IGNORED

Don't have 88.2 khz sampling rate in my Mac mini audio midi control panel

I use a dac connected to the digital output of my 1.66 Mac mini

I could normally play 16/44 to 24/96 with the Behringer dac connected to the Mac mini. I can also select the 88.2 khz sampling rate with the dac.

As It doesn't lock well on 96khz sampling rate so I thought using 88.2 khz sampling rate with the Mac mini audio midi.

The audio midi control panel shows me 32 khz, 44.1 khz, 48 khz and 96 khz sampling rates, no 88.2 khz sampling rate. I know some mac mini users have the 88.2 khz sampling rate. How can I get this sampling rate with my Mac mini ?

I use OSX 10.5.8

Thanks

If you are using the optical digital output of the (current) Mac Mini, then the supported sample rates are 44.1, 48 and 96kHz at 16 or 24 bit. Some of the earlier Mac Minis had digital outputs which supported 88.2kHz but not the current one iirc. You can also get 88.2kHz via most FireWire connected DACs.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

My Mac mini is a dual core 1,66 ghz so this is not the latest version

My dac can be selected at 88.2 Khz in the front panel but the Mac mini doesn't recognize this sampling frequency even if it is selected on the dac.

So 88,2 khz frequency would be only available on the Mac with USB or FW dacs ?

What model is your DAC?

Usually a DAC will just sync to the incoming rate, rather than you having to specifically set it.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have the exact same Mini. Eloise is correct, it does NOT support 88.2 KHz samplerate via the optical output. I don't know if that is a hardware or OS-X (software) implementation issue and/or if there are fixes for this...?

Mind that your MacMini is the source and via optical cannot 'lock on to' or 'recognize' any setting on your DAC. That is not the way it works (generally). The DAC should lock on to the source (generally). Since the MacMini does not support 88.2 via optical, you can't play it via optical, no matter what your DAC is expecting. Only way to do things the other way around is slaving a source to a DAC using word-clock link. That is another matter and the Mini does not facilitate the required clock-input for that..

You can play 88.2 via firewire. Also, your Mac is likely to be of the popular and compatible FW400 generation (mine is), which forfeit any compatibility issues of FW800 (if any). You will require a FW DAC or FW interface to SPDIF. There is LOADS of stuff on that on this forum...

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

• 2 years later...