IGNORED

Roon/Tidal with Minimserver Library on a QNAP

OK. So trying the Roon/Tidal combo

When you first Load Roon (I am using the OSX app), the software asks obviously to scan your music libraries.

My music library sits on a QNAP and it's not showing up...

Roon help says Roon needs to be running on "the other device"..Does that mean the QNAP?

What gives here?

Thanks

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

When you first Load Roon (I am using the OSX app), the software asks obviously to scan your music libraries.

Roon help says Roon needs to be running on "the other device"..Does that mean the QNAP?

What gives here?

Thanks

The 'other' device, you need to be running the Roon Core (with Gui) or Roon Server ( headless) is another computer either Windows or OSX on your network. This is where the Roon library will be run from.

The iOS app is merely a Roon control which points to where you have your main Roon library (database). Your Qnap on the network is the location where you music files are located....it's slightly different thinking, if you are coming from the world of network streaming using upnp/dlna standards

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Thanks

Ok so I too have Roon loaded on a Mac Mini running El C. I am not sure if you have RoonServer or Roon loaded on the Mac Mini, but regardless let me ask you about the QNAP, as I have a Synology in use with Roon.

So after loading Roon on the Mac Mini, you will need to configure it for your NAS in settings.

Settings -> Storage

You will need to configure a "Watched Folder"

The static IP address of my NAS is 10.0.1.201

the location of music on the NAS is in the "Music" folder which is at the root of the NAS.

For my Synology NAS I have the NAS via the Synology software configured to support SMB3. If you can do so on the QNAP you should do so. Higher performance than SMB1/SMB2

So all that being said I set the watched folder settings to:

Network path : smb://10.0.1.201/Music

Username - (username to login to NAS to access the music folder)

Password - (password to login to NAS to access the music folder)

Once you have this configured Roon will start scanning the network drive and adding music.

So to make sure I understood your questions:

What do you mean its not showing up? After performing the steps I noted above it does not show up?

Trying mount the QNAP in Finder by choosing Go -> Connect to Server

Enter the SMB address of your NAS, just as you did above in Roon.

Does it mount on your desktop?

Do you mean someone from the Roon Community Forums? if not, is this a message you are getting from Roon?

Do you have Roon installed on one or more devices? Which device is the one you are using as Roon core to manage your music library? If you have it installed on just one Mac, then you launch Roon on that Mac and follow the setup steps for your QNAP as I outlined above.

If I misunderstood, my apologies.

BTW Roon will work regardless of whether Minimserver is running on the NAS or not. It does not need Minimserver, nor does it use it.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

So Roon needs to be running on a computer (with OSX or Windows) to serve up the library from my QNAP.. Is that what you are saying..?

Why would anyone do this? (Add a computer...another networked device)...that can fail.... in the stream to source and stream a music library from a networked NAS?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Yes, Roon needs to be installed on a computer such as one running OS X/Windows. It will not run on a QNAP at this time.

That computer in turn needs to be connected to a DAC.

Roon (core) or RoonServer than manage your music library, whether local storage or on a NAS.

The clients run on multiple OS/devices, including OS X, Windows, Android, IOS.

If you are looking to integrate into an UPnP environment than you may wish to look elsewhere.

I guess I don't quite understand what you want to use Roon for/have it do?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I guess I don't quite understand what you want to use Roon for/have it do?

Because I thought it would be an easy way to pull Tidal and my library together..that's all.. (I intend to get the new Exasound streamer)..

Looks like Roon won't do..

So what is the point of Roon: if one can't pull their library off a NAS?

Because I thought it would be an easy way to pull Tidal and my library together..that's all.. (I intend to get the new Exasound streamer)..

Looks like Roon won't do..

So what is the point of Roon: if one can't pull their library off a NAS?

Simple - a much better musical experience, for library management, browsing, information links, album/artist notes, tidal integration....When compared to anything else out there in the market - there is no comparison.

Sounds like a UPNP type of solution would better suit what you are after.

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Yes. I don't get Roon..

I'm sorry.. been around streaming along time.. put it simply..

streaming should be at all times striving for simplifying the stream..

Interesting. I have Roon and it can access music on my NAS and music on Tidal. It can integrate them into a common user experience. Supports the user of multiple hardware/OS for control points.

Looks like you want something with UpNP support, that wont be Roon.

The Exasound streamer should make you happy, especially if they add are able to add Spotify Connect support.

Edit - I stand corrected, I see Spotify Connect support is on the roadmap, excellent.

Ok So Roon is basically just an Alternative to A+/Qboz or Amarra/Tidal ?? (Both of these run on OSX/computer which connects to a DAC)

is that what it is?...just an alternative to these two solutions.. ??

So what is the ROON "embedded" they are looking into supporting in the Exasound PP? Why do this (Given the PP has airplay anyway)...or will this offer better quality streaming?

LOL!!! Thanks for the links. I now GET IT!!! hahahahaha

You have a good sense of humor. I like that.

p.s.

If you are looking for streamer support of Spotify in Roon, you won't find that anytime soon.

p.p.s Yes I know the links are the lazy person's way out, however so much has already been written and my keyboard is on it's last legs.

So other than Meridian: what other hiend gear currently supports the RAAT RoomSpeakers API?

What devices Right now are RoonReady?

You have a good sense of humor. I like that.

p.s.

If you are looking for streamer support of Spotify in Roon, you won't find that anytime soon.

Yes I know the politics behind that!!! I know Roon wanted to implement Spotify (like they have done with Tidal)... I mean *wh0* wouldn't!!! LOL!!! (for obvious reasons) and I also now get RAAT/RoonSpeakers is basically a direct competitive product to Spotify Connect ( hence why Spotify wouldn't be interested in Roon) I knnow all that!! LOL

...and I know guys in the US think Spotify is the devil re-incarnated.. I get that LOL ...but they are the WORLD market LEADER!!!

hahahaha Europeans (Spotify) have been whipping Apple for years now in Music distribution.. left 'em for dead... stone cold old age tech dead... like hello.. how about last decade..? itunes/ servers running on a computer is like soooo last century... hahaha :)

(The tech world is *not* just in Silicon Valley USA you know)

Ryder Cup and all that LOL!!!!

So other than Meridian: what other hiend gear currently supports the RAAT RoomSpeakers API?

What devices Right now are RoonReady?

None, ask me again in two months and hopefully the answer will be different, Roon just released their developers kit a week or so back.

Well Bob Lefsetz certainly seems to be a big fan of Spotify, though he is in Southern California.

I have no bone to pick with Spotify either.

2035.gif

...Posted from somewhere in the last century....