IGNORED

Server, software for about 2500 CDs

Hi, my father has got about 2500 CDs of only classical music that we want to copy on a nas, and I would love some suggestions.

Most important for us is the quality, so I was wondering, which is the best format to copy 2500+ CDs without losing quality? Which is the best software (better for macs but it's ok also for windows) to copy all the CDs?

I wanted to copy all the CDs on a nas, so we can use them with both our hi fi systems and also outside home. I already have a synology ds 215j, is it ok to use standard 7200 RPM WD hard drives with a raid one configuration? If not can you suggest some drives? How many GBs would be necessary for the entire library?

I think that using iTunes for managing 2500+ CDs of high quality would be a terrible idea can you suggest me a software?

Thanks to everybody!

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

For classical, Classical Music Organizer & Music Player Software Suite MusiCHI Suite Free Download is often recommended as it goes beyond the normal Artist / Album / Track structure as you are likely o want to browse by Composer / Composition / Conductor / Orchestra.

For 2500 CD you'll need around 1.5TB for uncompressed (WAV or AIFF) or 1TB if you use lossless compression (FLAC or Apple Lossless). You'll also need ideally at least 2 backups - one kept away from home.

When you say "outside the home" are you using something like an iPhone?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Federico,

You can rip to any: WAV/AIFF/FLAC/ALAC. All these formats lossless and fully identical by binary content of audio data and sound quality.

Also support metadata.

There files you can use for backup, as recommend Eloise above.

Further you can convert these backup files to any mobile format: mp3/lossless pcm/dsd.

Or optimize audio resolution to native for your home DAC: convert backup files to native (for the DAC) sample rate and bit depth.

Backups need for re-resampling/re-format for further new DAC or digital portable audio player. Also it save from degrading/damaging/loss of compact dist.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Hi and thank you both for the answers. I have decided I'm not going to use lossless compression formats because space is not a problem.

Thank you also for the music organizer software. When I was saying outside home I was thinking to use an iPhone.

Do you think that using: one hard drive for storing all the music in not compressed audio files, One hard drive in raid one same to the first one, another hard drive with all the files but compressed In lossless format for mobile phones outside of the network and one backup hard drive with the uncompressed files stored away from home, would be a good system?

The hard drive with the lossless files would be used to optimize the bandwidth use without losing definition.

I don't know much about DAC so I'm going to search something online

Thank you all.

Federico

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi and thank you both for the answers. I have decided I'm not going to use lossless compression formats because space is not a problem.

1 plus for lossless, if you rip to FLAC you can embed metadata and there's is a crc check built into the format.

There's no standard way to do so with WAV which leaves you slave to the filename. If they get messed up you're largely SOL.

Although it sounds contradictory, there is an uncompressed version of FLAC, which will retain all metadata.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao Federico,

I use Musichi and it's really good for tagging and support is great. However it has a step learning curve, but I'm sure your dad will enjoy it if he's a classical lover like myself. And I'm not alone,

In my personal opinion and based on the considerable work I have invested into tagging my classical music collection, if your intention is to digitise your collection and access it from a NAS (which I believe is the only way to efficiently access a large collection in any event), the MusiCHI tagger is an invaluable time saver.

Regarding NAS, you can use Minim Server on your Synology to manage access from other devices as described here.

I'm using MinimServer in combination with the Lumin or Kinsky app and a Pioneer streamer as renderer and it works without any flaws

All the best and enjoy!

Most important for us is the quality, so I was wondering, which is the best format to copy 2500+ CDs without losing quality? Which is the best software (better for macs but it's ok also for windows) to copy all the CDs?

I wanted to copy all the CDs on a nas, so we can use them with both our hi fi systems and also outside home. I already have a synology ds 215j, is it ok to use standard 7200 RPM WD hard drives with a raid one configuration? If not can you suggest some drives? How many GBs would be necessary for the entire library?

Ciao Federico,

I use Musichi and it's really good for tagging and support is great. However it has a step learning curve, but I'm sure your dad will enjoy it if he's a classical lover like myself. And I'm not alone,

Regarding NAS, you can use Minim Server on your Synology to manage access from other devices as described here.

All the best and enjoy!

Thank you really much for your answer. I have downloaded the software yesterday night and I am going to try it in this days!

Inviato dal mio iPhone 5S Gold 32GB utilizzando Tapatalk