IGNORED

Barriers to Computer Audio

My 2 cents worth.

You need a storage device, any PC will work for this purpose

You need a digital music player, there are a number of free players that you can download.

That's it! You should be able to play your digital music using your PC and the speakers that are attached to it.

If you want to send the digital files to an outboard DAC ant into a stereo system then you may want to buy an outboard DAC that has digital as well as optical input. from there you get an analogue signal to send to any amp.

If you are decide to follow PC into stereo amp path you will need to buy a DAC to convert the digital music to an audio signal.

I started in much the same place as the OP, knowing that I had some learning to do. My first step at the recommendation of a trusted retailer, was to buy a quality DAC that would have input for Toslink and SPDIF input. That was my first step. I downloaded Foobar2000 (free) and played my files through the Toslink output on the PC into the DAC, then into the amp with audio interconnects. I was happy. Then I went looking for an audiophile sound card with Toslink output. Then I called Chris at CA and he suggested I look into a USB/SPDFIF converter as a link between my PC and my DAC, that's the path that I followed, using a USB/SPDIF converter in place of the Toslink opticable connection between the PC and the DAC.

My suggestion, find any PC with a Toslink output and load it with a free audio player (like Foobar). That should be enough to get the sound coming out of your PC speakers. Then, buy an outboard DAC that has an optical and digital input - from there you can send an analogue signal into any amp that you have. Doing this, you will have to purchase nothing more than an fiber optic cable and a DAC. Later, you can experiment with a USB/SPDIF converter as an alternative to Toslink, if you want. The DAC will always be useful in any configuration that you choose.

Just be patient, avoid buying a lot of gear all at once. Add one piece to your system at a time and evaluate the sound.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.