IGNORED

Paul Pang Audio Parts

kilroy

I am considering using some of the PPA parts for a new server. I'm not sure of their benefit, but have never heard a bad word about any of Paul's stuff.

Many of these parts are clock-related upgrades to existing components, using TCXO and OCXO modules. I presume these are at least in part to lower jitter. One can purchase SSDs, USB sound cards and motherboards, all with clock modules added. You can also purchase separate clock modules if you're brave enough to upgrade your own motherboard.

There are other items, like his modified RAM modules, but there is no indication of what those mods are.

And his SATA cables, while not exactly clock-related, seem to get very good reviews.

On a sponsored forum here there is a recent post about a server build using many PPA parts, with stated results of sound quality of the highest degree.

Or is there a point of diminishing returns for adding these into a server... at some point is the improvement as low as it can go?

Will there be clear differences between the TCXO and OCXO modules on the same device, say, an SSD?

How do the PPA items compare with some of the new-fangled items like the Regen and Jitterbug. Do these approach the same issues but from a different direction. Is the use of these items with PPA stuff redundant?

What exactly is the nature of improvement of these items. Not from a tech viewpoint, but from sound quality. Will I hear a difference, and what will it be?

I'm hoping that users of the PPA items can share their experiences.

Thanks.

I am using a PPA USB card version 2. After doing some work on my system I inadvertently hooked up my DAC to a systemboard USB port. Although it did not sound bad in my already tweaked system once I hooked back up to the PPA card I was much happier with better clarity and lower noise floor.

The REGEN that I noticed as soon as it was in place. Lower noise floor giving better details and much better defined bass and mid-bass.

AQJB was much more subtle. Have not pulled them out to see if the difference was worth it.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Unfortunately i don't have enough budget to buy all of things at once but that give me some good chance!

It makes me can audition piece by piece. Listen to it from the beginning until it burned in and ready to go.

I found the big steps of my upgrading are

1. LPSU instead of Switching PSU.

2. Remove all fans out and use fanless items instead.

3. PPA OCXO USB Card

4. (Most important) Bios setting to reach a very low profile as far as it can go - based on Paul suggestion.

You will not hear the best without proper Bios setting,believe me.

You will think it can't beat hi-end media player until you do it (Bios setting)

Not to mention to PPA mb or ssd clock upgrade, just his USB card can brought you to the nearly hi-end step. It makes me jaw drop after listen to it at the first time.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Unfortunately i don't have enough budget to buy all of things at once but that give me some good chance!

It makes me can audition piece by piece. Listen to it from the beginning until it burned in and ready to go.

I found the big steps of my upgrading are

1. LPSU instead of Switching PSU.

2. Remove all fans out and use fanless items instead.

3. PPA OCXO USB Card

4. (Most important) Bios setting to reach a very low profile as far as it can go - based on Paul suggestion.

You will not hear the best without proper Bios setting,believe me.

You will think it can't beat hi-end media player until you do it (Bios setting)

Not to mention to PPA mb or ssd clock upgrade, just his USB card can brought you to the nearly hi-end step. It makes me jaw drop after listen to it at the first time.

Agree with you on all points.

I don't recall seeing any suggestions for BIOS settings on Paul's site. What are they?

Agree with you on all points.

I don't recall seeing any suggestions for BIOS settings on Paul's site. What are they?

It is on mainboard clock upgrade or his fc10 misic server something like that.

You have to scroll to the bottom of the page.

But as i remember is

Cpu clock ratio 8

Graphic clock 800 mhz

Uncore ratio 8

System memory multiplier 8

Cpu v core 0.600v (mine 0.602))

PCH core 0.900v (mine 0.975)

Dram voltage 1.2v

Cas latency 5

Trcd 5

Trp 5

Tras 11

Hyper thread disable

Cpu enhanced disable

C3 suppory disable

C6/C7 support disable

Cpu thermal disable

Cpu Eist disable

This is based on h97 mobo.

If you use the others, it is not quite the same value. You have to try to adjust it up step by step until it works stable.

For the other things in wins, i think everybody and you know such as set virtual memory to no paging file and set visual effect to the best performance. Something like that.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Here is another longtime user of PPA parts. I recently upgraded the DDC to the newest version (only the clock is different I believe) and even that is a huge upgrade. You can't go wrong with any of these parts, but some make a bigger difference then others (like NAIDIVER and kilroy mentioned). Price/performance wise I have not been able to find better performing equipment.

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521