IGNORED

USB Disruptor

"They may look similar but they are different on the inside. There are many levels of quality to power supplies, some are very inexpensive, and others like USB Disruptor are very expensive. It's two ends of a spectrum."

Even if that were true, you wouldn't know if the ones I have are different unless you compare them. Also, you've stated several times that the power supply you use is much more expensive. How expensive could it be if the entire product retails for $50?

@Oystein.

"I also believe it is beneficial to cut the power already at the source side of the cable and not at the receiving end as AQVOX does.

Even if the power is not used a noisy power being present at the power conductors in the USB cable still can disturb the USB signal.

Due to capicitance in the cable there will be leakage currents due to the HF noise which will cause some radiaton.

So I prefer to have a clean power running parallel the signal leads in the USB cable :-)"

This Aqvox connector is placed at the source :-)

image.jpg

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

I should have said that additionally a dual type USB cable, like the iFi Gemini, will keep the cleaner power separate from the data cable.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

They may look similar but they are different on the inside. There are many levels of quality to power supplies, some are very inexpensive, and others like USB Disruptor are very expensive. It's two ends of a spectrum. ...

Very true. For example:

iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony

Looking at the noise performance of some of the cheaper examples, you don't want to skimp on power supply specification - but you do need to do your own measurements to confirm the one you are using is up to spec.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

@Liam:

I was not aware that AQVOX changed their plug in the menatime for "source side" connection with type A connector.

On the previous page post #43 there is still the type B connector for the receiving end of the cable which I was referring to.

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

@Liam:

I was not aware that AQVOX changed their plug in the menatime for "source side" connection with type A connector.

On the previous page post #43 there is still the type B connector for the receiving end of the cable which I was referring to.

They provide the option. They have done this possibly from the outset. Certainly since I bought mine a couple of years ago now.

Very true. For example:

iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony

Looking at the noise performance of some of the cheaper examples, you don't want to skimp on power supply specification - but you do need to do your own measurements to confirm the one you are using is up to spec.

That link was totally cool Don - thanks for posting it! -Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I don't think that example applies here. Were not talking about counterfeit chargers. The ones I have came in the box with new products.

My point was that with chargers / plugpacks you usually get what you pay for, as illustrated by the blog post. Rob says that the one he supplies is the best performing of the ones he tested. You have no guarantee that your examples have the same internals as his.

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

"Rob says that the one he supplies is the best performing of the ones he tested. You have no guarantee that your examples have the same internals as his."

That's why I asked the question in the first place. He states as fact that his is better and/or different. Maybe, but I so no reason that must be true.

Also, I'm probably looking at this from a different perspective. I've read Rob's posts on Audiogon. You can pretty much say whatever you want over there and not get edited. And he does. He makes some of the most ridiculous, arrogant, "I know better than you" comments I've ever read. If Rob made the same comments over here, he would have been thrown off this site in a matter of minutes.

"Rob says that the one he supplies is the best performing of the ones he tested. You have no guarantee that your examples have the same internals as his."

That's why I asked the question in the first place. He states as fact that his is better and/or different. Maybe, but I so no reason that must be true.

Also, I'm probably looking at this from a different perspective. I've read Rob's posts on Audiogon. You can pretty much say whatever you want over there and not get edited. And he does. He makes some of the most ridiculous, arrogant, "I know better than you" comments I've ever read. If Rob made the same comments over here, he would have been thrown off this site in a matter of minutes.

I saw those too before this thread went up. Looking at it again, the marketing-heavy and data-light product presentation leads me to think that nothing besides more of the same is likely to come.

i don't buy the premise that removal of the "dirty" 5 volts is the great USB cable equalizer. When I cut off the 5v at the source end on my rig I still hear differences between various USB cables.

What kind of comments do you mean? Don't mistake confidence with arrogance. I know what I know from experience. You can't discount what I hear. And being an audiophile you should know that not everything necessarily does what you think. Sometimes the sound changes without a good reason. Even humidity makes a difference.

But, as far as facts go, here are some:

The USB Disruptor power supply output frequency is over 25,000 hz, so it's beyond the audible bands.

Line regulation is approximately .1% - which is pretty good.

The expense of the unit is a relative thing - so in terms of switch mode supplies this one is at the highest end.

Linear supplies are not always the best thing, it depends on slew rates. Often times there is a lot of trouble with linear supplies in being able to keep up with the speed of music. USB Disruptor power supply does not have this issue, but some of the other supplies I tried did.

We offer a 30 day money back guarantee, so there is not a lot to stop folks from trying it out. Oh, and it's pretty cost effective so it's within the reach of anyone with a USB DAC.

I realize this board is a bit more in depth than Audiogon, but that doesn't mean we need to abandon common sense. Were this a $500 or $5000 product you might expect more data. Though I have to say data is something that most audiophile gear manufacturers skimp on, no matter what price they charge.

Regarding the claims made about dirty USB power, I think this is really well known art. There's not one EE I've spoken to that says it's not an issue. I just got off the phone with Mark at PowerStream, he's a physicist, and he said USB 5 volt noise is a big problem. Now, is USB Disruptor a panacea? It is in terms of disrupting the computer's 5 volt power supply.

Is it the great USB cable equalizer? In other words, does the USB cable matter at all when using USB Disruptor? I couldn't tell, and I'm one of the people like many of us on the board that have the ears to hear the differences and know what to listen for. I tried different cables with no differences. Does that mean it's not possible to have differences? No, it just means I couldn't hear them. I also didn't use a $2000 USB cable, which I think is repugnant to reason, but it could sound different.

I encourage people to use their own judgement. You know, does the idea make sense, is it cost effective, can it be tried with no risk, etc. I've made many changes to the site to be more in line with what we're trying to do, which is get a great tool into the hands of audiophiles who love to serve music via computer!

Again, don't mistake confidence with arrogance. It is entirely possible what I'm saying is objectively true. So try it out and hear for yourself.

I also think that maybe adding a single Audioquest Jitterbug into the mix could be a benefit. I'm testing that out this weekend with a new friend from Worcester, MA.

And I'm hoping to have some empirical testing done this week so I can provide a before and after noise chart, to help folks get comfortable with the product.

Again, I want to thank everyone on this board for contributing. Ultimately the goal is to get great sounding music into the hands of folks that don't have our passion and commitment to trying everything out. They just want to plug it in and go! I have respect for that, I hope you do too.

And the digging of said hole cotinues...

I'm glad you posted. I should not have said that "most" audiophile manufacturers skimp on data. What I meant to say is there are products in the marketplace with means and basis I don't completely understand, and this is not meant to be an indictment. With USB Disruptor, it's pretty simple, we cut the power. Thus, no computer noise to infect anything. Is that a good idea? Is there a downside? These are important questions and it seems pretty objective, ex empirical testing, that there are more pollutants on the computer power side than on the USB Disruptor running on wall power side, it's objectively a much simpler path, far fewer parts that emit noise on the USB Disruptor side.

The downside is you have to spend money, that's never great, unless you're buying a gift of course and in that case then it's not really a downside, it's almost a plus really this being the holiday season.

Other downsides, you may have to listen to all of your music again because it could in fact be that interesting.

But, as far as facts go, here are some:

snip

Linear supplies are not always the best thing, it depends on slew rates. Often times there is a lot of trouble with linear supplies in being able to keep up with the speed of music. USB Disruptor power supply does not have this issue, but some of the other supplies I tried did.

And exactly what kind of music has faster slew rates on the USB cable vs music with slower slew rates on the USB cable?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

... Linear supplies are not always the best thing, it depends on slew rates. Often times there is a lot of trouble with linear supplies in being able to keep up with the speed of music. USB Disruptor power supply does not have this issue, but some of the other supplies I tried did. ...

This argument won't sell well with many audiophiles. "Linear" supplies are generally perceived as being preferable to SMPS supplies due to their lower noise and more stable output.

Okay then I don't get the comment. A PS for a USB connection, 5 volts DC, is keeping up with the speed of music better than linear supplies that sometimes don't you say. So how does music effect the needed slew rate in a 5 VDC power unit? You said in some other supplies you tried they did have the issue.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.