IGNORED

Which one HP, in this case, should i take? m50x vs. srh840

Hey guys, i've been researching headphones for a quite good time. Now i have to take a decision and i need your help.

I've bought today the X-fi hd creative usb sound card and i have to chose one headphone too.

I really enjoy "punch bass" and feel surrounded in musics and games. But i really care about the "clarity" of the sound with good sound stage and good mids/highs. (I like rap/hip hop/dubstep/rock)

I know its controverse, but i already know that i want a closed back headphone. But i would appreciate if I could take a "cristal clear" headphone but not that kind of boriness of flat sound. I want emotion during musics without losing the quality.

So, after searching a lot, i'm between 2:

-Shure SRH 840 with the bass "boosted" on my X-fi HD.

-Ath m50x with the mids "boosted" on my x-fi with the intention to turn it more "cristalyzed".

I've read a lot about the DT770 and 880 too, but a lot of people had trouble with the sibilance, and i dont want it to be a concern, these hp's that I pretend to buy must last a good while. (i expect that things like that don't happen to srh 840)

So.. i would enjoy if you comment here what should I do, since i've almost bought the m50x but the "muddy" sound reported on these made me a little appreensive.

Sorry for the bad english, i'm not american.. haha

thank you very much for your attention.

Yuri

Hey guys, i've been researching headphones for a quite good time. Now i have to take a decision and i need your help.

I've bought today the X-fi hd creative usb sound card and i have to chose one headphone too.

I really enjoy "punch bass" and feel surrounded in musics and games. But i really care about the "clarity" of the sound with good sound stage and good mids/highs. (I like rap/hip hop/dubstep/rock)

I know its controverse, but i already know that i want a closed back headphone. But i would appreciate if I could take a "cristal clear" headphone but not that kind of boriness of flat sound. I want emotion during musics without losing the quality.

So, after searching a lot, i'm between 2:

-Shure SRH 840 with the bass "boosted" on my X-fi HD.

-Ath m50x with the mids "boosted" on my x-fi with the intention to turn it more "cristalyzed".

I've read a lot about the DT770 and 880 too, but a lot of people had trouble with the sibilance, and i dont want it to be a concern, these hp's that I pretend to buy must last a good while. (i expect that things like that don't happen to srh 840)

So.. i would enjoy if you comment here what should I do, since i've almost bought the m50x but the "muddy" sound reported on these made me a little appreensive.

Sorry for the bad english, i'm not american.. haha

thank you very much for your attention.

Yuri

I have the M50x. I don't think you will need to boost anything on it the mids are clear and the bass and the treble Are emphasized a bit just like you want. However if it does have a sonic problem it is in the base and that when it gets loud the bass gets loose. You can fix this by Eq and turn down the bass a bit but then you bassheads lose what you're looking for.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I have the M50x. I don't think you will need to boost anything on it the mids are clear and the bass and the treble Are emphasized a bit just like you want. However if it does have a sonic problem it is in the base and that when it gets loud the bass gets loose. You can fix this by Eq and turn down the bass a bit but then you bassheads lose what you're looking for.

But what about those who say that the m50x sounds a bit muddy? And its not as cristal clear as the other..

Did you tried any other? (Like the dt770 or srh840)

But what about those who say that the m50x sounds a bit muddy? And its not as cristal clear as the other..

Did you tried any other? (Like the dt770 or srh840)

I would not describe the m50x bass as "muddy", certainly not at low to normal or moderate listening levels. It is defiantly overemphasized (not sure by how many db but it is significant). It does get a bit "muddy" or "loose" (I like the latter term because to me "muddy" describes a character that should be present at all volumes for me) when you turn it up, and my guess this is so simply because you are hitting the limits of the driver - perhaps if I had more powerful headphone amps the bass would be as tight as it needs to be. In any case, the bass is not "muddy" like for instance of some more popular brands like Skullcandy or Beats - those products to me have "muddy" (and of course overemphasized) bass at all volumes. Also, I would say that the resolution and detail of mids and highs of the m50x is quite good, if not quite up to more expensive headphones. At their price level however, they are probably on the top of the heap.

My other headphone right now is the NAD HP50. Now this is a "warm" headphone to many, but I would not call it's bass overemphasized or "muddy" at any volume. However, it does not have the tinkly twinkly high end (emphasized, whether it is clear and resolving or not) that many folks want now out of their speakers as many believe it allows them to hear "detail" and what not. The HP50 highs are very detailed and so on, they just are much more naturally balanced to actual live music. I was reminded of this once again after attending my local symphony this past Saturday night. The M50X is trying too hard to deliver an excess of low bass and highs so that the music does not sound natural - but if you are a "basshead" and into electronic and/or pop then that might be what you are looking for.

I have no experience with the other phones you mention so I can't speak to them...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Thank you for your answers. I understand that the m50x is awesome.. but my decision is about basically: can i get the srh840 or dt770 (if it doesnt have any sibilance problem), which have more clarity and soundstage (for some electro and rock this is important, and mainly games ♡) and boost their bass with my x-fi hd to get it like the m50x?

I have to hear someone who tried something like this haha.

As more i stay here, searching, more i see that you can always get a little better.

Ps: i'm not exacly basshead, i really consider good and deep bass, but other things concern me too. Listen to "beija flor-cacife clandestino" on YT and you will understand me. (This song doenst have bass.. but the mid... ♡)

Ps2: if you will listen to the music, just ignore the ridiculous video..

I had the same dilemma some months ago. I auditioned the AT-50 or AT-50x, and I had it on my head for about ten seconds. Forget the raving reviews, and people saying it is so balanced and 'does not hide any detail', 'you will hear everything like it was recorded'. It is a very colored sounding, muddy, thumpy sounding pair of cans.

Enter the SRH840. It has a very clear sound, crisp, very 'unveiled'. And it has the lows that the SRH440 is missing.

Eventually I bought the Beyerdynamic DT770p ro-80. It's sound quality was very close to the SRH840, but more comfortable for me because of larger earcups that stand off a bit further from the ears. The SRH840 got slightly sweaty after 5mins.

Sound quality wise, I'd pick the SHURE SRH840 over the Audio Technica.

I had the same dilemma some months ago. I auditioned the AT-50 or AT-50x, and I had it on my head for about ten seconds. Forget the raving reviews, and people saying it is so balanced and 'does not hide any detail', 'you will hear everything like it was recorded'. It is a very colored sounding, muddy, thumpy sounding pair of cans.

Enter the SRH840. It has a very clear sound, crisp, very 'unveiled'. And it has the lows that the SRH440 is missing.

Eventually I bought the Beyerdynamic DT770p ro-80. It's sound quality was very close to the SRH840, but more comfortable for me because of larger earcups that stand off a bit further from the ears. The SRH840 got slightly sweaty after 5mins.

Sound quality wise, I'd pick the SHURE SRH840 over the Audio Technica.

Cool! But what about the sibilance problems reported on dt770?

So.. in your opinion, the bass on dt770 is as good as on the m50x? But with more soundstage and clarity right?

Does it sound flat and boring?

Please help me to decide, i have 1 day haha

The SRH 840 has a severe bass problem. Just listen to the opening drum beats of the Jennifer Warnes recording of Rock You Gently - you'll understand. The M50 series aren't perfect, i.e. they have colorations, but it's a monitor-class headphone, so probably the best bet for the price.

Hey dalethorn, ok, i understand. But i've found a dt770 in the same price.. haha, now my dilema is between dt770 and m50x.

Thank you for sharing

Never heard any problems like this on m50x. What are the solutions? I'm affraid to buy it.

I had the M50, and according to A-T they all sound identical. You can check reviews by googling it. I would suggest avoiding headfi references unless you're very careful, because there you usually end up in 500 pages of chat, which discourages people from further research. But google it as "ath m50 review", and see what you find. I've learned a lot in the last 5 years about which sites have real reviews and which ones are just "house" reviews that parrot the manufacturers' promo material. Unfortunately there's no way to communicate that here, but you'll figure it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/product-reviews/B00HVLUR86/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

I had the M50, and according to A-T they all sound identical. You can check reviews by googling it. I would suggest avoiding headfi references unless you're very careful, because there you usually end up in 500 pages of chat, which discourages people from further research. But google it as "ath m50 review", and see what you find. I've learned a lot in the last 5 years about which sites have real reviews and which ones are just "house" reviews that parrot the manufacturers' promo material. Unfortunately there's no way to communicate that here, but you'll figure it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/product-reviews/B00HVLUR86/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

Ok, this helped me a lot with the "oversearching" problem.

Well, so, if there is a oportunity, i should take the DT770, right? I was just afraid that the sibilance problem could ruin my musical experience, AND the fact that some guys said that to cut the sibilance off, you just have to dramatically change de sound.

I'm no producer or use it to record or things like that, i just use headphones to have good musical listening and cristal clear sound. Secondary i use it in games. Bass are fun, this is fact, but soundstage is fun aswell. So... it's a complicated thing.

The detachable cable and the extra ones are pretty atractive too, it's a hard choice.

Ok, this helped me a lot with the "oversearching" problem.

Well, so, if there is a oportunity, i should take the DT770, right? I was just afraid that the sibilance problem could ruin my musical experience, AND the fact that some guys said that to cut the sibilance off, you just have to dramatically change the sound. I'm no producer or use it to record or things like that, i just use headphones to have good musical listening and cristal clear sound. Secondary i use it in games. Bass are fun, this is fact, but soundstage is fun aswell. So... it's a complicated thing. The detachable cable and the extra ones are pretty attractive too, it's a hard choice.

The peak, around 9 khz I think (and that depends on whether you use the velour or pleather earpads), could be irritating. I ran across several solutions for the Apple i-devices, but for computers you would need an equalizer that cuts 9 khz and boosts 10 khz, or approximately those frequencies. 10-band equalizers can't do that. The M50 headphone may or may not irritate at first, but you'll discover the bad news in the long run. Finding a good neutral sound in that price range is problematic, but a good equalizer will increase the value of your headphone 100 times over.