IGNORED

iFi micro-iDAC2 question

I recently purchased an iFi micro-iDAC2. I have it attached to a Mac Mini running JRiver. With all the iDAC2 capabilities I’m having a difficult time deciding what would be the best strategy to get the best sound.

So, with the iFi’s micro-iDAC2's design, what do you feel is the best strategy to get the best sound?

1. Have JRiver convert everything to 2xDSD (or 4xDSD)?

2. Have JRiver send everything to the micro-iDAC2 in the audio files native form (44/16 as 44/16, 96/24 as 96/24, DSD as DSD etc.)?

3. Have JRiver upsample all PCM to maximum kHz, and DSD to 4xDSD?

4. Some other strategy?

Thanks for you input,

Delbert

Here's a novel idea -- why don't you try them all, and see which sounds best to you.

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Mac Mini (w/Audirvana; MMK; JS2; ext SSD); AQJB; Curious USB; Regen; Curious (20cm); Yggdrasil; anti-cable 6.2 ic; Cary SLI-80 Sig (NOS tubes); diy VHaudio airlock sp; Merlin VSM's (sadly, last iteration); Cardas Clear & VHaudio Flav 4 pwr cords; Tripp Lite iso trans; diy power box; Syn Res ART; diy Shakti Hallograph (4); Bybee room neutralizers & signal enhancers; Furutech GTX outlets; Stillpoints Ultra SS & mini

With the iDSD Micro I prefer your option 3. Upscale all multiples of 44.1kHz to 705.6 kHz and multiples of 48.0kHz to 768kHz. Don't have any DSD files.

I found converting everything to 4 x DSD or more was harder on system resources, without any consistent gain in SQ.