IGNORED

Same LPS rail powering picopsu and cpu..defeating the purpose?

tboooe

I am finally taking the plunge and going to experiment with powering various parts of my audio pc with an LPS. Before I spend money on a multi rail LPS like the HDPlex I was going to use my Keces single output LPS and experiment a bit. My question is if I am defeating the purpose by powering the picopsu and cpu from the same 12v output of my LPS? Should each component (picopsu, cpu, ssd, usb) ideally be on separate rails? I ask because ideally I could use the HDPlex to power both of my low power audio pcs. This was what I was thinking:

HDPlex output #1 (12v) - picopsu and cpu of pc #1

HDPlex output #2 (12v) - picopsu and cpu of pc #2

HDPlex output #3 (5v) - ssd of pc #1 and #2

HDPlex output #4 - usb card of pc #2

Would this work in terms of yielding maximum sonic benefits?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Right, I will have it custom made to have 2 12v outputs. I've already confirmed with HDPlex that it won't be a problem.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Paul Pang advised me that it's better to power the CPU separately rather than through the pico, even if they're both 12V, and even if they're both through the same rail on the same supply. Theory being, I assume, is that by removing the pico from the chain so would any potential harmful effects it might add be removed. Seems to me that it's still pretty clean power coming from the LPS even when it powers both.

I guess you might also say, how far could one take this, with each device having its own rail... how many power supplies/rails would you ultimately need? One each for SSDs, USB cards, CPU, pico, etc.

Some people have successfully powered 5V devices from a rechargeable battery supply, even using one of those handy cell phone chargers with 5V USB out available pretty much everywhere, and a DIY USB to SATA or Molex connector. That would be one less LPS rail to worry about.

Bear in mind I'm NOT an electronics wiz so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to speak a bit more wisely about this.

In any case I'm about to do similar experimentation so can't wait to hear about your progress.

This makes me wonder...if I power the SSD and the CPU from separate rails of an LPS, is there any benefit to powering the picopsu as well with an LPS?

Other components:

I am finally taking the plunge and going to experiment with powering various parts of my audio pc with an LPS. Before I spend money on a multi rail LPS like the HDPlex I was going to use my Keces single output LPS and experiment a bit. My question is if I am defeating the purpose by powering the picopsu and cpu from the same 12v output of my LPS? Should each component (picopsu, cpu, ssd, usb) ideally be on separate rails? I ask because ideally I could use the HDPlex to power both of my low power audio pcs. This was what I was thinking:

HDPlex output #1 (12v) - picopsu and cpu of pc #1

HDPlex output #2 (12v) - picopsu and cpu of pc #2

HDPlex output #3 (5v) - ssd of pc #1 and #2

HDPlex output #4 - usb card of pc #2

Would this work in terms of yielding maximum sonic benefits?

What CPU will you be using? This set up can bear a maximum of 160W. And ideally you do not want to get too close to that level as ripple nois increases exponentially, even on a LPSU.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

What CPU will you be using? This set up can bear a maximum of 160W. And ideally you do not want to get too close to that level as ripple nois increases exponentially, even on a LPSU.

Good question. PC#1 is an Atom 525 cpu and PC#2 is an i3-3220T. Both of these draw a combine 60W max in my system.

Other components: