IGNORED

What classical piece would you like to have in a modern hi-res recording?

I'd also suggest Myaskovsky Symphonies, (esp. 6 and anything #20+) and the Cello Concerto for modern hires recordings, along with Balakirev and Kallinikov symphonies. Already enjoying the HDTT transfers of some of these and have all on CD plus various LPs, but I could imagine that the Mariinsky, for example, might do these works justice on SACD.

Agree on the HDTT DSD256 transfers of the Balakirev Sym1 and the two Kallinikov symphonies from 15ips 2 track Melodyia tapes. I ripped all my EMI albums, which include all the Melodyias that they issued on their ASD and SLS series. I haven't compared the Balakirev and Kallinikov symphonies which were part of albums in those series with the HDTT rips.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

With regards to Gilels, I prefer his recording with Reiner on RCA to the Böhm version, but also like Brendel (this was my first recording of no. 2 actually).

I like his Reiner recording too, but for me it is too much in the same vein as, and falls just short of, the Richter/Leinsdorf Brahms 2nd, which is my favorite.

I do like the later Gilels/Jochum/Berliner recording though, for it is very different from his earlier version, with a more stately, noble feel to it. And it comes with a Brahms 1st that is amazing.

I downloaded the Andrew Davis Job/Symphony No. 9 recording (24/96) this weekend from Chandos. The recording was made at 24/96 as Chandos usually does. I won't comment about the recording much at this point as I don't want to influence you. Having only heard one performance of this piece, Vernon Handley/RPO, I am no expert (although I love the piece). I have been listening to the Handley recording for 30 years so it is well ingrained into me which makes it hard to listen to another performance without being acutely aware of the differences. Lets just say that there are clear differences in interpretation and having never heard Davis' earlier recording, I don't know how this new one compares. I will say that I find the recording itself to be a bit light in the low frequencies and the cymbals are somewhat recessed. Nothing terrible but definitely noticeable on my system and, again, in contrast to the Handley recording. If you do download this recording, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts. I would be happy to try to answer any specific questions that you have to help you decide whether or not to download. I thought that the Symphony, which I am not as intimately familiar with, came across very well. Again, I am not an authority on the interpretation of these pieces, I can just give my impression.

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks. If I buy I'll probably get the SACD. But, more than most, this is not a piece I'd be happy with a recording that was 'light in the low frequencies'. Although this is the only hi res offering, I'm not getting the impression from your comments that it is necessarily adding anything to the few previous recordings. I'm only familiar with the Boult recordings (mono DECCA and stereo HMV) which certainly don't lack in the low frequencies. I do wonder if this is the right choice of orchestra for this music - I'd like to hear what the Halle or LSO could do.

I like his Reiner recording too, but for me it is too much in the same vein as, and falls just short of, the Richter/Leinsdorf Brahms 2nd, which is my favorite.

I do like the later Gilels/Jochum/Berliner recording though, for it is very different from his earlier version, with a more stately, noble feel to it. And it comes with a Brahms 1st that is amazing.

I have many versions of the Brahms concertos, and although the Gilels/Jochum pairing is originally an analogue recording, the Qobuz 24-bit download is great. And the performances are absolutely sublime IMO.

In contrast, the recent Barenboim/Dudamel pairing is awful. His playing just belies belief...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

In contrast, the recent Barenboim/Dudamel pairing is awful. His playing just belies belief...

No Barenboim fan here either. It doesn't help that he played the two concertos back to back on one evening... What was he thinking?

And back on topic: I'd like to see a nice hi-res recording of the Glière horn concerto.

I have many versions of the Brahms concertos, and although the Gilels/Jochum pairing is originally an analogue recording, the Qobuz 24-bit download is great. And the performances are absolutely sublime IMO.

Fully agree. I can't stand the Dudamel/Barenboim either (although Dudamel did a good job at the New Year's Concert last week).

See my review here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/09/28/two-recent-releases-i-really-dont-like/

One day I'll do a comparative test of all my Brahms 2. Gilels Jochum clearly is very high on the list, Reiner Leinsdorf as well, as are several Szell permutations (Curzon, Fleisher, etc.).

But I'd still love a new contemporary recording of these pieces.

Thanks. If I buy I'll probably get the SACD. But, more than most, this is not a piece I'd be happy with a recording that was 'light in the low frequencies'. Although this is the only hi res offering, I'm not getting the impression from your comments that it is necessarily adding anything to the few previous recordings. I'm only familiar with the Boult recordings (mono DECCA and stereo HMV) which certainly don't lack in the low frequencies. I do wonder if this is the right choice of orchestra for this music - I'd like to hear what the Halle or LSO could do.

I must admit that I am disappointed with the "Job." Lets just say that we still need a high resolution recording of the work (not sure where that would even come from at this point). I'm sure that Gramophone will review the recording and I wouldn't be surprised if they say that it is not much of an improvement over Davis' recording with the BBC Symphony. From what I could find, the earlier recording did not get very favorable reviews for lack of energy. I just listened to the Handley recording from 1983 and it is just magical: huge dynamic sound with wonderful contrasts. The Epilogue leaves you mesmerized (the music continues playing in your head) whereas Davis sounds like he is just trying to get it over with. I would imagine that Boult and Handley have a similar approach considering their relationship. I was trying to find a copy of Boult's 1971 EMI (LSO) recording but nothing is available. Oh well...

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I love hi res downloads and SACDs, but sometime I wonder just how many versions of Pictures at an Exhibition and Scheherazade, or Mahler symphony cycles do we actually need?

What neglected piece would you like to have in a modern hi res recording? For me it's Vaughan Williams's Job (a Masque for Dancing).

Chopin Nocturnes by Maria Joao Pires (DG release from the 90's).

Beethoven Symphonies by Harnoncourt (Teldec from the 80's I think).

A bunch of others but right now those come to mind.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Both the Richter Leinsdorf and the Gilels Reiner Brahms 2nd PC are both available on HDTT in DSD256 rips from 15ips 2 track tapes. I have both.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Interesting! How do they sound compared to the regular versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Certainly superior to my vinyl versions using my NADAC mch. Larry

I was trying to find a copy of Boult's 1971 EMI (LSO) recording but nothing is available. Oh well...

Unless I'm mistaken... see disc 8:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Williams-Complete-Symphonies-Adrian/dp/B00004YA0V.

For me this is the must have set of RVW symphonies+, probably my most played CDs.

This one has a few modernish recordings although nothing that could be called hi-res. To make matters worse it just doesn't play well with overly polished bands under the handful of en vogue conductors that get recorded well. This post is somewhat driven by the passing of Anton Nanut who made scads of imperfectly brilliant recordings for budget labels using equally second class players. I'd very much like to see the two works on this album undertook by a group of upstarts in quad or octuple DSD.

117750012.jpg

To add to the fun there is an OOP disc of this recording from Bluebell that was released in 1993. The second movement here is quite fun.

• 1 month later...
Unless I'm mistaken... see disc 8:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Williams-Complete-Symphonies-Adrian/dp/B00004YA0V.

For me this is the must have set of RVW symphonies+, probably my most played CDs.

Just picked this up on Amazon used. I got an accurate rip with XLD; can't wait to play it tomorrow.

Job - Boult.jpeg

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond