IGNORED

Luxman P-700U Headphone Amp

I'm interested in purchasing one of these. Some units are advertised as being shipped from Japan. Out of the box brand new, are these "Japan" units play-ready in the USA? On one selling site the P-700U is given one star and.the reviewer states:

"This unit for sale is the domestic Japanese model and will need a step-up transformer, which detracts from the sound quality. If anything goes wrong; the Japanese domestic model CANNOT be serviced overseas but must return to Japan, God only knows how long that will take and by the time you pay air-freight, duty customs clearance, the savings over a "normal export model, (which complies with CE & UL) is minimal.

Does anyone know this to be fact? I am aware a unit can be purchased from THE CABLE COMPANY or ON A HIGHER NOTE. Are their models the "normal export models" the reviewer is talking about?

Generally correct and not worth the hassle imo. I've owned several Luxman units and investigated this. There are those that claim to save $ on some models and be perfectly happy with the consequences (imo, step-up transformer performance is the biggest "if" in this equation), but I have my doubts.The best value in Luxman gear is in the used market with recent and latest models. Demos are sometimes priced fairly reasonably, but not a good value (again, imo). Luxman makes very nice gear. I just don't think the prices are very attractive.

Generally correct and not worth the hassle imo. I've owned several Luxman units and investigated this. There are those that claim to save $ on some models and be perfectly happy with the consequences (imo, step-up transformer performance is the biggest "if" in this equation), but I have my doubts.The best value in Luxman gear is in the used market with recent and latest models. Demos are sometimes priced fairly reasonably, but not a good value (again, imo). Luxman makes very nice gear. I just don't think the prices are very attractive.

Actually in this case, as the units are Japanese spec, a step-down transformer would be required. The unit would work as normal. No doubt, all the rest is true. Too bad there isn't an American distributor. ( At least one I could find. )

Actually in this case, as the units are Japanese spec, a step-down transformer would be required. The unit would work as normal. No doubt, all the rest is true. Too bad there isn't an American distributor. ( At least one I could find. )

Check out On A Higher Note, Philip O'Hanlon, American Distributor. He's the one who brought distribution back to North America after a bit of a hiatus.