IGNORED

The new SOtM music server is Wins based!!? What do think?

In general sense, most Windows OS based servers provide lower sound quality in comparison with Linux OS based server but the diversified compatibility and program support, user friendly operation and such convenience functions have been attracted to secure wide popularity of Windows OS based servers.

First, in order to enhance the weak of sound quality on Windows OS, the Audiophile Optimizer gaining popular favor from worldwide audiophiles is installed as a basic standard feature to secure the sound quality equivalent to Linux OS.

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-1000sq-windows-edition/

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

The "better sounding OS" is a matter of debate - IME, audiophile setup of Windows can eliminate SQ advantages of Linux, even without AO.

I think SOtM is being smart; using Windows gives users lots more flexibility and is more user friendly for those that aren't "geeks".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

In general sense, most Windows OS based servers provide lower sound quality in comparison with Linux OS based server but the diversified compatibility and program support, user friendly operation and such convenience functions have been attracted to secure wide popularity of Windows OS based servers.

You are aware that Naim and Linn have been using Windows as the basis for all their streaming equipement, right? Can't really say that a GBP 20,000 Naim NDS sounds bad....

It's all about drivers and keeping the OS lean and quiet. And Linux has as many and as few opportunities for that as Windows. The reality is that neither OS is optimised for audio play back. The only thing Linux has going for it over Windows is the accessibility because it is open source.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

You are aware that Naim and Linn have been using Windows as the basis for all their streaming equipement, right? Can't really say that a GBP 20,000 Naim NDS sounds bad....

It's all about drivers and keeping the OS lean and quiet. And Linux has as many and as few opportunities for that as Windows. The reality is that neither OS is optimised for audio play back. The only thing Linux has going for it over Windows is the accessibility because it is open source.

Yes. I gree wtih you Pepsican. But No! That is not my opinion (those text on original posted.) I copied it from SOtM website.

Just wondered why SOtM described their products like that.

They should skip this issue and just let thier customer choose the one they feel happy to live with.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

Yes. I gree wtih you Pepsican. But No! That is not my opinion (those text on original posted.) I copied it from SOtM website.

Just wondered why SOtM described their products like that.

They should skip this issue and just let thier customer choose the one they feel happy to live with.

Don't forget that they're a Korean company and their English is not their first language. Also, it is a corporate site. Expect bias.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

nonetheless I can understand what they are trying to say.. since I'm also not an native English.... ;)

seems their description has been little bit modified, maybe one of CA readers helped them as a proof reader..

I think they tried to tell us as they intented to say. It's not kind of misunderstanding.

Because of what they mentioned is about Wins + AO SQ = LINUX SQ.

So.. For me, i will keep using Wins 2012r2 because it is something i get use to.

I think they tried to tell us as they intented to say. It's not kind of misunderstanding.

Because of what they mentioned is about Wins + AO SQ = LINUX SQ.

So.. For me, i will keep using Wins 2012r2 because it is something i get use to.

And that is the thing. In determining the quality of a device, there are so many variables that even if one OS was better than an another OS, you could probably compensate elsewhere by tweaking other variables.You use Win2012 because you are familiar with it. I use Linux because it is free and I wanted to learn it. In neither case did we pick it because it is superior musically.