IGNORED

Article: The exaSound PlayPoint Stereo/Multichannel Streamer Review

ted_b

A question to George of exaSound:

Is there any short term plan in the works to make the PP universally compatible with other DACs beside exaSound DACs?

TIA,

JoseL

This is clearly the biggest question.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

• 1 month later...
George, congratulations on developing such a versatile, cutting edge product.

Of the available options my preference would be to use the PlayPoint as a UPnP renderer. I prefer my DLNA server to be JRiver running on a HTPC because Minimserver still does not support SACD iso files (AFAIK) and I have too many SACD iso files to consider ripping them to dsf. In addition, I think that JRemote is far nicer than BubbleUPnP as a control point.

Regarding gapless support, I understand from the article that Ted has tested the Minimserver + BubbleUPnP combo which does provide gapless. However, this does not mean that JRiver/JRemote will play gapless. I know this because of my recent experience with the new Cambridge Audio 851N streamer which played gapless with BubbleUPnP but not with JRemote.

George or Ted, have either of you tested gapless with JRiver/JRemote?

I can report progress with JRiver/JRemote. The latest JRiver 21 works much better with the PlayPoint updated to firmware version 6:

• The Dark Side of the Moon plays gapless.
  • DSD is streaming native.
  • With JRiver running on Mac and Windows computers with i7 CPU and Gigabit Ethernet connection, we've enjoyed flawless multichannel DSD256 playback.

Unfortunately there are limitations:

• Volume synchronization works only during playback. If you change the master volume when playback is stopped, you will have one volume level displayed by JRiver/JRemote, and another on the DAC/PlayPoint displays. When playback starts the DAC/PlayPoint volume level takes precedence.
  • JRiver is nor responding to the Play/Pause/Next/Previous buttons on the PlayPoint touch screen. We haven't seen this issue with other control point applications.
  • SACD ISO images cannot be streamed.

The workaround for the volume synchronization issue is to control the volume only from JRiver/JRemote and to use Pause instead of Stop. We will approach JRiver to try to find a solution to the remaining issues.

[*]JRiver is nor responding to the Play/Pause/Next/Previous buttons on the PlayPoint touch screen. We haven't seen this issue with other control point applications.
I tried this only briefly assuming that it worked and it did work. I will try it again tomorrow with skepticism. ;-)

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

1) As Chris posted earlier today, exaSound and Roon have certified that the the exaSound Playpoint is now RoonReady. I tested it in firmware 7 and sure enough the Playpoint shows up as a Roon zone. :) I will elaborate more soon (with an update to the body of the review)

2) As you know I have reported the the OpenHome virtual renderer trick (i.e install Bubbleserver and create an OH Playpoint on one's network) works, allowing one to use OpenHome control points like Kazoo with the Playpoint when in DLNA mode. Well, going further, George reports to me that he has a working version of the Playpoint in native OpenHome mode (i.e no BubbleServer needed) with Kazoo working perfectly. We should see this in a couple of weeks.

3) The folks at Sbooster were kind enough to loan me their $350 BOTW 12v-13.2V linear power supply (with Sbooster Ultra add-on) for use with the Playpoint (in fact, they loaned me two, so I tried them in tandem, at both Playpoint and dac). I will report in same review update. Stay tuned. I'll publish in next few days.

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE:

2) As you know I have reported the the OpenHome virtual renderer trick (i.e install Bubbleserver and create an OH Playpoint on one's network) works, allowing one to use OpenHome control points like Kazoo with the Playpoint when in DLNA mode. Well, going further, George reports to me that he has a working version of the Playpoint in native OpenHome mode (i.e no BubbleServer needed) with Kazoo working perfectly. We should see this in a couple of weeks.

Currently, I am using bubbleserver on my NAS and Linn Kazoo as a control point on my iPad. This is working great, but are you saying I no longer need to have bubbleserver on my NAS? So no need to rescan in bubbleserver each time I add new music?

3) The folks at Sbooster were kind enough to loan me their $350 BOTW 12v-13.2V linear power supply (with Sbooster Ultra add-on) for use with the Playpoint (in fact, they loaned me two, so I tried them in tandem, at both Playpoint and dac). I will report in same review update. Stay tuned. I'll publish in next few days.

I am interested in your findings with these.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

• 1 month later...

You’ve been sitting on your hands, waiting for us to pull together all the bits needed for the next firmware update. Finally, exaSound PlayPoint Firmware 8 is available for remote installation! And, because we can’t sit still, we have a surprise for you as well. Read on…

The new Firmware 8 features:

• We’ve added OpenHome support. This means compatibility with your OpenHome world and Linn’s Kazoo, the preferred UPnP control point for iOS, Windows and Mac.

• We’ve added a local UPnP library server too, running right on PlayPoint. This makes it easy to use OpenHome on UPnP. All you need to do is attach a USB drive and connect Kazoo to your PlayPoint. PlayPoint becomes both server and end point.

Version 8 — Full Disclosure:

▪ UPnP server now runs natively on PlayPoint

▪ Added full OpenHome compatibility

▪ OpenHome server now runs natively on PlayPoint

▪ Added support for models without Wi-Fi

▪ New Maximum Volume Limit configuration page

▪ Added an improved AirPlay volume control

▪ Added an improved Network Configuration screen

Now for the surprise…You all know about Roon, you also know we announced that PlayPoint is RoonReady.

In the Dark Old Days, you used to have to run Roon the old fashioned way, on a computer. Now, PlayPoint natively runs the Roon server! Yup, no more computer hassles. Just pull up Roon on your mobile device of choice, iOS or Android, and control Roon right on the PlayPoint.

Head to our web site for an updated Owner’s Manual and a step-by step guide for configuring a local UPnP library for use with Kazoo. If you’d like to run Roon server on your PlayPoint, please drop us a line and we’ll get you in the queue…

As always, thanks for your support and, happy listening!

You’ve been sitting on your hands, waiting for us to pull together all the bits needed for the next firmware update. Finally, exaSound PlayPoint Firmware 8 is available for remote installation! And, because we can’t sit still, we have a surprise for you as well. Read on…

The new Firmware 8 features:

• We’ve added OpenHome support. This means compatibility with your OpenHome world and Linn’s Kazoo, the preferred UPnP control point for iOS, Windows and Mac.

• We’ve added a local UPnP library server too, running right on PlayPoint. This makes it easy to use OpenHome on UPnP. All you need to do is attach a USB drive and connect Kazoo to your PlayPoint. PlayPoint becomes both server and end point.

Version 8 — Full Disclosure:

▪ UPnP server now runs natively on PlayPoint

▪ Added full OpenHome compatibility

▪ OpenHome server now runs natively on PlayPoint

▪ Added support for models without Wi-Fi

▪ New Maximum Volume Limit configuration page

▪ Added an improved AirPlay volume control

▪ Added an improved Network Configuration screen

Now for the surprise…You all know about Roon, you also know we announced that PlayPoint is RoonReady.

In the Dark Old Days, you used to have to run Roon the old fashioned way, on a computer. Now, PlayPoint natively runs the Roon server! Yup, no more computer hassles. Just pull up Roon on your mobile device of choice, iOS or Android, and control Roon right on the PlayPoint.

Head to our web site for an updated Owner’s Manual and a step-by step guide for configuring a local UPnP library for use with Kazoo. If you’d like to run Roon server on your PlayPoint, please drop us a line and we’ll get you in the queue…

As always, thanks for your support and, happy listening!

This is all great...just make it usable with other dacs, sure this product could see a very bigger demand in that case...

• 2 months later...

Good morning,

I've just ordered a PP and an e28 to exasound.

I've a question since I would like to use the PP with Roon and HQPlayer to play DSD256, but I'm not sure if HQPlayer can be used as a NAA by both (Roon and PP). Am I right? if this is the case? how can I play native DSD streams from Roon to PP?

Moreover, If I rightly understand from the net, as of today, Roon does not yet support multi channel tracks playing, so what's my alternative to manage my music library containing multi channels DSD files using PP? JRiver?

Tnx a lot for your support, I'm just starting now with PP/e28.

Cheers.

Good morning,

I've just ordered a PP and an e28 to exasound.

I've a question since I would like to use the PP with Roon and HQPlayer to play DSD256, but I'm not sure if HQPlayer can be used as a NAA by both (Roon and PP). Am I right? if this is the case? how can I play native DSD streams from Roon to PP?

Moreover, If I rightly understand from the net, as of today, Roon does not yet support multi channel tracks playing, so what's my alternative to manage my music library containing multi channels DSD files using PP? JRiver?

Tnx a lot for your support, I'm just starting now with PP/e28.

Cheers.

Hi Riccardo,

Roon doesn’t have multi-channel support. It won’t work in multi-channel mode with or without HQPlayer.

You can use any other mode of operation, except AirPlay. I would recommend HQPlayer or Kazoo with UPnP/OpenHome. Here are the links to the tutorials on our website:

Configuring HQPlayer for use with the exaSound PlayPoint > exaSound Audio Design

exaSound PlayPoint - UPnP/OpenHome Step-by-step Configuration > exaSound Audio Design

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The PP uses a 12/3 PSU. I would like to replace it with a Teddy Pardo but it looks like it would need to be their 12V 4.5A unit. Would that be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.