IGNORED

Barriers to Computer Audio

I definitely understand the overwhelming nature of what you are facing. I felt the same when I came upon this site. It was very valuable. Of course there are about 4 times the options now as then. So it would be even worse.

I think one simplifying concept is to use the component system you mentioned. If you have or contemplate having a system you need all the same stuff as way back when. Computer audio can simply be one extra source. CD, LP, tape, and now computer. That simplifies it to some extent. In that case you need a computer (Mac Mini's are a lot of bang for the buck or a spare laptop will do). You need a receiver, or DAC that will take USB as an input. So you only need two things to get pretty high up on the quality scale and it is simple. There are few low cost or no cost pieces of software that work well. A bit of time with that and you are up and going quite well. It will take a modicum of effort on your part, but people here will help and you don't need to be an EE or computer nerd.

Now the other concept is doing things almost altogether different than the days of yore. That is highly confusing to someone new to it. You don't know the options, don't know how they interact or that one choice may close off another. There are ways of doing things you don't even understand why anyone would care to, until you experience it and have one of those Eureka moments. That will take quite a bit more effort on your part or simply placing yourself in someone else's hands after telling them your wants and your budget.

I understand your feelings in this situation, and it would help if it were easier. Like many things in the world of computers and software it is a bit too much of a moving target to make it totally simple.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.