IGNORED

Barriers to Computer Audio

Apologies,

On second thoughts I think my post above is wrong (it's been a while since I owned a 95).

It's the Oppo 105 that can do all those things, I think maybe that the 95 can't be used as a renderer or USB DAC. Playing from network shares or USB drives is still a good place to start though

Here is a WD 4TB NAS for $140:

http://dealnews.com/lw/artclick.html?2,1529887,12353455

Here is a Zyxel $40 Wireless Router. BTW Zyxel is considered higher end and they also have a lot of business and even enterprise offereings.

ZyXEL VFG6005N 4-Port Wireless N Gigabit Firewall Gateway - Newegg.com

Just use it in WAP (wireless access point) mode and give it it's own SSID and Channel just for your music computer.

So: $140 for NAS, $40 for dedicated Music wireless, $99 Ultra Low Power Computer, $120 for a computer monitor or go big and get a 40" TV for ~$300.

That's anywhere from $400-580 for a solid setup. If you want to get a dedicated DAC look at the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. Has a remote and comes with a 30 day warranty. Thats $400 and it's not USB bus powered so no USB doohickey needed. I know DSD as a format will get mentioned. Unfortunately DSD is not widely available as a format and the DC-1 doesn't support it.

Have you ever gotten dropouts in the music using wireless?

Sorry. Didn't see this. I keep my music library on a firewire external drive. For fun I have played music on my from the wireless mounted drives. It works fine with audirvana memory play.

(On a separate note, conventional Airplay gives me dropouts in my bedroom sometimes.)

Have you ever gotten dropouts in the music using wireless?

I recently purchased an Airport Extreme and attached a 1TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive loaded with a library of music to test out its wireless capabilities with my audio system and so far so good, no dropouts. SQ is terrific as well.

Be very careful with that 3TB Seagate drive. (I have one too; picked it up at Costco cheap.) The failure rate is very high.

+1

Also: I've found Seagate drives to be noisier than WD.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks Bill. I was using it for off-sight backup purposes. Actually, it's fairly quiet .. oh, BTW I have the 1 TB drive not the 3 TB:

My noisier one (not awful, but the WDs are quieter) is a 4GB.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't really think you are in a terribly great position to be critical of other people's impatience, given your rather shocking rudeness, creepy stalking behavior, and inability to keep simple facts straight.

You just cannot control your nasty attitude and have to make everything about yourself. You really think it is ok to bully people here, it is not!

Please try and stop ruing people's experience here with your foolishness.

All you do is bully Sandy but it would behoove you to stop bullying me! We understand you have limited experience and hence limited advanced audio knowledge, so your perspective is skewed... But do not limit others conversations!

BTW: When you were having issues, all I tried to explain to you is that to best utilize ZFS you should use six or more hard drives you will get better use of the storage space, and you had a nasty comment.

Try acting like an adult, as it seems like a teenager has hacked your account and is posting.

Try and leave this thread on topic.

It wasn't designed for audio, it was designed for keyboards and mice, and possibly storage devices, printer interfaces and scanners. Because of the way it works, it is not really suited for continuous streaming applications because the computer can interrupt the stream for what it considers "higher priority" interrupts. So the downstream music processing devices such as DACs must be designed to take charge of the propriatizing of data in order not to interrupt the music stream. This is not ideal, and in some instances specific drivers must be written for each DAC used (MS Windows). It can work, and can be made to work quite well, but it's easier to use an interface more suited to audio such as optical or coaxial SPDIF or FireWire which has faster continuous throughput and was designed for audio and video.

And how do you best get theses interfaces from computer to DAC? IMO firewire is pretty much dead, so what are you using to connect to your computer?

All I've ever used is Seagate HDD's (cheapest possible) without one ever going bad in the past 13 years. You literally have to kick it or knock it over while on to destroy it, but that is the case with all HDD's. Anyways, backup, backup, puts the mind at ease regardless what make. YMMV

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I personally would not trust Seagate from a reliability standpoint either. YMMV

+1

I had four Seagate drives fail in a two week period. I use WD Red and Black drives now.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Laptop, at least 16gb of ram, jriver21, dbpoweramp to rip (it sounds better) use Aiff it's ubiquitous and you don't lose meta data, external storage ( back it up always and frequently) whether Nas or USB external hard drive.

USB capable DAC, half decent cable (Supra), interconnects, Amplification, Speakers or Headphones. DONE, Nuf said. Simple.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

+1

I had four Seagate drives fail in a two week period. I use WD Red and Black drives now.

Ditto 4 in 1 year, including both at once on my Nas had to 're rip over 1000 CDs and lost all my downloads due to faulty external Seagate hdd.

Laptop, at least 16gb of ram, jriver21, dbpoweramp to rip (it sounds better) use Aiff it's ubiquitous and you don't lose meta data, external storage ( back it up always and frequently) whether Nas or USB external hard drive.

USB capable DAC, half decent cable (Supra), interconnects, Amplification, Speakers or Headphones. DONE, Nuf said. Simple.

Laptop with 16GB RAM, yes. JRiver if using Windows and Audirvana + if using a Mac. Rip with dbpoweramp yes, but use uncompressed flac for the best metadata support and sound quality (basically a wav in a flac container). Yes to the rest. IMHO naturally :)

OK, at least now I know what this is really about.

But "this" is not really about the thread topic, so let's get back to that.

OK, at least now I know what this is really about.

Jumping to conclusions as usual ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

It's killing me to know what everyone is doing that has wireless so unreliable. I don't remember a single drop out due to wireless in the last 5-6 years ever. One weekends I easily stream 20GB of audio over the wireless.

Wireless is brain dead simple to setup and be reliable and I'm doing it with vanilla hardware. The most expensive piece is a Dlink POE AP that cost me $80 and is N300.

Also what is this with data corruption? You rip your music to the NAS once. You read many times. It's just a read operation. DATA CANNOT be corrupted by a failed read operation.

OK, lemme make something perfectly clear. I have occasionally had dropouts in audio, almost entirely from streaming sources, but I never said or intimated that the problem was with my WiFi setup. I stream Netflixs and have never had a glitch or a dropout of a screen freeze (Like I used to get with ADSL). My WiFi is 100% reliable as far as I know. The question I answered from Jud was: "Have you ever gotten dropouts in the music using wireless?" And my answer was yes, occasionally. No mention of where in the chain the dropouts have occurred was made.

George