IGNORED

ELAC's Debut line - anyone have these speakers yet?

If so what model, what amp are you driving them with, and what are your impressions?

I ask as they made quite an impression on the reviewers and are now widely available, but I have not heard much user feedback yet...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I'm about to purchase the Elac S10 for my system at work. Hopefully it will not rumble my office walls too much to the point it annoys my co-workers. I have not heard it myself, but it is dirty cheap and the designer is rather competent so I don't think I am really taking much of a flyer.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

speakers

CNET just loves the B6 - but then, I have to question CNET as a source for speaker reviews...

ELAC Debut B6 review - CNET

also

Tom Norton on Trade Day | Stereophile.com

Heard the F5 at RMAF. I would say this turns on its head received wisdom about what to spend money on in a system. The F5 floorstanding towers, MSRP $560, sounded fantastic being driven by several thousand dollars worth of electronics. I'd say they'd do perfect justice to some pretty costly boxes in front of them.

I have the Pioneer predecessors to the B5 and B6 in my desktop system, and like them a lot. The dead simple DSP setup (you do it with an iPhone) is extremely clever.

Based on RMAF I'm very tempted to replace my Pioneers, but my wife says I don't need new desktop speakers, and the Pioneers ($79/pr) sound good enough it's hard to argue with her.

Andrew Jones is a very smart man.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Well, I need new "desktop speakers" so at these prices I took the plunge and just ordered a pair of B6, as they were only $50 more than the more appropriately sized (but probably still too large) B5's :) I also ordered an Emotiva mini (on sale now at $149) to drive them. LOL, should be quite a "desktop/computer speaker" system. I wonder if I will really be able to have them only a few feet from my face. Oh well, as they say you can never have too many cubic inches...I see speaker stands in my future... ;)

I will report my very subjective sonic impressions when I get them later this week.

my wife says I don't need new desktop speakers.

That's not fair! Revolt!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Heard the F5 at RMAF. I would say this turns on its head received wisdom about what to spend money on in a system. The F5 floorstanding towers, MSRP $560, sounded fantastic being driven by several thousand dollars worth of electronics. I'd say they'd do perfect justice to some pretty costly boxes in front of them.

I have the Pioneer predecessors to the B5 and B6 in my desktop system, and like them a lot. The dead simple DSP setup (you do it with an iPhone) is extremely clever.

Based on RMAF I'm very tempted to replace my Pioneers, but my wife says I don't need new desktop speakers, and the Pioneers ($79/pr) sound good enough it's hard to argue with her.

Andrew Jones is a very smart man.

So is Jud for listening to his wife!!.... (as all happily married men can attest)

Repeat as often as is necessary: Happy Wife, happy life!

I was reading a post on another forum (and I will be paraphrasing) where a man was at a (HT) demo with his wife there. When the discussion came around to the cost; her attitude was "You don't know how much I spend on shoes and handbags so I don't need to know how much ... it will make you happy so go for it".

Now thats the way it should be ... a Happy marriage!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I was reading a post on another forum (and I will be paraphrasing) where a man was at a (HT) demo with his wife there. When the discussion came around to the cost; her attitude was "You don't know how much I spend on shoes and handbags so I don't need to know how much ... it will make you happy so go for it".

Now thats the way it should be ... a Happy marriage!

My wife is actually quite proud of her ability to get bargains on clothing and accessories (there must be some sort of higher math involved in her stacking various discounts and sales coupons, but she and the clerks appear to agree on the result), so I know exactly what she spends. No help there. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My wife is actually quite proud of her ability to get bargains on clothing and accessories (there must be some sort of higher math involved in her stacking various discounts and sales coupons, but she and the clerks appear to agree on the result), so I know exactly what she spends. No help there. :)

She lets my know she found a 4000.00 Prada purse for 2500.00 at Marshall's. Or a 2500.00 Burbury at Costco for 1899.00.

Makes my audio expenditures look petty. She only asks why we have six cars.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Well, I need new "desktop speakers" so at these prices I took the plunge and just ordered a pair of B6, as they were only $50 more than the more appropriately sized (but probably still too large) B5's :) I also ordered an Emotiva mini (on sale now at $149) to drive them. LOL, should be quite a "desktop/computer speaker" system. I wonder if I will really be able to have them only a few feet from my face. Oh well, as they say you can never have too many cubic inches...I see speaker stands in my future... ;)

I will report my very subjective sonic impressions when I get them later this week.

I have the Emotiva amp on my desk and that baby sounds really good with lots of power for those bookshelves.

Well, my trip to Philly has been delayed until tomorrow so I got to spend a little more time with the Emotiva and Elac B6's today. I am feeding them mostly Tidal and my collection of 16/44 or higher res through an iFI iDSD. Cabling is a mix of Audioquest and the higher end stuff (for them) from Emotiva.

At first, I was a little "what's the big deal", but after about 10 hours on them they have "opened up" a bit as they say. The bass extension is very good, and instruments such as bass and cello sound pretty darn good. Female voices sound pretty good, but strangely male voices still sound a little "closed in" or veiled, as does the piano. I am hoping with more break in this will become less noticeable.

I think at this price point, one notices the lack of "air" and what not in the treble - this tweeter seems limited compared to say, the Martin Logan 35XT or something in the midrange from B&W (both of which I hear recently, and of course cost 3x (or more) as these Elacs). I understand this tweeter rolls of fairly rapidly above 10k.

So for $280 in speakers, $150 in amplification, $190 in DAC, and another $100 or so in cables how does it all stack up? Well, I am "satisfied" but not "overwhelmed". If that "viel" lifts some in the mid/voice region through more breakin, I will then be genuinely impressed.

Of course I am now listening to the Silje Nergaard and Kurt Elling duet "The Dance Floor" and I think I really have nothing to complain about all all... :)

Well, my trip to Philly has been delayed until tomorrow so I got to spend a little more time with the Emotiva and Elac B6's today. I am feeding them mostly Tidal and my collection of 16/44 or higher res through an iFI iDSD. Cabling is a mix of Audioquest and the higher end stuff (for them) from Emotiva.

At first, I was a little "what's the big deal", but after about 10 hours on them they have "opened up" a bit as they say. The bass extension is very good, and instruments such as bass and cello sound pretty darn good. Female voices sound pretty good, but strangely male voices still sound a little "closed in" or veiled, as does the piano. I am hoping with more break in this will become less noticeable.

I think at this price point, one notices the lack of "air" and what not in the treble - this tweeter seems limited compared to say, the Martin Logan 35XT or something in the midrange from B&W (both of which I hear recently, and of course cost 3x (or more) as these Elacs). I understand this tweeter rolls of fairly rapidly above 10k.

So for $280 in speakers, $150 in amplification, $190 in DAC, and another $100 or so in cables how does it all stack up? Well, I am "satisfied" but not "overwhelmed". If that "viel" lifts some in the mid/voice region through more breakin, I will then be genuinely impressed.

Of course I am now listening to the Silje Nergaard and Kurt Elling duet "The Dance Floor" and I think I really have nothing to complain about all all... :)

Speakers that are delivered for a couple hundred dollars are not state the air. I thing the drivers are fine. The cabinets and crossovers are a limiting factor.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.