as you're more than adequately covered in that area.