IGNORED

Back Wall loving speakers

I own a pair of Monitor Audio RX 6 speakers. They're placed about 1 foot from the back wall and 4 feet from the side walls. My room measures about 17 x 16 feet with a 10 foot high ceiling. I was more than satisfied with their sound until I upgraded my amp and DAC. Don't get me wrong, the speakers are allowing me to hear more than I've heard in the past from my music. But I feel I need speakers that will allow me to hear the improvements even more in the upgraded amp and DAC. I would like recommendations for speakers that can be placed 1 - 2 feet from the back wall and still sound awesome and image well. On my list are the:

1. LSA 2.1 Statement Edition

2. Focal Aria 948

3. Golden Ear Triton 2

4. Monitor Audio Platinum 300

5. Thiel CS 2.7

I'd appreciate opinions on these speakers and others known not to be intimidated by the back wall.

What do you like and dislike about your current speakers?

Are there any specific problems you wish to address?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Sorry, I was describing back and front wall from the speakers standpoint, not mine. And the RX 6's are nice, very nice when turned up and they image fairly well when the recording is well done. But I want a speaker whose clarity I can enjoy at lower volumes and that has pinpoint imaging.

Sorry, I was describing back and front wall from the speakers standpoint, not mine.

So the speaker to your left, you call the "right speaker"? :) Sorry, couldn't resist how far you take this speaker perspective thing.

Although one cannot argue with physical laws, there are speaker designs (like corner loaded horns for example) that require front wall coupling and might do you good. Speakers like any front-ported ones have a better chance than rear-ports, of course. Dynaudio makes some great speakers that are comfortable near the front wall. There was a Danish designed set at RMAF a couple years ago that demo'd flush against the front wall..can't remember their name..Genum or something.

Sorry, I was describing back and front wall from the speakers standpoint, not mine.

This is also the way I describe my room walls...back wall = wall that sits at speaker's back.

And the RX 6's are nice, very nice when turned up and they image fairly well when the recording is well done. But I want a speaker whose clarity I can enjoy at lower volumes and that has pinpoint imaging.

For pinpoint imaging you should aim your speakers at the listening spot (somewhere close to the shoulder that is nearest to the speaker).

But note that this will reduce the "3D-ness" or "soundstage" effect somewhat.

In my experience, "clarity" at lower volumes is more dependent on the electronics than on speakers that perform at the level of your MAs.

One might obtain an impression of increased "clarity" by using speakers that have "problems" in tonal balance but I wouldn't recommend following that path.

R

I have screwed my first gen Stradas into timber posts (that are themselves screwed into my brick walls).

I did experiment briefly with them a good mere or so into the room to gauge whether it improved soundstage depth. I think it might have, but didn't notice much of a difference. (Wasn't completely sure they did).

Despite this, I'm still able to get a cavernous depth on some recordings (notably Colorazione - track 3 from 2L's Nordic Sound, 2009). Which is not to suggest it couldn't be improved on, but it's one I'm pretty happy with.

As for low level listening, I'd say there may well be better options out there. But after getting these vintage 450W monos, they're pretty damn engaging at very low levels (far less so with my old 65W Burson).

I listen just 2.5 from the wall/speakers. They're only about 2.2m apart, just 0.4m from each side wall.

Reviews suggest the second gen Stradas are better.

Hope you find something you like ?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

No offense, but aren't you describing the FRONT wall, not the back wall? What do you call the wall behind you?

Ted, you are so right on target, and it is a pet peeve of mine. Front, back, what's the difference? Only 180 degrees. It shows up in published reviews in the big time magazines all the time. I even wrote to Bob Harley at TAS about it, since he, as Editor, should fix these things. His response was a big shrug of the shoulders, which is why the confusion continues to reappear in his mag, inconsistently from one review to the next. Front, back? They are the same, aren't they? Actually, no, they are not.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... As always, it is up to the user and it can make a difference in how the speakers sound - close or far from the FRONT wall. Some speakers are designed for close or far or right up against. I would never put a speaker with a rear bass port too close to a wall. Nor, would I ever position my electrostatic dipole hybrids closer than than about 5 ft. from the FRONT wall.

But, if you really want to know what is going on, you make measurements. And, if you want to fix the ugly measured results you will get in most any room regardless of speaker position, you apply DSP EQ. I think that is much more important than limiting yourself to just cures via speaker positioning, which only go so far.

Two more:

The Clue speaker recommends near wall:

Sjöfn HiFi (the clue) loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

The Audionotes I heard at Axpona were almost corner-loaded, but not horns.

I own a pair of Monitor Audio RX 6 speakers. They're placed about 1 foot from the back wall and 4 feet from the side walls. My room measures about 17 x 16 feet with a 10 foot high ceiling. I was more than satisfied with their sound until I upgraded my amp and DAC. Don't get me wrong, the speakers are allowing me to hear more than I've heard in the past from my music. But I feel I need speakers that will allow me to hear the improvements even more in the upgraded amp and DAC. I would like recommendations for speakers that can be placed 1 - 2 feet from the back wall and still sound awesome and image well. On my list are the:

1. LSA 2.1 Statement Edition

2. Focal Aria 948

3. Golden Ear Triton 2

4. Monitor Audio Platinum 300

5. Thiel CS 2.7

I'd appreciate opinions on these speakers and others known not to be intimidated by the back wall.

Any sealed box speaker should deal with close spacing to the wall. I have my Thiel 3.5 about 1' out in the room.

The Direct Acoustic Silent II with the radiation pattern work well close to the wall. The wall really couples the bass.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Two more:

The Clue speaker recommends near wall:

Sjöfn HiFi (the clue) loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

The Audionotes I heard at Axpona were almost corner-loaded, but not horns.

The speakers' measurements aren't very promising, quite the contrary to be honest...I would give them a pass.

R

The speakers' measurements aren't very promising, quite the contrary to be honest...I would give them a pass.

R

Yeah, my ears are entirely over-rated. Specs are where its at.

If looking for speakers which can have their backs close to the wall; I like PMC and use them in a similar situation. If you are interested in second hand then the older Naim designs were built to sit right against a wall.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

So in evaluating these speaker suggestions I see some are 2 way while others have multiple drivers. I've read that sometimes with more than 2 drivers it can be a bit difficult to make smooth transitions between the drivers and sometimes you can hear a definite crossover point. I'd appreciate opinions on which you've found to perform better. And I've noticed some very expensive bookshelf speakers and have always wondered how a small bookshelf could ever compete with floor standers. I'm ready to be enlightened.

Any sealed box speaker should deal with close spacing to the wall. I have my Thiel 3.5 about 1' out in the room.

The Direct Acoustic Silent II with the radiation pattern work well close to the wall. The wall really couples the bass.

Indeed, if you're interested in the Direct Acoustic Silent II, take a look at John Mark's write up in Stereophile. Especially consider his remarks about his experience with finding a good match for amplification.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

So in evaluating these speaker suggestions I see some are 2 way while others have multiple drivers. I've read that sometimes with more than 2 drivers it can be a bit difficult to make smooth transitions between the drivers and sometimes you can hear a definite crossover point. I'd appreciate opinions on which you've found to perform better. And I've noticed some very expensive bookshelf speakers and have always wondered how a small bookshelf could ever compete with floor standers. I'm ready to be enlightened.

There are no hard rules. Used full Rangers for years. Not against wall though.

Using a floor standing 3 way with a sub, an overall 4 way. Before that large active 3 way stand mounts with sub. This was concert level sound pressure levels.

Do not limit your options to one or two speaker types. There are great two ways, 3 ways, and even 4 ways.

One of the selling points for multi-ways is a dedicated midrange driver. Getting the midrange right is critical.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.