IGNORED

PlayClassics test files to compare file formats

So, here is a question. How would those results have differed if (if at all) if my hearing range was closer to, say, 15khz? Is there any correlation?

If you had that hearing range *and if* you had a particularly quiet system and room *and if* you had a great deal of experience listening to filters, you might discern either or both the slight Protools aliasing or the slightly lower overall energy at high frequencies. The latter (overall frequency balance) I think takes a high degree of training/expertise to hear, particularly in the upper frequencies where hearing is less sensitive if we can hear at all.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If you had that hearing range *and if* you had a particularly quiet system and room *and if* you had a great deal of experience listening to filters, you might discern either or both the slight Protools aliasing or the slightly lower overall energy at high frequencies. The latter (overall frequency balance) I think takes a high degree of training/expertise to hear, particularly in the upper frequencies where hearing is less sensitive if we can hear at all.

Lots of IF's, plus the big one you missed. IF the listener isn't being fooled into thinking he's hearing a difference do to expectation bias or some related illusion.

Mainly the subject lacks just about any relevancy in the real world. Only one in about 10 million have the tools to hear the difference if it does exist and even less would ever care.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I don't have any of those arrows in the quiver. From here on, I will probably put more effort into finding well recorded music and stop worrying about chasing magic in 24/192. And speakers, yeah, that's it! I need new speakers!

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I don't have any of those arrows in the quiver. From here on, I will probably put more effort into finding well recorded music and stop worrying about chasing magic in 24/192. And speakers, yeah, that's it! I need new speakers!

That's the best decision you could make. I'll normally only buy 24/96 if like Mario's they came from a 24/96 or better original master. I've purchased maybe a dozen or so total out of the thousands of albums in my collection. There's nothing to be gained by putting a analog master into a big digital bit bucket, well mastered CD's are just fine for that.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

So, here is a question. How would those results have differed if (if at all) if my hearing range was closer to, say, 15khz? Is there any correlation?

Not with Mario's recordings, as they have little information at 15kHz (and even that is very low in level).

Here's the spectrogram of the Flamenco:

2u599ar.png

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Edit: Sorry, I forgot above to include the very few studios like Blue Coast, which edit in analog rather than converting to PCM.

Is this analogue editing done before A/D conversion?

I haven't listened to the samples but judging from these photos their studios don't look like a place I would choose to record music.

ac7a8l.jpg

5ls6k4.jpg

Even if they use the "best" equipment and practices (although I wouldn't call close-mic'ing a "good" let alone "best" practice), their recordings can never sound as "good" as PlayClassics'.

R

I do have a good ear even at the age of 68.

That's the best decision you could make. I'll normally only buy 24/96 if like Mario's they came from a 24/96 or better original master. I've purchased maybe a dozen or so total out of the thousands of albums in my collection. There's nothing to be gained by putting a analog master into a big digital bit bucket, well mastered CD's are just fine for that.

Except that I've found lots of cases where the hi-res remaster is the best souding one around, even when the master is tape.

And the CDs aren't available where I live, so I'd rather download than order online and pay for shipping of CDs, even if the total CD costs a bit less.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Except that I've found lots of cases where the hi-res remaster is the best sounding one around, even when the master is tape...

I agree with this. Older analog tapes do often have audible artifacts due to their age, however I find the hi-res remasters often sound more analog like, thus more like what I remember my prerecorded 7½ IPS reel to reel tapes sounding like.

On the other hand, DSD and hi-res PCM downloads from modern new analog recordings such as those from Opus 3, Blue Coast, Tacet and others I would put up against any digital recording no matter how high the resolution.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I haven't listened to the samples but judging from these photos their studios don't look like a place I would choose to record music.

If you haven't listened, you are not really in a position to judge the sound quality of their recordings, are you?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I think it depends what kind of music you listen to.

I have hundreds of classic Jazz albums from the Analog Age where the high definition version kicks the crap out of all available CD versions. The recent high def releases of Kind of Blue (both PCM and SACD) and the ongoing 24/192 Blue Note reissues are just a few examples.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Except that I've found lots of cases where the hi-res remaster is the best souding one around, even when the master is tape.

And the CDs aren't available where I live, so I'd rather download than order online and pay for shipping of CDs, even if the total CD costs a bit less.

I think it depends what kind of music you listen to.

I have hundreds of classic Jazz albums from the Analog Age where the high definition version kicks the crap out of all available CD versions. The recent high def releases of Kind of Blue (both PCM and SACD) and the ongoing 24/192 Blue Note reissues are just a few examples.

There's always lots of exceptions to everything. When the original recording has been remastered before the hirez release all bets are out the window. Some remasters are brilliant, others have been done with commercial concerns only and have a DR7 dynamic and are bright enough to burn your ears off. :(

Then you can only either read the reviews or roll the dice and purchase the release.

It's hard not to genealize too much without writing a whole book on the subject

If you haven't listened, you are not really in a position to judge the sound quality of their recordings, are you?

Sure, let's be fair to people who judges with their ears, here's the links he didn't provide :

Special Event 37 - Jenna Mammina & Rolf Sturm

Jenna%20Mammina%20%26%20Rolf%20Sturm%20-%20Special%20Event%2037%20-%20Cover.jpg

Special Event 6 - Garett Brennan

s006-01.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Artists are often far more varied and inclusive than fans, especially fussy ones like audiophiles. Mark Knopfler bounces most if not all the songs from analog to digital on albums very well thought of by audiophiles and producers.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I can only make general considerations based in my listening experience and a little common sense, but any audiophile knows the importance of room acoustics.

Unfortunately the theme of mic'ing is not very discussed, despite its extreme importance.

R

Artists are often far more varied and inclusive than fans, especially fussy ones like audiophiles. Mark Knopfler bounces most if not all the songs from analog to digital on albums very well thought of by audiophiles and producers.

Here we are discussing ways to reduce the number of up/oversampling and filtering steps and the studios are bumping the signal about with little worry... :)

R

I can only make general considerations based in my listening experience and a little common sense, but any audiophile knows the importance of room acoustics.

Unfortunately the theme of mic'ing is not very discussed, despite its extreme importance.

IOW, you are merely speculating and have no real evidence to back up your 'judgment', something that could easily be confirmed or dispelled by actually listening. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

IOW, you are merely speculating and have no real evidence to back up your 'judgment', something that could easily be confirmed or dispelled by actually listening. :)

This is what I said/wrote:

Even if they use the "best" equipment and practices (although I wouldn't call close-mic'ing a "good" let alone "best" practice), their recordings can never sound as "good" as PlayClassics'.

I don't really want to have to sign up for free downloads but I might only to prove my point (although you will still disagree).

The room or rooms shown in the pictures are obviously not adequate for recording and close mic'ing (whilst useful for "disguising" some of the room's problems) places the mic much closer than anyone would listen.

Such recording setup might sound "nice" for rock/pop standards but is far from being able to achieve the results that Mario is getting with his.

R

The room or rooms shown in the pictures are obviously not adequate for recording and close mic'ing (whilst useful for "disguising" some of the room's problems) places the mic much closer than anyone would listen.

For all we know, the photos could be from a setup for the recording of a 'live' performance outside the studio. Those who are familiar with Blue Coast recordings can attest to the outstanding sound quality that Cookie Marenco produces. IMO, comparisons to Mario's results are of little importance in that regard.

"The proof is in the pudding".

This is what I said/wrote:

I don't really want to have to sign up for free downloads but I might only to prove my point (although you will still disagree).

Such recording setup might sound "nice" for rock/pop standards but is far from being able to achieve the results that Mario is getting with his.

R

I very much enjoy Cookie's production as well as Mario's, though I recognize other people will have their own likes and dislikes. Each emphasizes different aspects of production: Mario would not mike or set up a room as Cookie does; Cookie would not (normally) record to PCM as Mario does.

I very much enjoy Cookie's production as well as Mario's, though I recognize other people will have their own likes and dislikes. Each emphasizes different aspects of production: Mario would not mike or set up a room as Cookie does; Cookie would not (normally) record to PCM as Mario does.

As Barry Diament has posted on more than one occasion, mike setup is an artistic decision made by the producer and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' setup. Choice of recording format is also an artistic decision. Barry and Mario record in PCM. Cookie's preferred format is DSD. Again,

"The proof is in the pudding".

Lots of people running their yaps and posting pictures on stuff having nothing to do with Mario's reason for the thread. You got no reason even posting here if you haven't at least downloaded the files and tried to participate in the poll. :(

Lots of people running their yaps and posting pictures on stuff having nothing to do with Mario's reason for the thread. You got no reason even posting here if you haven't at least downloaded the files and tried to participate in the poll. :(

If these tasteless "yapping" comments are directed at me, they're completely off mark for I was the first to comment on the differences I have or have not heard between the files.

I didn't download the sample files from Blue Coast though because you're obliged to register to do so and I am getting enough spam as it is.

I had never heard of Blue Coast before and after seeing it mentioned here I surfed a bit around their website.

To finalise, I don't think that comparing Mario's work with that of others is out of the scope of this topic.

R