IGNORED

eClassical Christmas Calendar 2015

I know that — they use SACD media mostly for 5.1. But the thing is that the sampling rate diverge from eclassical/prestoclassical.

Yes, there is no debating that BIS SACDs are mostly sourced from PCM:

DSD (pre-2005, only nine of them)

24-44 (a majority, till sometime in 2010 I think)

24-88 (not sure of the timeframe) and

24-96 (2010+)

They sound good, though, as SACDs, but when you have the chance to buy the originals, why not.

The real issue Rodaguilera is trying to make is that sites like Presto Classical seem to offer non-original sample rates as downloads (same is true for their offerings of DSD labels like Pentatone), and in this case a higher rate than BIS's own original PCM files. It's those kinds of sites that make this hirez buying very confusing. Net/net, I would go with BIS's own native PCM files (eclassical is owned by BIS, basically) even though they are a lower sample rate than is available at places like Presto. If you need 24/96 to make your DAC sing, then upsample them yourself (on the fly or offline). Always try to buy the original. Now we just need Robert to offer his surround originals, too.

I can confirm that both of today's offerings are 24/44.1; I got them both last year.

I can't really recommend the Boccherini. I liked the Cuarteto Casals Mozart, but Boccherini doesn't work so well with modern instruments -- his writing needs gut strings. Plus there's the choice of quintets. This release has the two really famous ones: the one where the entire piece is spent imitating drum and bugle calls, and the early one with the minuet that became very famous due to a nineteenth-century arrangement. Boccherini wrote dozens of quintets that are much better than either one. As far as I am concerned, that makes the quartet the major work on this album.

The real issue Rodaguilera is trying to make is that sites like Presto Classical seem to offer non-original sample rates as downloads (same is true for their offerings of DSD labels like Pentatone), and in this case a higher rate than BIS's own original PCM files. It's those kinds of sites that make this hirez buying very confusing. Net/net, I would go with BIS's own native PCM files (eclassical is owned by BIS, basically) even though they are a lower sample rate than is available at places like Presto. If you need 24/96 to make your DAC sing, then upsample them yourself (on the fly or offline). Always try to buy the original. Now we just need Robert to offer his surround originals, too.

This is very helpful.

I downloaded two BIS titles from Presto Classical: Yevgeny Sudbin playing Scarlatti (BIS 1508) 2004 and Yevgeny Sudbin plays Scriabin (BIS 1568) 2007. Both 24/96.

eClassical has the downloads as 24/44.

The Pyramix DSD Workstation is mentioned in the booklet for BIS 1568 (SACD release). And the Octamic pre-amplifler and AD converter is mentioned for BIS 1508 (CD release).

I have to assume based on your comments that both titles were recorded in 24/44 and that the Pyramix was used to convert the PCM original to DSD for the SACD.

I should also note that Presto Classical has a flat $17.50 US pricing for all their "studio quality" downloads. eClassical has cheaper variable pricing (even without the end of year daily deals.)

Software: HQPlayer | JRiver | Fidelizer Pro | Roon | Qobuz

Music Server: i7 6700K (Windows 10) | DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD, Marantz SA 14S-1, Schitt Yggdrasil | Preamp: DIY AMB alpha24 Fully-differential line amp | Amp: DIY M3 Balanced or DIY Tube Amp (2A3-300B) | Headphone: Shure SRH-1840, Audeze LCD-X, AKG K-501, Sennheiser HD600, HD800 | Speakers: Klipsch Heresey III

You made the point ted_b. Usually when i have to buy BIS albums i go directly to eclassical; Hyperion, it's website either; Presto Classical for rare to find redbook downloads and now some HD releases as well; Qobuz for most of Jazz and Classical HD and NativeDSD for my DSD downloads.

Maybe the Presto Classical hd version was a ripped SACD source.

Yes, there is no debating that BIS SACDs are mostly sourced from PCM:

DSD (pre-2005, only nine of them)

24-44 (a majority, till sometime in 2010 I think)

24-88 (not sure of the timeframe) and

24-96 (2010+)

They sound good, though, as SACDs, but when you have the chance to buy the originals, why not.

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.

I have contacted Presto Classical several times and also eClassical regarding download files. In the case of Presto Classical, they have told me that they are offering the files that the labels have provided. If their is any issue with these files they have to go back to the labels. Same with the sampling rate, if the labels have provided incorrect information, the download sites will not know that (maybe they should). Harmonia Mundi have provided incorrect sample rates on several downloads that I had inquired about at eClassical. I think that it is unlikely that eClassical and Presto will have different files, just different information has been provided to them.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I have contacted Presto Classical several times and also eClassical regarding download files. In the case of Presto Classical, they have told me that they are offering the files that the labels have provided. If their is any issue with these files they have to go back to the labels. Same with the sampling rate, if the labels have provided incorrect information, the download sites will not know that (maybe they should). Harmonia Mundi have provided incorrect sample rates on several downloads that I had inquired about at eClassical. I think that it is unlikely that eClassical and Presto will have different files, just different information has been provided to them.

Thanks for the info!

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.

By the way, nice offering today: Isabelle Faust Bach Sonatas & Partitas solo violin. I have the red book cd so i'll pass.

-

Great selection today if you like fortepiano.

The Staier Diabellis are among the best versions out there (my review here: Beethoven: Diabelli-Variations – an acquired taste? | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms) and Brautigams piano sonatas are probably the best Beethoven cycle on fortepiano.

Unfortunately I already own both.

Great selection today if you like fortepiano.

The Staier Diabellis are among the best versions out there (my review here: Beethoven: Diabelli-Variations – an acquired taste? | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms) and Brautigams piano sonatas are probably the best Beethoven cycle on fortepiano.

+1 on Staier's Diabellis, and thanks for the recommendation of Brautigam's piano sonatas: I am getting them.

Nice offerings today folks! Will get both!

-

I have the Jacobs, and while it got good reviews, I only listen to it rarely. Too much dialogue for me.

Actually i'm more inclined to the Hillborg but got the Jacobs anyway.

-

By the way, eclassical is pretty bad on metadata...missing info and strange parenthesis around everything.

Hyperion downloads is the most perfect metadata you can find.

-

I have the Jacobs, and while it got good reviews, I only listen to it rarely. Too much dialogue for me.

Listening to it "rarely" is pretty good. I bought this Jacobs recording (Cavalieri: Rappresentatione) when it first came out, and listened to it once. It was fascinating: early early opera, with a completely different concept of music drama from what we are accustomed to today, and music that fits the words perfectly. Yet I have not come back to listen a second time. To be fair, I only rarely get around to Italian music, and the only Italian opera I've listened to twice in the last two years is Gianni Schicchi.

Todays choices are excellent if you didn't buy them last year.

I especially recommend the Hindemith sonata album on Harmonia Mundi. Fascinating sonatas for various single instruments with piano, where the instruments are violin, cello, horn, trombone and trumpet.

Peer Gynt is an excellent performance, with superb soprano and chorus. The complete 2 hour album is more than would sustain my interest, but the price is right, or you can cherry-pick your favorite tracks.

The Villa-Lobos set are considered excellent performances, but I'm not a fan so not in a position to judge.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Todays choices are excellent if you didn't buy them last year.

I especially recommend the Hindemith sonata album on Harmonia Mundi. Fascinating sonatas for various single instruments with piano, where the instruments are violin, cello, horn, trombone and trumpet.

Peer Gynt is an excellent performance, with superb soprano and chorus. The complete 2 hour album is more than would sustain my interest, but the price is right, or you can cherry-pick your favorite tracks.

The Villa-Lobos set are considered excellent performances, but I'm not a fan so not in a position to judge.

+1 on the Hindemith: http://musicophilesblog.com/2015/08/11/my-reflections-on-the-2015-gramophone-award-nominees-part-iii-chamber/

By the way, eclassical is pretty bad on metadata...missing info and strange parenthesis around everything.

Hyperion downloads is the most perfect metadata you can find.

Agree. It takes forever to clean up the eClassical metadata.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The Christmas promotion is very heavy on the handful of BIS recordings made in DSD: the Grieg piano concerto, Brautigam Beethoven V. 1, Seascapes, and now Suzuki Bach V. 28. It's a pity, really. Those are the ones to have on SACD instead, especially as eClassical still doesn't have the MCH mixes available.

Incidentally, I suspect that the lack of MCH on eClassical is due to poor design of the product database. If, at the time of site redesign five years ago, they'd had the foresight to tell their web development firm Textalk, "We need the flexibility to make extra files available to buyers of the music. Our preference is to make the booklets freely available to prospective buyers, but we also want to accommodate labels that prefer to keep their booklets behind a paywall. In addition, we have surround mixes of some of our albums, and we hope to make them available free to buyers of the 24-bit versions as soon as the files are ready," then most likely the surround mixes would have been up at least two years ago, and they'd have booklets online for nearly all their recordings. As it is, it's not easy to make Textalk prioritize rewriting the code for a working site when they have other clients with more pressing needs.

The Christmas promotion is very heavy on the handful of BIS recordings made in DSD: the Grieg piano concerto, Brautigam Beethoven V. 1, Seascapes, and now Suzuki Bach V. 28. It's a pity, really.

According to my sparce knowledge (of the famous "BIS Nine") of all those, only the Grieg is DSD recorded.

The Christmas promotion is very heavy on the handful of BIS recordings made in DSD: the Grieg piano concerto, Brautigam Beethoven V. 1, Seascapes, and now Suzuki Bach V. 28. It's a pity, really.

Yes, the Ruud's Grieg piano concerto was recorded in DSD with a Sonoma console, as the liner notes make clear:

Neumann iicrophones; microphone pre-ampiifier by Didrik De Geer. Srockholml 2 Studer 961 mixers; Meitner ADC 8A/D converter: Sonoma DSD workstation; Stax headphonesi B&w 802 Nautilus loudspeakers

On the other hand, it seems to me, also from the liner notes, that the Brautigam LvB Vol 1 and Suzuki JSB Vol 28 were recorded in PCM using ProTools Digi 002 and then mastered in DSD on a Pyramix for SACD release. Here is what the booklet for Brautigam LvB vol. 1 says:

3 Neumann TLM 50 and 2 Neumann KM 184 microphones; ProTools with DIGI 002 hard disc recordings; Pyramix DSDworkstation; Sennheiser headphones; B&W Nautilus 802 loudspeakers

And Suzuki Bach 28:

Recording equipment: Neumann microphones; Studer mixer; Pro Tools Digi oo2 hard disc recorder; Stax headphones