IGNORED

Coldplay in 192/24

HDTracks has the 192/24 at its usual, outrageous price of USD 24.99 (USD 17.99 for 96/24).

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Nice to see a major act release in 192/24, *coughs* Adele. Available on Qobuz at €13.49. Let's hope it's not crushed to death!

I will be shocked if it isn't. Everything else they've released in the last few years has been compressed to death, including hi-res.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I will be shocked if it isn't. Everything else they've released in the last few years has been compressed to death, including hi-res.

Yes, that's true. When it comes to the sonics, it's Garbage In Garbage Out with Coldplay I'm afraid. It's one discography where I can't see any point shelling out extra money for high-res.

Yeah, this might be the reason why highresaudio.com has added

Zur Info: wir bieten dieses Album in der nativen Abtastrate von 48 kHz, 24-Bit an. Die uns zur Verfügung gestellte 96 und 192 kHz-Version wurde hochgerechnet und bietet keinen hörbaren Mehrwert!

"For your info: we offer this album in native 48/24 resolution. The 96k and 192k version offered to us is up-sampled and offers no audible benefit."

https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=500697

Chapeau for these clear words !

Thank you HRA.

You have to love the folks at Highresaudio. They don't sell the new verve remasters of the Oscar Peterson Trio at 24/192 as they advise that after listening, they don't sound any better than the 24/96 version that they do sell. Refreshing that they don't see the need to take every last buck they can from you. It would be great if they all felt that way or at least listened to what they got in for sale.

I bought the 24/192 from Qobuz, and the dynamic range is a joke:

foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2015-12-04 21:17:38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Coldplay / A Head Full Of Dreams (192kHz/24bit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR4 0.00 dB -6.18 dB 3:44 01-A Head Full Of Dreams

DR4 0.00 dB -5.37 dB 3:49 02-Birds

DR5 0.00 dB -7.48 dB 4:19 03-Hymn For The Weekend

DR5 0.00 dB -6.78 dB 4:43 04-Everglow

DR5 0.00 dB -5.89 dB 4:24 05-Adventure Of A Lifetime

DR5 0.00 dB -6.94 dB 4:28 06-Fun (feat. Tove Lo)

DR7 -4.36 dB -14.46 dB 1:52 07-Kaleidoscope

DR4 0.00 dB -6.25 dB 6:17 08-Army Of One

DR5 0.00 dB -6.24 dB 4:31 09-Amazing Day

DR10 -3.72 dB -20.45 dB 1:00 10-Colour Spectrum

DR4 0.00 dB -6.84 dB 6:45 11-Up&Up

Number of tracks: 11

Official DR value: DR5

Samplerate: 192000 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 4960 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

I very much doubt high-res brings any benefit to this album. My advice would be to get the redbook. By the way, I find it good-quality pop rock, not on a par with Mylo Xyloto or Viva la Vida, but as interesting as Ghost Stories (though very different: a Head Full of Dreams is more pure-pop-oriented, when Ghost Stories had a stronger flavour of electro-pop), and definitely better to me than their first albums (I am not very fond of indie rock).

You have to love the folks at Highresaudio. They don't sell the new verve remasters of the Oscar Peterson Trio at 24/192 as they advise that after listening, they don't sound any better than the 24/96 version that they do sell. Refreshing that they don't see the need to take every last buck they can from you. It would be great if they all felt that way or at least listened to what they got in for sale.

Hey Joe, this attitude is exactly what I am missing with all the folks from various streaming or download platforms who claim "they care about music" ...

At least the guys at HRA are honest music lovers like us!

Prices at HRA tend to be high (usually) but I'm going to buy more from them because they are repeatedly informing us when higher res and more expensive versions of an album aren't worthwhile. They deserve some business for their approach.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

To be fair to Qobuz, if you buy the Hi-Res version of an album they do offer a variety of lower resolutions which you can download at no extra cost if you want.

In the case of the new Coldplay album I can confirm that there´s hardly any audible difference between the 24/192 and 16/44. Oh well....

As regards HRA I was interested to read the comments above - so I had a browse of their website and the first thing I saw was Fleetwood Mac / Tusk offered at 24/96.

Surely not.....!

To be fair to Qobuz, if you buy the Hi-Res version of an album they do offer a variety of lower resolutions which you can download at no extra cost if you want.

In the case of the new Coldplay album I can confirm that there´s hardly any audible differenc

e between the 24/192 and 16/44. Oh well....

As regards HRA I was interested to read the comments above - so I had a browse of their website and the first thing I saw was Fleetwood

Mac / Tusk offered at 24/96.

Surely not.....!

If its sourced from the master tape, why not? I have a 24 96 rip of a FWM DVD rip, and it sonnds great.

"A Head Full of Dreams" is their weakest album so far IMO.

De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum, but my preference is very different: while it is horrible soundwise, this album is among Coldplay's top three. My personal ranking is:

1. Mylo Xyloto
  2. Viva la Vida
  3. A Head Full of Dreams
  4. Ghost Stories (A Sky Full of Stars is a really great song IMO)
  5. X&Y
  6. A Rush of Blood ro the Head
  7. Parachutes (the lack of AutoTune is really painful to my ears on this album - AutoTune is one of the best things that happened to pop music in a long time)

I think A Rush of Blood to the Head is a masterpiece and one I would love to have in native 192/24 without volume compression! I think this is one of the best pop/rock albums of the 21st Century.

Next I would have Viva la Vida, Parachutes and Mylo Xyloto. Good albums.

Then A Head Full of Dreams and lastly Ghost Stories and X&Y which despite maybe one good track each are awful albums.