IGNORED

Article: Naim Audio Mu-so Review

They lost me on their opening remarks and trying to sell the 1950's family listening experience of yesterday. Fact is that music has become more fractured into so many different genres, thus listening groups, that it is impossible in my experience to expect others to enjoy a musical experience with my choices, regardless of audiophile detail. It would be like going back to 3 television stations in which we all watch the same. Back to the man cave where I can listen to what I want in detail and bliss.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Excellent review! I am a huge fan of products designed to be more modern and family friendly than the traditional HiFi fare. It's great to have a private setup in the man-cave, but it is also equally fun to have a product you can just enjoy with the family and still have great sound quality.

They lost me on their opening remarks and trying to sell the 1950's family listening experience of yesterday.

Who is the "they" you are commenting on here... The remarks about listening are surely Chris'?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"the Mu-so will literally be priceless"

Priceless? really? You would not sell it for a two thousand dollars? a million dollars?

You can buy mine for a million dollars... Then I can buy several for my family and friends :-)

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I'm confused. What is it?

It's an all in one UPnP streamer, music player HiFi.

Or if you're feeling uncharitable it's a speaker dock or sound bar...

Eloise

---

Now it seems to me like....if it SOUNDS really good...then it has solved nearly every issue on this site!!! (Grin) it plays the "High Def" source stuff that everyone is always arguing about.... while streaming (or being streamed to) It appears to have clean crisp (& range of depth) amplification (solving the war of which amp is best)....It also appears to have high quality speakers AND IT SOLVES the myriad of connection issues that require the various and sundry filters and converters banded about on here there by prohibiting the molestation of the processing/transferring/conversion of the digital/analog interface. Viola the flying car we have all been promised !!! (To quote Jud!!) Am i missing something here? I want one of these things !!

Now it seems to me like....if it SOUNDS really good...then it has solved nearly every issue on this site!!! (Grin) it plays the "High Def" source stuff that everyone is always arguing about.... while streaming (or being streamed to) It appears to have clean crisp (& range of depth) amplification (solving the war of which amp is best)....It also appears to have high quality speakers AND IT SOLVES the myriad of connection issues that require the various and sundry filters and converters banded about on here there by prohibiting the molestation of the processing/transferring/conversion of the digital/analog interface. Viola the flying car we have all been promised !!! (To quote Jud!!) Am i missing something here? I want one of these things !!

I think the problem is that "sounds real good" is not enough for the typical audiophile. They will nitpick about whether you get a wider soundstage with two separate speakers etc and dismiss the MuSo as a lifestyle product.

This looks awesome and would be perfect to carry out to the deck, garage, or bedroom. Hope it goes loud enough for the backyard. I need to hit my local Naim dealer and see if he has one for a listen.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Interesting, I like the aesthetics of it but I scratch my head about the concept. It kind of functions like a glorified table radio, like a solution looking for a problem, and it is in a sort of a no-mans land market wise, not positioned as either low end or high end.

I see it as being aimed at persons looking for good quality sound in a stylish, compact and convenient package. I'd imagine it falls in the dreaded mid-fi category that gets applied to most affordable HiFi.

I see it as being aimed at persons looking for good quality sound in a stylish, compact and convenient package. I'd imagine it falls in the dreaded mid-fi category that gets applied to most affordable HiFi.

OK, so can we call this a dud and wait for version 2.0 maybe with separate speakers?

As I go back to my Audioengine HD6........

Jim

OK, so can we call this a dud and wait for version 2.0 maybe with separate speakers?

No. Version 1.0 was the UnitiQute this *IS* version 2.0.

It won't suit most people who visit this site; but it's designed for those people who don't have their head in their ass and don't write things off because it doesn't fit with their narrow view of huge speakers in front of a single chair as being the only way to listen to music!

Eloise

---

Nope. I'm under the impression that it is selling well and has achieved quite a decent fan following. So you not liking it doesn't make it a dud.

Who is the "they" you are commenting on here... The remarks about listening are surely Chris'?

Whoops, I thought maybe Chris employed ghost writers. My bad.

It won't suit most people who visit this site; but it's designed for those people who don't have their head in their ass and don't write things off because it doesn't fit with their narrow view of huge speakers in front of a single chair as being the only way to listen to music!

LMAO

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

LOL. Sounds about right. It's really not aimed at your typical audiophile.

LOL. Sounds about right. It's really not aimed at your typical audiophile.

Not aimed at your stereotypical audiophile :~)

Nope. I'm under the impression that it is selling well and has achieved quite a decent fan following. So you not liking it doesn't make it a dud.

It's selling very well. Any product that's expanding into more Apple stores is doing well.

I agree with much of your comment Eloise. But, it will suit most people who visit CA. It's only a small number of those who comment here that it won't suit. Imagine a few football stadiums filled with readers of this site. This represents the monthly unique readers. Now imagine that a few people stood up and said they didn't like the product. I would count this as an insignificant number (not to be read as insignificant people, just the number of people). I know many readers who visit CA and don't comment. This product would suit them well. In fact, I've called some of them and talked to them about the Mu-so because it has made such a difference in my listening life.

I think reviews should answer this question in the first paragraph.

No worries. We all have expectations and viewpoints. I disagree with yours, but without disagreements the Internet would be finished :~)

I wouldn't give that Tidal App remote to your daughter when she can read unless you want to answer the question --Daddy, what does it mean "Bitch Better Have My Money". What a sad mess Tidal has become. I dumped it for one of the others.

Tidal has only gotten better over the months. The only thing that has changed from the WiMP / early Tidal days, is the front page recommended music and recommended playlists. They moved form obscure Norwegian artists to famous R&B and Hip Hop artists. Big deal. I never used the recommendations anyway.

This review/advertisement left me with no idea what the product sounds like. Most reviews on this site are fairly superficial regarding sound quality, but this one seems to go farther down that road than usual, spending more time on the antenna than sound.

It's a bummer you think the reviews on CA are superficial when it comes to sound quality. The reviews that I write have varying amounts of sound quality discussion. I don't have a formula for writing. I like to be creative and write what comes out of me, whether that's form my head of my heart. I simply hope that enough people like my varying style. Tying to please everybody = pleasing nobody, and that's OK with me.

I am a bit frustrated you called this a "review/advertisement." Not frustrated because I disagree with you, I'm cool with all opinions on CA, but frustrated because you actually thought it read like an advertisement. Oh well, I wrote this with 100% honesty and I think it reads different from many of my other reviews (in a good way). No hard feelings.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I agree with much of your comment Eloise. But, it will suit most people who visit CA. It's only a small number of those who comment here that it won't suit. [...snip...] I know many readers who visit CA and don't comment. This product would suit them well. In fact, I've called some of them and talked to them about the Mu-so because it has made such a difference in my listening life.

You're right... It's interesting (with specific reference to the MuSo) how people's opinions on the Naim forum changed... Most (of those posting) dismissed it when Naim first launched it, only for many to slowly change over time. And these are die hard "audiophiles".

Products like this, the Devialet and Naim NAC-N 272 are where audio is heading, reducing boxes and increasing "convinience" while at the same time keeping a high quality sound.

Eloise

---