IGNORED

What classical piece would you like to have in a modern hi-res recording?

I love hi res downloads and SACDs, but sometime I wonder just how many versions of Pictures at an Exhibition and Scheherazade, or Mahler symphony cycles do we actually need?

What neglected piece would you like to have in a modern hi res recording? For me it's Vaughan Williams's Job (a Masque for Dancing).

Walton's Viola Concerto.

I own the LP of Menuhin/Walton/LSO, and to my knowledge this work as never been issued in a modern hi res format. Walton's 1st Symphony was finally recorded as a Chandos SACD (Gardiner/BBC SO) in 2014 along with his Violin Concerto (Tasmin Little, Violin), so that leaves his Viola Concerto. Walton deserves a far greater audience than he has.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

For me it's Vaughan Williams's Job (a Masque for Dancing).

+1, but it will have to be one hell of a performance to best Vernon Handley's recording (on EMI) which also has excellent SQ. I would also like to see a new recording of David Diamond's second symphony.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I'm still waiting for a highres version of Brahms piano concertos.

There are already several versions out in hi res. I have the Stephen Hough's Mozarteum orchestra recordings from Hyperion and there is also one from Barenboim on DGG and from the same label Helen Grimaud's recordings with two different orchestras plus a remaster of her older recordings.

My favourite download of the 2nd concerto is Malikova's on Acousence in superb 24/192 pcm sound, and very well played too.

There are already several versions out in hi res. I have the Stephen Hough's Mozarteum orchestra recordings from Hyperion and there is also one from Barenboim on DGG and from the same label Helen Grimaud's recordings with two different orchestras plus a remaster of her older recordings.

My favourite download of the 2nd concerto is Malikova's on Acousence in superb 24/192 pcm sound, and very well played too.

Maybe I should have said "a reference version" in high-res. Both Hough's and Grimaud's version are ok, but not up to the standard of Chailly/Frère (not even mentioning any of the old Szell recordings), and Barenboim to me is one of the worst recordings ever of these concertos (see my review here: Two Recent Releases I Really Don’t Like | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms).

I don't know the Malikova, are you referring to this one? eClassical - Living Concert Series ? Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2

But from eclassical I think you will not get the native master which is 24/192, not 24/96.But I find it together with several other recordings from this label both a very good recording and performance of Brahms' 2nd piano concerto.

My other favourites are all from the analogue era Brendel on Philips LPs and Gilels with Böhm, which is actually also available as hi res download from Highresaudio.

I have not heard the Grimaud nor the Barenboim recordings.

But I am tempted to buy the Curzon Decca LP of the 1st, in Singapore before flying home next spring.

And then there is of course the classic Decca recording of the 2nd too ,Backhaus /Böhm and the VPO.

I am sure both of those already available on new pressings as LPs ,but not yet downloads as far as I know.

Cheers Chris

With regards to Gilels, I prefer his recording with Reiner on RCA to the Böhm version, but also like Brendel (this was my first recording of no. 2 actually).

For me, it's all about the performance. And I really, really like Abbado's Bruckner Symphony No. 9. And it's 48kHz 24-bit. So one can argue whether it can even be considered high-res. And I can stream it at 44kHz 16-bit off Tidal. But currently, that's the only album that I really want to buy even though I own a decent recording and can access other ones on Tidal.

I have posted this message in another thread but it feels more appropriate here.

What online stores do you suggest for buying classical music from the UK?

I am considering buying a High Res version of my favourite recording of the works I like the most and this means that many will have been recorded in the 20th century (mostly Decca, DG, Philips, RCA).

Thanks,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I have posted this message in another thread but it feels more appropriate here.

What online stores do you suggest for buying classical music from the UK?

I am considering buying a High Res version of my favourite recording of the works I like the most and this means that many will have been recorded in the 20th century (mostly Decca, DG, Philips, RCA).

Thanks,

Ricardo

eClassical (mostly BIS & Harmonia Mundi), HDTracks, Presto Classical, Linn, Hyperion, The Classical Shop-Chandos, Qobuz.

Edit: HiResAudio (Germany) but I have not used them.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

It makes more sense to buy hi-res versions of modern recordings made in hi-res. The benefit of hi-res transfers from analog tape over RBCD is really marginal.

I don't have a favorite recording of the works I like the most. I have a shortlist.

eClassical (mostly BIS & Harmonia Mundi), HDTracks, Presto Classical, Linn, Hyperion, The Classical Shop-Chandos, Qobuz.

Edit: HiResAudio (Germany) but I have not used them.

Thanks.

It makes more sense to buy hi-res versions of modern recordings made in hi-res. The benefit of hi-res transfers from analog tape over RBCD is really marginal.

I don't have a favorite recording of the works I like the most. I have a shortlist.

I don't have a single favourite either...but I'm trying to keep this from getting expensive.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

+1, but it will have to be one hell of a performance to best Vernon Handley's recording (on EMI) which also has excellent SQ. I would also like to see a new recording of David Diamond's second symphony.

And the 5 or so unrecorded Diamond symphonies.

I'd like to hear a new Roger Sessions symphony cycle with a major orchestra.

• 1 year later...
What neglected piece would you like to have in a modern hi res recording? For me it's Vaughan Williams's Job (a Masque for Dancing).

In January Chandos will be releasing a new recording of Vaughan Wiliams' "Job" coupled with his Ninth Symphony. Andrew Davis conducting, could be quite interesting.

Presto Classical - Vaughan Williams: Job & Symphony No. 9 - Chandos: CHSA5180

In January Chandos will be releasing a new recording of Vaughan Wiliams' "Job" coupled with his Ninth Symphony. Andrew Davis conducting, could be quite interesting.

Presto Classical - Vaughan Williams: Job & Symphony No. 9 - Chandos: CHSA5180

Many thanks for the heads up. Will be buying, but not sure why the Bergen Philharmonic... But at least it's a DSD recording unlike some Chandos SACDs.

Many thanks for the heads up. Will be buying, but not sure why the Bergen Philharmonic... But at least it's a DSD recording unlike some Chandos SACDs.

How do you know this is a DSD recording?

I'd also suggest Myaskovsky Symphonies, (esp. 6 and anything #20+) and the Cello Concerto for modern hires recordings, along with Balakirev and Kallinikov symphonies. Already enjoying the HDTT transfers of some of these and have all on CD plus various LPs, but I could imagine that the Mariinsky, for example, might do these works justice on SACD.

• 3 weeks later...
From the Presto site (Tell me more"): "This is a Super Audio CD, recorded using Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology, offering the ultimate in high-resolution digital audio."

I downloaded the Andrew Davis Job/Symphony No. 9 recording (24/96) this weekend from Chandos. The recording was made at 24/96 as Chandos usually does. I won't comment about the recording much at this point as I don't want to influence you. Having only heard one performance of this piece, Vernon Handley/RPO, I am no expert (although I love the piece). I have been listening to the Handley recording for 30 years so it is well ingrained into me which makes it hard to listen to another performance without being acutely aware of the differences. Lets just say that there are clear differences in interpretation and having never heard Davis' earlier recording, I don't know how this new one compares. I will say that I find the recording itself to be a bit light in the low frequencies and the cymbals are somewhat recessed. Nothing terrible but definitely noticeable on my system and, again, in contrast to the Handley recording. If you do download this recording, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts. I would be happy to try to answer any specific questions that you have to help you decide whether or not to download. I thought that the Symphony, which I am not as intimately familiar with, came across very well. Again, I am not an authority on the interpretation of these pieces, I can just give my impression.

Cheers!

Bob

With regards to Gilels, I prefer his recording with Reiner on RCA to the Böhm version, but also like Brendel (this was my first recording of no. 2 actually).

HDTT has a very nice DSD256 transfer of the Gilels Reiner from a 15ips 2 track tape. I was listening to it a couple of days ago.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files