IGNORED

Barriers to Computer Audio

In that case you need a computer (Mac Mini's are a lot of bang for the buck or a spare laptop will do). You need a receiver, or DAC that will take USB as an input.

Unless you use a Mac Mini or a cheap Laptop, you don't need a DAC with a USB input. Even with a Mac Mini there is a Toslink option.To really optimise USB audio from a Mac Mini or a laptop, you are on a slippery slope to spending heaps more money.

Besides which, with many DACs a mediocre performing generic USB input is added as more of an afterthought.

With a PC you can also use a good internal Sound Card with Coax SPDIF and Toslink out, or perhaps a Musiland Digital Times PCI S/PDIF card as a friend of mine has recently done, if you don't need DSD. Musiland Digital Times Soundcard PCI S Pdif Optical BNC | eBay

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

You can get great sound out of a PC or Mac with a USB DAC. I think there are hundreds of readers here doing just that.

Your idea of great sound doesn't appear to be shared by many other members!

There is now a whole cottage industry devoted to further improving the shortcomings of typically implemented USB audio.

There are now around 2,000 who have purchased Uptone USB Regens in an effort to try and make USB from a Mac Mini etc. far better. The vast majority of those are also using expensive aftermarket USB cables too, some even costing > $1,000 to further try and improve the typical lacklustre performance of USB audio , with probably well over 100 using Linear PSUs with their Mac Mini to try and reduce it's internal RF/EMI. The John Swenson designed fan controller PCB also helps to get rid of the RF/EMI radiated from the Mac Minis fan due to motherboard PWM control of it's speed using around 25kHz pulses with sharp rise and fall times. Many members have already spent well in excess of the original cost of their computer trying to make USB audio perform as it should, with quite a few still unable to equal or surpass the performance from a good CD player,

although they have gained far greater access to their music collection.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Compared to your whackadoole ideas about identical files sounding different when played identically?

Do you have to fill every thread with this noise?

I have as much right to post my replies which usually have a technical basis, as you apparently have to post your off topic posts about bicycles, religion and other generally snarky replies.

And there is at least 1 person here that believes they can hear the difference in bit identical files where one went through transcoding from wav / flac / wav / zipped up / unzipped only to have the same MD5 checksum at the end of the process that wouldn't take me up on my $1000 offer.

That's because your whole process was fatally flawed, and deliberately ignored my numerous previous posted reports about SQ degradation due to copying and moving of files due to inherent P.C. electrical noise. This was also discussed in TAS 220 and 221 by others.Your fatally flawed process would have resulted in a negative finding which is exactly what you were setting out to achieve.

I noticed that your clumsy attempts elsewhere, where you specifically registered as a member of that forum just to further pursue them, fell flat on their face too. Your motives are so transparent to many, and it has nothing to do with finding out the truth.

You are making it much too complicated for a newbie. Agree with the others, a good starting point is an existing computer and and good inexpensive USB DAC. That will give what 99% of people will think is great sound. The rest is for the obsessives like all of us regulars at this site. If the OP isn't satisfied with that sound, then he can move on to all the other stuff you are talking about.

It all depends on whether you wish to have a Computer specially for Audio or a general purpose PC.

I use a W8/64 PC because I am able to fit additional PC cards such as an Asus Xonar card for both playing and recording, as well as readily install additional SSDs or HDDs for internal storage, and readily fit additional RAM.

I have nothing but trouble using USB with external HDD storage such as a WD Elements, which is often not recognised , or disappears completely.

As I also use my P.C. for downloading Videos etc.I am also able to use a Video card such as this http://www.mwave.com.au/product/gigabyte-geforce-210-silent-1gb-video-card-aa77606?gclid=CKyz6duevMkCFVgRvQodPA4Msg#detailTabs=tabOverview

which uses CUDA technology to markedly improve processing times when using additional Filters.

This makes it easier to view downloaded /ripped video and audio through my TV and main listening system.

A cheap USB output computer could also be used with a good USB to SPDIF converter to avoid the need for expensive aftermarket USB cables, special PSUs etc. At present, most affordable DACs use cheap generic USB inputs added more as an afterthought.

What about an ethernet connection for external hard drive storage?

Personally, I would use eSATA (or a short as possible SATA lead as a friend has done) for this purpose, in conjunction with a good quality external PSU, not a cheap SMPS supply where only the +5V is well regulated, and the +12V can vary as much as 1 volt under different load conditions.

For now I would like to use the OPPO as my DAC until I conduct some additional research and buy a DAC for converting files to audio into the stereo system and for streaming from Pandora, internet radio, etc. Remaining questions include which type of connection should I use from the hard drive to the computer and from the computer to the OPPO or DAC to optimize the sound?

As you would like to keep using your Oppo95 as a DAC, you could export the data to the Oppo from an internal SSD/HDD using USB. However, many members have reported that using a USB Regen in line with a USB output results in a marked SQ improvement.

This has certainly been the case with my own Oppo 103, where I am also able to plug in a USB memory stick with files saved on it, into my Oppo 103 in my main listening area , where there is a further audible improvement when using the Regen there too.

OK, at least now I know what this is really about.

Jumping to conclusions as usual ?

That explains it. It's just that DragonFly DACs are so famous and have had so much press in the last 3-4 years that I was surprised (taken aback, actually) that anyone interested in audio enough to post to a forum called "Computer Audiophile" could have possibly been unaware of the AudioQuest DragonFly. It's famous because it's both very good and cheap.

Assuming that it doesn't step up the USB voltage to a higher voltage , it will always have limitations driving many types of headphones with differing impedances.

Many higher quality headphone amplifiers use supply rails as high as + and -20V.

What are the odds, that like most other USB Audio devices, that it will also further benefit from the use of a USB Regen in line with it ?

(I hadn't heard of it before either, but I am not a great fanboi of USB for Audio.

With my DAC the USB interface is actually better than optical or coax S/PDIF.

John S.

I presume that you are talking about your own DAC that you designed ?

With my DAC the USB interface is actually better than optical or coax S/PDIF.

In which case he wouldn't need to use his own Regen, unless he has done input modifications to this DAC.

Very few standard DACs using generic USB input modules are able to either equal or outperform well implemented Toslink or Coax SPDIF without at least using expensive after-market USB cables etc..

If they were, then there would be only a very small market for John's Regen.

I wonder if you put a REGEN or even an iFI Power in front of them, what the difference, if any, would be?

-Paul

Both the Oppo 95 and 103 improve markedly with a battery or Linear powered (+9V) Regen in line with their USB input.

Just to clarify... You mean a Regen used with a memory stick connected via the (type a rectangular) USB?

Yes.

I am presently unable to use USB direct from my PC tt the Oppo 103 using the Regen, as my PC isn't in the main listening room.

It seems to me that USB is to be avoided. So thats what I will be doing. Well I will get a DAC and try to test myself different connections to see which performs best. I know nothing beats that. And im no expert, so my money is on a non-usb connection. This is a excellent thread, and I hope that more big tests will be done to see which kind of soundchain from music-file to speakers is the best and best value for money.

If you don't need DSD or multichannel, you could try the inexpensive Musiland PCI card which has only Digital Outputs.

Musiland Digital Times 24Bit / 192KHz PCI Sound Card SPDIF Toslink BNC - Newegg.com

A friend reports excellent results when using this card, even when compared with USB using a friend's Regen, but he doesn't want the added complexity of additional bits and pieces.

Alex ... you don't happen to know if this is compatible with Linux do you?

Eloise

Unfortunately, a quick search suggests that it isn't compatible with Linux.

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

In case John doesn't notice your post.

John designed a special Linear PSU for the SBT that was posted in DIY Audio and elsewhere, I suspect that he would at least be using his improved PSU with it.