IGNORED

Carl Nielsen amazingly cheap on Dacapo label (6 symphonies $9)

Nielsen is Denmark's greatest composer, and Dacapo is the Danish national record label.

Promo code NIELSEN150 gives you 33% off all Nielsen recordings until Dec 31. Even before the discount, prices on box sets are very low, especially the somewhat older recordings.

Nielsen catalog:

Carl Nielsen - biography & discography - Dacapo Records

Symphonies & Concertos by New York Philharmonic conducted by Alan Gilbert, 4 CD-equivalents in 24/88 FLAC for $32 ($48 less 33%).

Carl Nielsen: The Symphonies & Concertos (6.200003) - Dacapo Records

Symphonies by Michael Schoenwandt conducting Danish National Sym, 1999-2001, 16/44.1 FLAC, $9 after discount!!

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recording-carl-nielsen---complete-symphonies--3-cd-box-set.aspx

To get the chamber music in 24/96 FLAC, you have to buy individual albums at $12 each. I have only one: String Quartets vol. 1. I love the two quartets in this album (#1 op 13 & #4 op 44), but I'm not crazy about the quintet.

Alternatively, the same performances are collected in a 6 CD set of chamber music in 16/44.1 FLAC for only $27 after discount:

Carl Nielsen: The Masterworks Vol. 2 - Chamber and Instrumental Works (8.206003) - Dacapo Records

In the symphonies, Gilbert has much better SQ, and his performance is notable for delicacy and detail, but it has a certain decorum that shortchanges Nielsen's modern style. I prefer Schoenwandt and Bernstein, which are spikier and more vibrant, but those of you averse to modernist classical music probably would prefer Gilbert.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Thanks for posting that, I love Nielsen. I'd had an email from Dacapo but this gave the impression that the discount was just for CDs. I decided to go for the Gilbert Symphonies and Concertos high res download - £22.41 GBP, a great bargain. I've got the Blomstedt recordings, so it will be interesting to compare.

Thank you. The Gilbert Studio Master is outstanding. I downloaded the set yesterday and feel it is as good as it gets in terms of sound quality and musicianship. "Strong, beautiful and independent" (quote: Alan Gilbert).

I love the fact that Dacapo charges less for the downloads. This is as it should be. Harmonia Mundi, OTOH, charges more, offers discounts on box sets, but not on the box sets that are downloaded. I do not see the logic of that.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

When I looked at the credits for the particular recordings it says that it was recorded in 24/96kHz, so why DaCapo offering it in 24/88.2? There is also another resolution available in 24/192kHz, which could sound as the upsample version, am I right? What symphonies are you recommend for the non Nielsen expert though?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

"Pan and Syrinx" is his most famous non-symphonic orchestral work. It is soft and pretty, unlike the symphonies. You can buy it as a single track from one of the albums of miscellaneous orchestral works.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

"Pan and Syrinx" is his most famous non-symphonic orchestral work. It is soft and pretty, unlike the symphonies. You can buy it as a single track from one of the albums of miscellaneous orchestral works.

Thanks Bob. I am just thinking to pick up one or two symphonies, but not decided yet which one. Also curious about the resolutions which DaCapo is offering.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata