IGNORED

Sim audio 280D or Teac ud 503

I ve obviously abandoned the soundcard idea i started here a few days ago

Im feeling good about 2 DACs in my price range

Both meet my needs , desktop to home stereo , DSD ( tho only to 256) ,asynchronous

usb .

The simaudio has an unheard of , to me , warranty , 10 years . i cant see to compare

Teacs warranty

I have never heard of the chipset in Teac , tho ppl knowing more than me are

impressed . I have no idea what the opamp is either . In simaudio i find no info

on either the chip or opamp

Simaudio is 400.00 Canadian dollars more (If i sold my , practically new Oppo 105

i could afford the simaudio ) .

Can i solicit some advice on this purchase ?

Thanks

I ve obviously abandoned the soundcard idea i started here a few days ago

Im feeling good about 2 DACs in my price range

Both meet my needs , desktop to home stereo , DSD ( tho only to 256) ,asynchronous

usb .

The simaudio has an unheard of , to me , warranty , 10 years . i cant see to compare

Teacs warranty

I have never heard of the chipset in Teac , tho ppl knowing more than me are

impressed . I have no idea what the opamp is either . In simaudio i find no info

on either the chip or opamp

Simaudio is 400.00 Canadian dollars more (If i sold my , practically new Oppo 105

i could afford the simaudio ) .

Can i solicit some advice on this purchase ?

Thanks

I was at exactly the same place as you until yesterday when i made my final choice. I cannot tell you anything about the Teac ud 503 other than it looks promising but assembly seems shoty, 5000 units were recalled, and i'm already seeing price drops wich is kind of unusual for a brand new product. I bought the 280d yesterday, the chip is ESS 9018, and i will tell you this: I'm not listening to computer files anymore, i'm earing music for the first time in a long time. This dac is really impressive straight out of the box. Bass is very precise and punchy, highs are precise and natural. Prior to the 280d i was using a Cambridge Stream magic 6v2, let me tell you that everybody who say that all dacs sound identical would crap in their pants if they experienced the results i did. I dont know what chip is in the Oppo, i know it's a Ess sabre chip. I've been researching all over the net for the last 2 months on wich dac to choose and i can only say one thing: dont put too much into chip brand, i have red countless times that Sabre ESS chips make bright almost harsh dacs wich is why it took me so long to make up my mind. I think it's more about chip integration to the rest of the dac. Has for selling the Oppo to buy the 280d i think you would need to do a home listening try out.

It's hard for me to explain how good the 280d really is. My two cents.

Thanks for an informed reply

How d u ever hear of simaudio ?

They ve been in bizz 35 years and respectfully . Yet fell under my radar

I havent seen any serious threads on them in any of the audiophile forums im

familiar with . Google doesnt have alot of hits either

That doesnt mean it isnt amazing tho. Maybe im lucky to have found them by accident

Too bad i can only afford 1 DAC

This purchase is for my home stereo in frontroom , in bedroom is my RSA Darkstar

with HD 800s and Cayin N6

Is that thing in the least bit portable ? I can pic myself moving it from room to room

Would it just be a simple un plug re plug scenario ?

Like u im worried about the teac

Cheers for help m8

Thanks for an informed reply

How d u ever hear of simaudio ?

They ve been in bizz 35 years and respectfully . Yet fell under my radar

I havent seen any serious threads on them in any of the audiophile forums im

familiar with . Google doesnt have alot of hits either

That doesnt mean it isnt amazing tho. Maybe im lucky to have found them by accident

Too bad i can only afford 1 DAC

This purchase is for my home stereo in frontroom , in bedroom is my RSA Darkstar

with HD 800s and Cayin N6

Is that thing in the least bit portable ? I can pic myself moving it from room to room

Would it just be a simple un plug re plug scenario ?

Like u im worried about the teac

Cheers for help m8

I'll second the MOON Neo 280D. It's an absolute steal at its asking price and my go to DAC under $3500. (Disclaimer: I'm an authorized MOON by Simaudio dealer.) All of the MOON by Simaudio gear I've heard, including the Neo 280D, is incredibly musical and involving while still being detailed. I'm listening to a 280D right now (and there's an AURALiC Vega sitting 8ft away from it; I'm also an AURALiC dealer).

The 280D isn't too heavy. So carrying it from room to room wouldn't be too bad. But if you really want something more portable that does a lot of what the 280D does (though not all), check out the MOON Neo 230HAD.

Simaudio is celebrating its 35th year in business, so they've been around a good while.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information.

Good listening,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

All this advice is appreciated

I will likely be in contact :)-

Im processing alot of info as we speak

280D is a tad from my budget right now ,(As im also looking into moving from my

HD800s to hifiman 1000 or LCD 3 s i was hoping for some funds in that area too so im

looking at a few sacrifices

I know it s off topic , but i bought an Oppo 105 over a year ago when i was with

my dad caring for him I was anticipating using it when i got home as there was no way

there to really use it ( so yes under 20 hours use ) .He needed me longer than expected

thus i just got home and i bought it for the DAC section Which now isnt enough for me

Long tale short , i ve only ever sold one thing in my life , my DX100 on another site . i

have no idea what a barely used 105 can honestly bring in Canadin dollars . I googled

to no avail . Can i slip off topic and ask for some quick advice here on that issue ?

Im most certainly heavily considering the 280D over Teac ud 503 .i may just have

to swallow the difference and wait for Hifimans or Audeze a bit longer

Cheers im enjoying this thread

I'll second the MOON Neo 280D. It's an absolute steal at its asking

price and my go to DAC under $3500. (Disclaimer: I'm an authorized MOON by Simaudio

dealer.) All of the MOON by Simaudio gear I've heard, including the Neo 280D, is incredibly musical and involving while still being detailed. I'm listening to a 280D right now (and there's an AURALiC Vega sitting 8ft away from it; I'm also an AURALiC dealer).

The 280D isn't too heavy. So carrying it from room to room wouldn't be too bad. But if you really want something more portable that does a lot of what the 280D does (though not all), check out the MOON Neo 230HAD.

Simaudio is celebrating its 35th year in business, so they've been around a good while.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information.

Good listening,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

All this advice is appreciated

I will likely be in contact :)-

Im processing alot of info as we speak

280D is a tad from my budget right now ,(As im also looking into moving from my

HD800s to hifiman 1000 or LCD 3 s i was hoping for some funds in that area too so im

looking at a few sacrifices

I know it s off topic , but i bought an Oppo 105 over a year ago when i was with

my dad caring for him I was anticipating using it when i got home as there was no way

there to really use it ( so yes under 20 hours use ) .He needed me longer than expected

thus i just got home and i bought it for the DAC section Which now isnt enough for me

Long tale short , i ve only ever sold one thing in my life , my DX100 on another site . i

have no idea what a barely used 105 can honestly bring in Canadin dollars . I googled

to no avail . Can i slip off topic and ask for some quick advice here on that issue ?

Im most certainly heavily considering the 280D over Teac ud 503 .i may just have

to swallow the difference and wait for Hifimans or Audeze a bit longer

Cheers im enjoying this thread

Is your Oppo a Darbee unit? That will make a difference. And as always, condition and whether you have the original box, manual, and accessories matters to resale price.

There are currently at least two wanted ads for an Oppo 105 on Canuck AudioMart and one on Audiogon. Those might give you a rough idea what people are willing to pay for a 105 right now.

Best,

Jeff

16 flipping lbs LOL WOW

Thanks mates

How about cable advice

I ve spent a few grand on cables alone over the last while at moon audio . Cables are

primo and Drew and his company are amazing . That said

I ve recently looked at my cables and said lordy i may have a set of HE 1000s right

there lol ( i have HD 800s ) .

With respect i looked around and found some alternatives of reportedly decent

cables . i found the following

Leif | Red Dawn Analog Interconnect

From what i read they seem decent . And down to earth prices

Are these as primo as Drews cables ? Or is there a point where u can say you ve reached

a peak and anymore pesos spent is wasted as u wont hear them

Cheers

Simaudio is made in Canada about 2hrs from where I live and are very well known in Canada and in hi fi circles. The 280d is kind of cumbersome and wheighs 16pnds not the Best idea to carry around but feasable and yes just plug and plan. But I ll go along with Jeff and tell you that you might be better off with thé 230had
  • 2 weeks later...
I was at exactly the same place as you until yesterday when i made my final choice. I cannot tell you anything about the Teac ud 503 other than it looks promising but assembly seems shoty, 5000 units were recalled, and i'm already seeing price drops wich is kind of unusual for a brand new product. I bought the 280d yesterday, the chip is ESS 9018, and i will tell you this: I'm not listening to computer files anymore, i'm earing music for the first time in a long time. This dac is really impressive straight out of the box. Bass is very precise and punchy, highs are precise and natural. Prior to the 280d i was using a Cambridge Stream magic 6v2, let me tell you that everybody who say that all dacs sound identical would crap in their pants if they experienced the results i did. I dont know what chip is in the Oppo, i know it's a Ess sabre chip. I've been researching all over the net for the last 2 months on wich dac to choose and i can only say one thing: dont put too much into chip brand, i have red countless times that Sabre ESS chips make bright almost harsh dacs wich is why it took me so long to make up my mind. I think it's more about chip integration to the rest of the dac. Has for selling the Oppo to buy the 280d i think you would need to do a home listening try out.

It's hard for me to explain how good the 280d really is. My two cents.

Somebody asks about two DACs on 11/25, you join the forum on 11/26 and post a fabulous review about one of them. Hmmmmmm.......

I tested a Moon 280D for a while. I did like it.

I tested it with my CEC TL51x transport and with a laptop. It sounded better with my CEC than with the laptop. I do not know why. My current DAC is the Wadia 12. While it performed better compared to the Wadia it was not a world of difference.

[br]