IGNORED

Barriers to Computer Audio

Don't overlook HDMI and an AV receiver. A small form factor PC such as a Lenovo Q190 with an external HD running JRiver Media Center connected to a moderately priced Denon or Marantz AVR via HDMI gives you a great sounding, practically out of the box setup with a lot of flexibility and control for around $600, not counting speakers which you likely already have.

It's also pretty simple to setup and keep running once you figure out a few JRiver user interface and configuration weirdnesses, which is worth the effort.

P.S. as for file formats, rip your CDs to FLAC format using JRiver. If you want higher resolution 24/96 etc. files you can easily purchase and download them from HDTracks.

Personally, 16/44.1 CD quality files are all I need, and the CDs are cheaper than hi-rez downloads. But I do get albums from HDTracks for convienience and instant gratification. Lately it's been about 50/50 CD rip v. HDTracks download.

My PC would likely be a dedicated music server and not generally used for other purposes. What about an ethernet connection for external hard drive storage? I'm not opposed to SSD if it's better for accessing files.

Why ethernet? It will require an OS on the file server, more expense, more complexity.

USB 3 would be more than sufficient with less drama.

Not sure why you would need SSD.

Unless you are going down the rabbit hole of $5000 DACs, exotic power supply mods, and $100 per foot ethernet and USB cables to make your bits "sound better" than normal bits.

In that case, wishing you fair seas and following winds on you journey. :)

P.S. whatever you decide, allow for redundant, including offsite, backups. And RAID is not backup. Unless someone else convinces you that a special cable or something is all you need.

Personally, I would use eSATA (or a short as possible SATA lead as a friend has done) for this purpose, in conjunction with a good quality external PSU, not a cheap SMPS supply where only the +5V is well regulated, and the +12V can vary as much as 1 volt under different load conditions.

Sorry, don't usually chime in on remarks like this because I generally don't care, but eSATA is pretty much obsolete.

(Unless you use the special zirconium encrusted phase shifting cables of course.)

rn701, seems like I read somewhere that an ethernet connection would access files more reliably than USB. I want to keep this as simple as possible, so if USB 3 will be sufficient then that works for me. I hope to spend less than $1,500 on a DAC, would go as high as $2,000 if the additional bang for the buck is worth it. I would also consider gently used equipment. A lot of audiophiles move from component to component in search of the holy grail. I'm just looking for great sound reproduction!

Cool.

Since you have listed your equipment, sounds like you have a pretty nice setup. Your AVR has HDMI inputs. If you already have a Windows PC/notebook with HDMI output you can accomplish audiophile "bit perfect" sound with nothing more than JRiver WASAPI output to HDMI for $50. I will stop beating the dead horse now, but I recommend you try that and see what you think. You can always spend thousands or tens of thousands more later on in search of the holy grail if that's your thing.

Good luck, and mainly, enjoy the music.