IGNORED

Hegel HD30 Thoughts?

I happened on it by chance with the Hegel H360 trying to understand the function of DAC+. Last night I tried it with the HD30 connected to the H360. The H360 stayed on the balanced function and the HD30 displayed the sampling frequency.

How good is the onboard dac of the h360? What technical and listening reasons would one add the hd30?

I'm currently considering new amps and dacs. Was thinking to get a 360 for the benefit of the onboard dac. I am hoping that I won't need to buy another dac if I get the 360. Or would it be better to get the hd25 and pair it with a good amplifier.

Thanks

How good is the onboard dac of the h360? What technical and listening reasons would one add the hd30?

I'm currently considering new amps and dacs. Was thinking to get a 360 for the benefit of the onboard dac. I am hoping that I won't need to buy another dac if I get the 360. Or would it be better to get the hd25 and pair it with a good amplifier.

Thanks

The H360 has a good DAC, competitive with DACs in the $500-$1500 range; the HD30 has an excellent DAC, IMO one of the best under $10K, and better than more famous DACs like the DirectStream, and Lampizators - again, my opinion, from my auditioning, and my taste. At the very least it is competitive with such DACs.

The HD30 has a preamp function with digital volume. It sounds good. However, I've heard the HD30 used as the pre into a H360 and just as a DAC into the H360 (with H360 acting as full integrated, and HD30 just as DAC, bypassing internal volume). Not a question that using the H360 also as pre improves the sound, as it includes a high level analog pre.

If you didn't make the comparison, you wouldn't think you are missing anything using the HD30 as a pre. Only when you compare it with an excellent preamp do you hear the difference. On the other hand, if budget is limited, etc., the HD30 on it's own is excellent. You have to spend quite a bit of money to beat it's pre - it's good, but not great.

I haven't compared the DAC in the H360 to the HD25. I'd guess performance is close. A Hegel dealer or Hegel themselves could tell you. A good dealer won't lie about it.

In any case, if you buy the H360 alone you might be perfectly happy. It sounds really good. Unless you want a really high end DAC it will be fine. The H360 would be worth it's price even without the internal DAC. The internal DAC might be all you need. And, you can always add-on a DAC in the future if you decide you want more (and anyway DACs keep getting cheaper - better sound at lower prices).

And the H360 is a killer amp for the price. Again, you'd have to spend lots more to beat it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)